Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: usb to rca???
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:49 am 

my dads a truck driver and i want to get him a small and simple device that he can hook up to his tv (composite) to play videos from removable storage.

i was loaning him my dvds but they started coming back scratched(if at all) and i'v riping my movies to a media server to watch on my ps3, so i need a way to switch memory sticks with him when he comes by.
the i-pod video doesn't use removable storage and over priced.
psp and and duo 2 sticks are pricey and he realy wouldn't use it for games and stuff.
i cant find a composite adapter for the nds anywhere but i have an nds and use moonshell to watch video on it but the screen is too small.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:20 am 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

You can't do a USB to RCA adapter, simply because there needs to be hardware in between to translate the USB info into a video signal. Sounds like he either needs to buy his own DVD's, or get a laptop, or a portable DVD player. Maybe a PS3 for blu ray support or something like that will work too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:43 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Not sure what your budget is here. But yeah, I'd probably get him a netbook and run vlc on it for the ripped movies. The additional function of the netbook...wireless g/n, email, IM chat, office apps, etc. would warrant spending the $350 for a 10" screen and 160GB hdd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:18 am 

bigtoyota479 wrote:
You can't do a USB to RCA adapter, simply because there needs to be hardware in between to translate the USB info into a video signal. Sounds like he either needs to buy his own DVD's, or get a laptop, or a portable DVD player. Maybe a PS3 for blu ray support or something like that will work too.

The "hardware in between" is exactly what im asking about. ps3 = to big, to heavy, to hot, to power hungry, to expensive of a peg to fit the hole. its the back of a semi-truck not a 30' pop out rv.

Im thinking more of a mp3/mp4 player with expandable memory and video out(preferably without a screen).

I found something that will work today, i just wish it was a little smaller and a little cheaper. The Western Digital TV HD Media Player!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136325

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:39 am 

A friend made a suggestion to me and I'm surprised nobody else though of it, a digital camera. most digital cameras take and play some format of video, have a/v outputs, use removable storage, and he can take pictures with it.

right now he is using an old digital camera that uses floppies as removable media. this is due for a major upgrade anyway, does anybody have any suggestions (hopefully under $200).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:05 am 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

I'm not sure that a digital camera will work for what you want. Are you wanting to put movies on it and then play them on the TV? Keep in mind if that's what you want to do, you're going to have to convert the DVD's to the format the camera will accept, and may lose some picture quality. Not to mention each DVD takes up 4.7 gb of space.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:49 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

kleinkinstein wrote:
Not sure what your budget is here. But yeah, I'd probably get him a netbook and run vlc on it for the ripped movies. The additional function of the netbook...wireless g/n, email, IM chat, office apps, etc. would warrant spending the $350 for a 10" screen and 160GB hdd.

You can get cheaper ;)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 834220475R

Regular price is $250 - but i've seen these selling for $200 at times - new.

combined with one of these adapters
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6882339047

You'll be able to hook it up to your tv.

That Western Dig HD device looks nice - But I can't recommend it wholeheartedly. Too often these devices show limited format support, requiring conversions for advertised formats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:42 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

schneider1492 wrote:
A friend made a suggestion to me and I'm surprised nobody else though of it, a digital camera. most digital cameras take and play some format of video, have a/v outputs, use removable storage, and he can take pictures with it.

right now he is using an old digital camera that uses floppies as removable media. this is due for a major upgrade anyway, does anybody have any suggestions (hopefully under $200).

A lot of cameras use MJPEG for video.

Expect your typical 700MB DivX/Xvid video to balloon several times that size when converted to MJPEG.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:54 am 

Flytrap7 wrote:
schneider1492 wrote:

A lot of cameras use MJPEG for video.

Expect your typical 700MB DivX/Xvid video to balloon several times that size when converted to MJPEG.

ya i have been researching the codecs used in cameras for video and most use an avi shell around a motion jpeg format. im not sure how much it would balloon up but im sure the quality would be too low. few if any are capable of using a xvid or divix codec.
Beomagi wrote:
kleinkinstein wrote:

You can get cheaper ;)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 834220475R

Regular price is $250 - but i've seen these selling for $200 at times - new.

combined with one of these adapters
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6882339047

You'll be able to hook it up to your tv.

That Western Dig HD device looks nice - But I can't recommend it wholeheartedly. Too often these devices show limited format support, requiring conversions for advertised formats.

I agree about the format support and i think i will look at some netbook's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:18 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

A stack of 50 DVD's is like $20. Burn him movies instead of loaning the original.