Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Windows Update : MSN messenger 4.7?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:57 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I've recently done a clean install of Windows XP and installed all the drivers, critical updates, and standard programs in the faithful and trusted manner. I go to Windows update and get every thing the list until I have no more to grab. After that, I run it for a while, do some tweaks, then ghost the drive. Cool.

Problem: I begin installing my other not so standard programs which includes MSN Messenger. I go straight to MSN's site and download the latest version (6.2 as of this posting) and install it. Now, every time I go back to Windows Update and there sets "MSN messenger 4.7" sticking out like a sore thumb.
Click here to see the screenshot of the bastard!
I didn't download it and mearly ignored it. But upon trying to initiate a voice conversation, it told me I needed to install MSN messenger 4.7 and it sent me to a link to start the process. So, I stop it and just deal with it. In the same chat, I have my bud start the remote assistance through MSN so I can help him through a Firewall setup. Again, it tries to tell me that I need to install MSN 4.7! So, I do it this time and it installs v4.7.

After that, both 4.7 and 6.2 start with two separate entities in my taskbar. Not only that, but there's two MSN based entries in my MSCONFIG/startup. Sixpointtwo appears in there and in my processes as msnmsgr.exe, and v4.7 is msnmsgs.exe. Not only that, but 6.2 has a folder in "My Programs" named "MSN Messenger" and 4.7 has a folder simply named "Messenger". That gets old quick! 6.2 logs in on start up, the 4.7 makes the sign-in attempt and gives me the "you are logged out because you are already signed in" type message. So...

4.7 does not appear in my add/remove programs list, so I delete the file and yank it completely out of my msconfig/startup (including it's resident reg file entry in HKLM/software/Microsoft/shared tools/msconfig/starupfolder to get the blank entry out of MSCONFIG/Startup) so it's gone as much as I care to get it.

So, here we are today and it's the only thing still on windows update. It now works for Voicechat and other basic MSN Messenger type uses, but I hate that it's still up in my Update list. I confirmed this with my buddy and he said it's in his list too. WTF is this? Should I install it again and just keep it from trying to log on or appear in my taskbar?

Most importantly, Does anyone have any idea why a version 6.2 piece of software needs to update to an older 4.7 version? MSN needs a dictionary :p

Last edited by Chumly on Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:07 am 
Team Member
Team Member

if u really dont like it, just go to the "Personalize Windows Update" link at windowsupdate.com and take it off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:14 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

XHAOS wrote:
if u really dont like it, just go to the "Personalize Windows Update" link at windowsupdate.com and take it off.

Thanks for dropping that hint, and will probably do so. Didn't know I could do that.

But I'm curious if the next time I need to start up "share applications", if it will try to install again. So...I'd love to hear some more input prior to either giving up installing it and hide it or to use your advice and simply not offer it on my update page.

Still, it doesn't make sense. I didn't have this problem at all for a very long time, and now it desides to not only appear on my list, but my buddy's as well.

Anyone else see this on their list?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:20 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I unfortunately cant help u there, as soon as i do a windows install, i delete Messenger or just change the folder it's installed in to a different name so it doesnt load, i use Trillian (Trillian.cc). But as far as i know, if you disable it in the windows update preferences, it wont show up again unless of course you reinstall windows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:53 am 
Chief Surgeon
Chief Surgeon

There really is a difference:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330117&Product=msnmsg

Differences between MSN Messenger 5.0 and Windows Messenger
Only Windows Messenger can connect to the Communications Service and Microsoft Exchange Instant Messaging.

A Communications Service account provides instant messaging in a corporation or in a network. To use a Communications Service account, your company must be using Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) technology. If you are not sure whether your Messenger program permits the use of a Communications Service account, ask your network administrator. With a Communications Service account, you can send instant messages in your corporate network, add other Communications Service users to your contacts list, talk with another Communications Service user by using microphones, and send a file to another Communications Service user.

With Exchange Instant Messaging, Messenger users who are in the same corporation or who use the same computer network can communicate in real time. Exchange Instant Messaging is available to corporations and networks that use Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server.
MSN Messenger 5.0 does not support Messenger application programming interfaces (APIs) when it is installed on Windows XP-based computers. Messenger APIs are used to create custom Messenger programs. If you are running Windows XP and you want to use custom Messenger programs, you must use Windows Messenger. For additional information about Messenger APIs, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/defau ... gerapi.asp

Note Microsoft Outlook 2002, Microsoft Outlook Express 6, and the Remote Assistance feature in Windows XP are examples of programs that use these APIs and depend on Windows Messenger.

SC64

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:29 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Chumly, i think the update you saw was for Windows Messenger. It's the stripped down version of MSN Messenger that comes w/ windows xp. after you download the update, just go into the preferences of windows messenger and disable it from starting upon bootup.

As for the connection b/w the two apps, i had no idea that msn messenger needed the latest windows messenger to run properly. It's weird, but at least now you have what you need to run MSN properly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:07 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Thanks SuperChip! That's exactly what I was wanting to read. That explains why it tells me to update to a lower version in order to use remote procedures. I now run it as I seem to use this feature a lot :p

big_mak wrote:
Chumly, i think the update you saw was for Windows Messenger. It's the stripped down version of MSN Messenger that comes w/ windows xp. after you download the update, just go into the preferences of windows messenger and disable it from starting upon bootup.

Thanks for your reply. however, you are referring to the plain "messenger" which is in no way a MSN product. It's a networking feature that allows you to send cmd messages to all the computers on the network. If you ever get into a decent sized job with an IT department, you'll eventually see a windows notification like "The server will go down in 15 minutes for maintence. Save your current work and meet me in the break room! Estimated time for maintence is 30 minutes. Thank you - Joe Smith, CorpIT". That's messenger talking to you.

Sadly, it's also a big door for spammers to push products or services and why it should be disabled at home. I love messenger at work though! When the manager is away, just jump on his/her PC and netsend your buddy "I need sex, can you help?" Then run over to their office to see their reaction :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:59 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

I was talking about the other windows messenger. I know which one you are referring to, but go through your programs list and you'll see the msn messenger green-man icon next to a program called windows messenger. like i said before, it's a stripped down msn messenger.

MS really should have differentiated b/w the two with some sort of variation in the name.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:41 pm 
Chief Surgeon
Chief Surgeon

Chumly wrote:
Thanks SuperChip! That's exactly what I was wanting to read. That explains why it tells me to update to a lower version in order to use remote procedures. I now run it as I seem to use this feature a lot :p

No Problem, Chumly. It took a little investigating at the good old MSKB. :)

SC64