Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 3.4P4 @ 3.57
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:05 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

So far its stable, too :)! But uhm, call me a retard, but I cant find where to OC the RAM on the ASUS P5AD2 Premium BIOS. It can but not without something else, like if I wanna OC my DDR2 533 to 600 (or even 667) it'd have to OC the FSB to 890/888 (anyone who has the P5AD2 premium, its Advanced > Jumperfree Settings > Overclocking Profile > FSB 890/DDR2-600. I have it set to OC 5% on the proc, but how do I OC the RAM to 600/667 without incresing the FSB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:44 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

You're confusing something here...and one is me.

In order to get to 3.57 (which isn't much at all), you had to have bumped the FSB to 210Mhz. So...what did you use? One of the presets in the BIOS?? If so:

You're going to have to go around all that and adjust the FSB yourself. See, that preset stuff (5%) is simply the easy way for people to OC in one click. It's doing the same thing you can do manually. And let me tell ya, 890/888 isn't going to happen...unless you mean 222Mhz FSB for an effective speed of 888. But then again, 5% should be that requested 888...see, I'm all confused. And still, that isn't much either.

And to OC the memory without OC'ing the FSB, which both the CPU and Memory sit, on isn't possible either. Overclocking IS changing the FSB.

What you really need to do is keep using those presets until you study up a little more. Things can go really bad if you jump in too soon. Read the manual. It's pretty clear in section 4 on what you want to do. When you're ready and have the guts, change the Aibooster to "manual" and start changing things.

But I'd really really advise you to look around the forums and try and understand what others are chatting back and forth about. Maybe even visit some "PC basics" page so you can understand what the FSB is, does, and what changing it can do.

I'm sorry if i'm talking down to you, but there really is a lot more to this OC'ing thing that really needs to be understood to partake in the fun. We have a couple P5AD2 Premium users in here (including me) that can help walk you through. But I'd like to not just tell you what to do or buy, but rather teach you so you can experiment a little better.

Post subject: Re: 3.4P4 @ 3.57
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:37 am 
Celeron
Celeron

Kyl3 wrote:
So far its stable, too :)! But uhm, call me a retard, but I cant find where to OC the RAM on the ASUS P5AD2 Premium BIOS. It can but not without something else, like if I wanna OC my DDR2 533 to 600 (or even 667) it'd have to OC the FSB to 890/888 (anyone who has the P5AD2 premium, its Advanced > Jumperfree Settings > Overclocking Profile > FSB 890/DDR2-600. I have it set to OC 5% on the proc, but how do I OC the RAM to 600/667 without incresing the FSB.

To tell you the truth, overclocking just the RAM is probably pointless. You can, by the use of dividers, but it's pointless. You'll see very little (if any) performance gains.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:38 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

No I understood what you said perfectly, and I just didnt word myself clear enough. I know what all those things are. Its just I AM a n00b to OC'ing and I dont wanna blow my chip up ('specially since it has stock cooling) and since its already running at 118F without OC'ing so I'd thought I'd ask you guys for help.