Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: MP3 player to stereo receiver question
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:15 am 

I have a Sandisk Sansa MP3 player that I hook up to my stereo receiver using a mini to RCA stereo cable. It works but the output level is extremely low. I have to turn the mp3 and receiver vol. all the way up to get a decent listening level. What is the best way to boost the signal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:46 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

Make absolutely sure that you're connecting the output of the MP3 player into a Line Level input jack pair on the receiver, such as "Aux" or "CD" or even "Tape Monitor".

If the MP3 player output is acceptable into a pair of headphones, it will be more than enough to drive a properly operating receiver's Line Input stage.

Post subject: Re: MP3 player to stereo receiver question
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:36 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

beavercleaver wrote:
I have a Sandisk Sansa MP3 player that I hook up to my stereo receiver using a mini to RCA stereo cable. It works but the output level is extremely low. I have to turn the mp3 and receiver vol. all the way up to get a decent listening level.

That's because you've got an impedance mismatch between the headphone out port on the Sansa and the Line input on your receiver.

beavercleaver wrote:
What is the best way to boost the signal?

Ironically mentioned in another thread:

http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/Sear ... uctID=4696

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:07 pm 

Thanks for the tips. I actually found something better then the boostaroo here:
http://www.htd.com/LGB-1
volume is still lower then my other peripherals but much better then before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:22 pm 

Interesting device.

Seems like the perfect solution as long as it stays with the stereo receiver.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:16 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Isn't it just an un-amplified device in an un-amplified input though? Kinda like putting a record player in anything but the Phono?

There's a plethora of connections on many A/V recievers...enough to make me gag. But the Tape in works great with the little iRiver.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:29 pm 

Chumly wrote:
Isn't it just an un-amplified device in an un-amplified input though? Kinda like putting a record player in anything but the Phono?

It's not quite that simple.

Here's the simplest way (and slightly incorrect, but it sorta gets the job done) to understand impedance matching.

Imagine you have two 600 ohm resistors and a voltage source, both resistors are the same value so the voltage is spread between them evenly. This is sorta what happens when you connect a line level output to a line level input.

Now imagine you have two resistors but one is say 75 ohms and the other is 600 ohms. Most of that voltage source is going to hang around the 75 ohm resistor and only a little bit of that voltage is going to hit the 600 ohm resistor. That's what happens when you plug a headphone level device into a line level device.

Keep in mind that using simple resistive circuits to describe a reactive circuit is a bit incorrect because you're dealing with Impedance not Resistance. So the analogy isn't perfect, but it does the job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:56 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Oh, I get that...but isn't that assumed in A/V receivers? Like I state, mine's fine. Wouldn't this be an issue in $50 receivers only?

When I think someone's plugging into a receiver, I'm not thinking of a shelf-type quality unit. If so, this guy would need an adapter for a record player too?

They use to put Ohm values by the connector to tell us. I'm again assuming that since it's gone, it's a given you know where to put the plug and they built it in.

My counterpoint is: that's not what happens when I plug mine in. It works, and I can crank the shit up just fine. Here, he may have limitations...and that's based on what kind of receiver I guess. There's also an iPod part that came with it, but Mac devices are banned around here. But it can't be a universal ideal that we need adapters.

This just feels like an old pioneer or something and trying to get something to work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:14 pm 

Chumly wrote:
Oh, I get that...but isn't that assumed in A/V receivers? Like I state, mine's fine. Wouldn't this be an issue in $50 receivers only?

Nope, any receiver with the traditional red and white analog inputs will experience this problem when you plug a headphone level device into a line level input. It's because all those line level connectors on the back of the receiver are all 600 ohm.

Phono inputs are a different story, only because they include the RIAA reverse EQ circuit needed to playback records correctly (if the phono amp is not built into the record player itself).