Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:20 pm 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

More antennae hence better performance. Can you say 450mbps?

Edit: Only the 5300 has the extra antenna. The 5100 goes to 300mbps and it's slower than the 4965. :o

They also have better range and power management.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:59 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Companies I like so far are:

Sager

Digital Storm

Xotic (basically Sager)

And a single GeForce Go 9800M-GTX should be able to crank WoW at 1900x1200, max settings right? No need to waste money on SLI?

Dell is just behind the curve on this one. Who has the best reliability and customer service?

Would a Centrino 2 system be comparable to a Core 2 system? I know the Centrino systems are a bit cheaper.

For RAM, I think I want a Laptop that uses DDR2 800 vice ones I see with DDR2 667. Thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:04 pm 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

a single 9800m GTX will definitely max out WoW. Even my friend's 9400m GT can get pretty high up there with settings. If all you're going to play is WoW, a $700 computer with a 9600 or 3670 will max out WoW. If you're going to play other games too, then you will want to get the mobile versions of the GTX cards, or the mobile 4870.

Xotic has awesome service from what I've read. GentechPC.com also have excellent support if you buy an Asus laptop.

Dell... I don't like them. They basically stopped making high end laptops after the XPS M1730, which is pretty old, and I don't think that they sel them anymore. They're basically saying "go buy our ridiculously overpriced alienwares!"

Centrino 2 is the platform that the system is based on (kinda like AMD's spider platform, with the Phenom and CrossfireX) Core 2 duo is like the Phenom in that sense. It is the CPU part of the platform.

Centrino 2 is what you want to get.

If you're getting such a high end laptop, make sure you get DDR3. It's faster and takes less power, since there is a very little speed difference between DDR2-667 and 800.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:12 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I don't think I've seen any laptop builds with DDR3 /shrug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:19 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

After further investigation, I have found that I can get a laptop with DDR3. But I would have to sacrifice a 2nd hard drive. IMHO losing that HDD is not worth DDR3. Correct me if I am wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:09 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Correction, Digital Storm offers a laptop with DDR3 and 2 hard drives. But, has a Duo proc instead of a Quad. Not much difference for gaming eh?

It comes with an ATI HD 3870, 512MB video card. I'm seriously behind on the video card developments. Would that be ok to max WoW settings, or go with 2 in Crossfire?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:55 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Azgaryth wrote:
Correction, Digital Storm offers a laptop with DDR3 and 2 hard drives. But, has a Duo proc instead of a Quad. Not much difference for gaming eh?

It comes with an ATI HD 3870, 512MB video card. I'm seriously behind on the video card developments. Would that be ok to max WoW settings, or go with 2 in Crossfire?
C2D is just fine for gaming. I have really only seen my Quad taken full advantage of with Sony Vegas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:53 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Azgaryth wrote:
After further investigation, I have found that I can get a laptop with DDR3. But I would have to sacrifice a 2nd hard drive. IMHO losing that HDD is not worth DDR3. Correct me if I am wrong.

IMO, that is very wrong. You can buy an external drive for <$100 ... how much portable space do you need for data?

At some point, you'll be able to upgrade the single HDD in the laptop as well. You'll never be able to upgrade that laptop from DDR2 to DDR3.

With laptops, it is important to buy the best possible components which are not replaceable ... the other components can be upgraded later as necessary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:14 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Is the laptop your only system? Do you need to have 100% of your stuff with you at all times?

I'd highly recommend an external drive anyway. I have a 100GB in a 2.5 USB enclosure that lives in my laptop bag.

IMO, the cost of DDR3 isn't worth DDR3. The additional hard drive in a laptop seems kinda silly to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:41 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

CrashTECH wrote:
Is the laptop your only system? Do you need to have 100% of your stuff with you at all times?

I'd highly recommend an external drive anyway. I have a 100GB in a 2.5 USB enclosure that lives in my laptop bag.

IMO, the cost of DDR3 isn't worth DDR3. The additional hard drive in a laptop seems kinda silly to me.

Yes, US Navy here. I travel and deploy a lot. I need to have a portable workhorse (coughgamecough) ready to go with minimal baggage. External HDD is not really an option.

I would like to run my laoptop like I run my desktop. OS ONLY on C: and everything else on D:

Now to tackle the graphics question.

Post subject: Re: Laptop replacement questions
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:17 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

Flytrap7 wrote:
Info has been leaked Pre-CeBIT 2009 about some of Clevo's new models. Personally, I'm interested in the D901C replacement which is going to be the D90xF model. No one is certain yet if its going to be i7, but I can't see why not. I'm also assuming they're going to add eSATA and HDMI ports as well. There was also an option for a built in NTSC on the D901C that was removed by the resellers as we get closer to Feb 2009. I get the feeling they may replace that miniPCI socket with an ATSC/QAM tuner, or use the space for something else.
Firewire 800 would be nice too.

Got some more info in this heavy desktop replacement beast.

Still based on the desktop Core2 chips
Will support 16GB of DDR3 (two slots)
Confirmation on the eSATA and HDMI ports

Unverified Claims:

1600Mhz FSB

I did see an Asus laptop with three SODIMM slots so perhaps triple channel RAM in a laptop may not be too far off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:43 pm 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

for DDR3+dual HDD's, search for the Toshiba Qosmio X305.

In desktops, triple channel came with i7. I'm sure that the i7m or whatever they call it will be the first to have triple channel. That asus with the 3 RAM slots ran either 2 at dual channel or 3 at single channel.

Also, look for the Asus W90. 4870x2 in a laptop? Mmmmm.

I think that the second hard drive would be useful, but if you need extra space, go for the $100 1TB external over the $100 320GB internal drive. If you have eSATA in your laptop (and most high end new laptop do) then there's no reason not to go for the external, other than mobility.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:16 pm 

If it's any similar to the D901C, it's got space for 3 HDD's not two.

I saw the Toshiba Qosmio at J&R a few days, definitely not my style. Besides I'm a self proclaimed Clevo Fanboy. However, I am still eyeballing the Asus Eee PC 901 for work related stuff.

Big ass 18 pound laptop at home, 2.2 pound netbook for fieldwork.