Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Need help overclocking my GeForce 2 MX400
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:32 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I have an old GeForce 2 and I recently wanted to get more juice out of it. I downloaded Powerstrip and overclocked the engine clock from 200 to 215 MHz. I also overclocked the memory from 167 to 180 MHz. Do you think I can overclock it even more?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:40 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

I've overclocked GeForce2 MX's and Geforce 4 MX's and the performance gains are so minor, with today's 3D games and apps you don't notice the difference unless you measure it with a benchmarking program.

But to answer your question, yes, I've had mine go higher then that, but there's no point in risking a good working video card for gains so minor they have to be measured with a program.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:06 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

I'd have to agree, though it pains me greatly to actually advise against OCing. If that's your main card, it's not worth the risk when you won't notice any benefit. If that's not your main card, it'd serve a better life as a backup in case your main one goes down.

However, if you're simply wanting to experiment and can live without it, then keep pushing. Chances are you'll run into a wall and simply need to back down, but that's not guaranteed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:13 pm 

I have the same card and was not able to get much more out of it than you have before the card started distorting. This was with no additional cooling. I quit putzing with it when it distorted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:03 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/gf4_ti_42 ... ndex.shtml
While that link may not tell you one thing about OC'ing your card, it does have a nice little intro into things to consider in the build of "budget" cards. It goes into some point that the 4600's core design trickled down into these cheap cards around the time the FX's were set to release. It's possible that even an MX could have some fairly decent memory, but I'm not too sure of the core.

I'd say just try it out. Don't jump right up into the high cycles as always, but I say go for it! It's the only way to find out. Oh wait! I have a mx200 or a 400 still around here! I'll try it sometime...I'm stupid like that. I have obviously tried at some point, as I'm just that way...but I don't remember the results at all. I never was excited to have that thing. Anyway, I don't have my hopes up for either your or my attempt...but it should still be a nice jaunt.

If anything, I bet it'll just freeze...not blow up when things are too fast. Coolbits reghack enables OC'ing BTW, and in order to apply the new speeds, it first gives it a quick test. Might be worth the time spent adding this new DWORD to the reg?
------------------------------------------------
Ironic, as I was messing about with my old Ti4200 last night. I thought exactly like One4 mentions: "Well, it improved performance back then, but what about today in games like COD, HL2, etc...?" After all, THE game to push your cards was Quake3.

I bought an Abit GF4 Ti4200 OTES when they were the bee's knees (what...3 years ago now?) The big perk of this card particularly was that it could clock up to, and beyond, the $400 Ti4600's. Anyway, the results back then were pretty impressive. It ran at 300/600 for it's entire lifespan until that system was kicked down in the ranks when it was pushed back to it's 275/500 OEM speeds.

Last night I fired it up, clocked it slowly back up to about 305/600 and ran a real old version of 3Dmark and got a 12,672 (what that means today is pointless I guess) but I just wanted to ensure that it still ran as it did back then.

THEN, I fired up 3DMark03 (3.5.0) and it puked all over the place. It was horrible and I hit the reset just to make it stop. I had figured I'd use 3Dmark05, but '05 reminded me that I couldn't even test that ol' pig (it requires a DirectX9.0 compliant card). Anyway, that obviously shown that time has advanced quite a bit...but what about in games?

I started up COD MP to take a run around with an OC'd card. Now, this card has ran COD just fine and dandy for a while there, but with these big core speeds it choked as well. I reset, lowered the core/memory to 283/550 and it started to play again. I really don't know what this is telling me...but something has changed since quake3/HL1 obviously. (Even used old old det drivers and still crumbed it up).