Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: few questions about diff. os
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:48 am 

my old system is a emachine and i transferred it to a different case but my hd crashed so i am building a new system now. i have a old 120gb hd that's been formatted. so i am wanting to try something different like installing linux but i have a couple questions can i still burn cd/dvd?? and can i also use piratebay and software like that?? also i have seen a system with ubuntu is this a good os. im a complete noob outside of windows. thanx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:35 pm 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

Thanks for showing some interest Lumbee! The AltOS Abode is a great place to ask any Linux/UNIX questions you might have.

Regarding your questions, you can do almost anything in Linux as you can in Windows or MacOS. All of the general use things like browsing the web, burning a CD, writing a paper, managing contacts, spreasheets, making a presentation, some basic gaming, photo editing, and so much more are all covered in a normal Linux install. The only thing you'll have trouble with is when you want to start doing some really niche items like working with Visio products, trying to use Photoshop, or playing today's hottest gaming titles.

There are different "flavors" of Linux available. Some are meant for the seasoned pro, some are meant for the complete n00b, and every where in between. There are also specialty flavors for embedded hardware, a small variety of cellular phones. netbooks, and such. These flavors are called Distributions, or distros for short. There a lots of great sources on the net for learning about Linux, no matter what use you're looking to use it for.

Ubuntu is a great distro for someone like yourself that's just getting their feet wet. It has a good and large userbase, it's very stable, and quite easy to use. Some distros like PCLinuxOS and LinuxMint focus even more on ease-of-use, but Ubuntu is one of the best compromises on all fronts.

Some of my favorite links for learning more about Linux are

http://www.linux.org/lessons/
http://linuxsurvival.com/
http://linuxcommand.org/index.php

I also can't complete this type of post with out a shameless plug to my own Linux blog.

http://thatLinuxguy.wordpress.com

Hope this helps you out some. If you have any more questions, be sure ask.
-TLG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:40 pm 

ok thanx for the quick reply. another question is do i just download it off the ubuntu website and burn the iso. file to a bootable disc?? when i do get it up and running can i access files on a harddrive that has windows on it?? i have some important pictures i really need to get off of the hardrive. or does ubuntu make me format the hd to install it??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:51 pm 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

To get Ubuntu, you can download it via HTTP (going to their website and clicking the "Download Now" button), FTP, or BitTorrent.

Burning the disc can be confusing to someone who's never done it before. What a lot of people do is copy the .ISO file to the disk, and then ask what's wrong with it. What you need to do is burn the image to the disc, not the image file. Get it? I've used ISO recorder and CDburnerXP for these tasks, both with no problems.

Yes, Linux does want you to format whatever partition you install it to, as does any OS. What you can do is back-up those pictures to CD/DVD, or external harddrive, and then Install Linux. If you want to keep Windows too, you can install Linux on the same computer as Windows and choose with one to run at startup. This is called dual-booting, and it's very common. My main machine runs Debian Lenny and Windows XP. If you dual-boot, you can use Ubuntu during the install process to re-size your current Windows partition, making room for Ubuntu. Once you have both OSs installed, you can read your files from the Windows partition. It might take a little bit of effort though. It's simply a slight reconfigure of the utility in Linux that allows you to read/write to other file system formats. With the latest version of Ubuntu, it may be ready to go out of the box. If it isn't, or if you have any other problems, we're here and ready to help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:07 pm 

once i install it and get it up and running could i access my other hd get important pics and info off of it??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:23 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Yep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:25 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

Jipstyle wrote:
Yep

Nice!

Lumbee, yes you can. As a Linux user, THIS is the best tool you can have.