Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Questions
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:13 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

Hey guys so atm I'm a college drop out. Couldn't pay the tuition or books.

Im working two jobs and one my jobs is just a temporary office job pushing papers. I was wondering what classes or what i would need to do to try and apply for a position in the company's IT department? Im friends with some of the people that work for the company and they said they would also put in a good work for me.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:43 pm 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

It's really, really, really hard to say. What do you know about computers? Are you talking about just a Helpdesk job answering phones? Or are you looking for more of a DST type gig? (Desktop Support Technicinan). Are you expected to know any programming or networking?

A general good place would be the A+ certification. A lot of places won't take you seriously until you get this cert. It's just a basic certification that you're competent in the installing, configuring, and troubleshooting or hardware and software at a fairly basic level. If you need to know some networking for the job, the Network+ certification is the ground floor. Start there.

Armed with those 2 certs (or at least being able to know a lot of the info associated with them) will get you in pretty good standing to do the job. However, Doing the job and Getting the job are two completely different tasks. Tell us more about the position.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:02 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

I'm not a guru like alot of the guys here on the forums are but i def know more than the average joe. I know that is a very vague answer lol but not sure how else to answer it.

I tried a couple of the practice tests for A+ Cert and I did fairly well but there were some questions where I had no idea what the answer was.

I do not know much about networking other than how to use routers ( wired/wireless ) and opening ports.

The job is only networking and support for employees in the building.

I need to do more on my part and investigate what the qualifications and responsiblities are but while im sitting at my desk I figured I might as well ask you guys :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:06 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Generally, job descriptions and requirements are included in the posting to which you will apply. Check the job boards in your area and figure out what kind of jobs you're likely to apply for and see what the employer requires from you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:04 pm 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

Dwfinitely try to find out the job descriptions for the IT positions.

While youre waiting though, pick up a couple good books to read and enhance your knowledge. Todd Lammle writes an amazing CCNA test prep book that will take your networking knowledge to new heights. It's published by Sybex. Another good one is a good A+ book. Look for Building and Repairing computers by Scott Mueller. Those two books will get you ready for anything an entry level IT job has IMHO. Also, flexing your PC knowledge here on the forums, and asking questions here and with google is a good thing to do too. Lastly, get hands on experience. Dont read about removing malware. Do it. that's the best advice I can offer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:47 am 
Million Club
Million Club

Thanks for all the advice guys