Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: About GRUB
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:16 pm 

I'm looking for informational direction on where to find out about and learn how to instal-setup and use Grub. I have been to the GRUB web-site and have it in my Fav's to get back to, but I'm on a different learning curve with software than hardware. Say my hardware curve is leveling out now the software curve is vertical. I know GRUB is a boot loader and runs in the background. I plan to use it in my ongoing build which will evolve over a long period of time. I intend to add a second HDD to my build; which I plan to build this summer; but the second HDD will not come into play until W7 64-bit is on the shelf. The origional build will have XP Pro SP3 32-bit to start so I will need to instal GRUB on it before I add the 2nd HDD? The second drive will also get a nice spice of Ubuntu 64-bit. I believe that if I install GRUB on drive #1; power down- unplug drive #1; plug in #2 install W7 64-bit; Power down and reconnect #1 then I can have the ability to install the 64-bit Linux onto a dedicated 64-bit drive. Tell me where I'm thinking wrong and tell me where to find out more about GRUB use[s] and all that good stuff. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:24 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

When you install Ubuntu, grub will be placed on the MBR. Once that happens you can edit your grub.lst (forgot exactly where it is) to list all the OSs. Take note that when you install windows 7 (after ubuntu) a) it overwrites the MBR and you need a live CD to boot into a linux environment and fix grub (search google) and b)Win7 (beta) installs the actual bootloader on the xp partition (it did for me) so when you reinstall grub, the XP boot entry will take you to the microsoft bootloader where you can choose between an older version of windows (XP) and windows 7.

Hope that helps!

Post subject: Try not to LOL
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:57 pm 

MBR stands for?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:14 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Master boot record.

Post subject: just came back to review my post
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:18 pm 

Wow what a couple weeks of reading has made in my limited knowledge base. For any one who checks this post in the future do like I did and go and read a lot of other simi;ar post. I did not need to comment just gained knowledge.
I have recied good help every where in these forums but now I'm trying to learn enough from websites to so I can follow some of the more technical coversation. two thumbs up to the guru's in these post:)

Post subject: Re: About GRUB
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:24 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

polartrouble wrote:
Tell me where I'm thinking wrong

Here.

polartrouble wrote:
I believe that if I install GRUB on drive #1; power down- unplug drive #1; plug in #2 install W7 64-bit; Power down and reconnect #1 then I can have the ability to install the 64-bit Linux onto a dedicated 64-bit drive.

There is absolutely no reason to unplug drives and theres no reason to be installing grub in some fashion as your boot OS (for a lack of terms) until in the end you're ready to install Linux since you're using an OS that already has a bootloader (NT, 2000, XP, Vista, 7).

If you want things the simplest with setup, just install Windows 7 first, then Ubuntu whereas you're telling Ubuntu to install on that 2nd disk. Unbelievably, there are options in the setup where you can tell it to do that.

Post subject: OK
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:33 am 

Gottcha :D I do tend to try and complicate things. Thanks for that information. :)