Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Google G1
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:29 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

Any G1 owners want to share their experience with the phone? My current main concern now is the size of it. I don't want to wear a belt holster, but I don't know if I can stand having it in my pocket either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:46 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

I freaking love mine!!! it really isn't that large...i have it in a jeans pocket sitting down right now, and can't even feel it...

I got it just cause, and I was sick of my Wing...it has surprised me at just about every turn...I have had VERY few let downs...and the let downs I have had are so small, I don't even remember exactly what they were...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:37 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

nebbuchanezzar wrote:
I freaking love mine!!! it really isn't that large...i have it in a jeans pocket sitting down right now, and can't even feel it...

I got it just cause, and I was sick of my Wing...it has surprised me at just about every turn...I have had VERY few let downs...and the let downs I have had are so small, I don't even remember exactly what they were...

Pretty good to hear. Do they have covers for the phone that still lets you flip out the screen? I'd imagine scratches if you leave it in your pocket w/o a cover.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:26 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

well, it comes with a kinda snazzt little slip cover that I still use, but I am used to having my bulky wing on my belt...that is what I prefer...so I am thinking about going back to that...

but as far as cases, T-Mobile really hasn't had any any time I went in...but check Amazon...they have PAGES of cases/covers/misc protective doo-dads for it...some that look fun to me are the covers/skins or w/e that have a matching wallpaper...

In fact, Here is the exact OEM case it comes with

and it also comes with a screen protector ON it from the factory...it has a little tab to pull it off easier if you dont want it...this tab is perforated. I just removed the tab and my screen is still 100% unscratched... my brother got his phone at the same time as I did, and I believe he removed the entire protector, and doesn't use the slip case, and his is scratched to hell already...we got them the DAY they launched...lol. so, yes it will scratch easy enough if it is not cared for...but with just a little care, it looks great.

I have shown it to all my friends, and they all love the phone also...it has a ton of fun apps. and even my non tech savvy friends like the phone. my tech savvy friends like it even more, cause you can SSH and all from it.

I would say right now, the only things that come to mind as bothersome is the filesystem is I guess read only? you can't browse the phone out of the box, and the browser app doesnt have support for anything, you can see there is a jpg in a folder, but cant open it through the app...and the other is that you have a task manager, but it wont let you kill stuff...if an app freezes, it will ask you if you want to force close, but you cant go to the task manager and just say force close browser for no reason...

as I said earlier, there ARE problems with the phone, but nothing that has gotten me so bad it really bothered me, just kind of slight disappointment, but that is the other thing...the phone is Open-Source, so SOMEONE will probably get all these things I said fixed...just a matter of time as I see it... :-)

WOW!!! I just realized how much I typed...lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:22 am 
Northwood
Northwood

LOL, well, thanks for the reply. My bro and I went into the T-Mobile store and ended up with him getting the G1 and me keeping my old one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:18 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

I'd never be able to use a phone that didn't sync with exchange.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:23 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

Spider Monkey wrote:

Is that a hardware limitation though? Wonder if someone can write an app for Exchange sync down the line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:39 pm 

cigar3tte wrote:
Spider Monkey wrote:

Is that a hardware limitation though? Wonder if someone can write an app for Exchange sync down the line.

I think it is a hardware limitation. Otherwise I'd assume that orignal Plams would have been able to sync.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:28 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Actually, it was a software limitation, and there already IS an app to sync with exchange...I have not used it as I do not use exchange at all...but it is there, and has 4 stars over 79 ratings, and 1000-5000 downloads [stats in the market]

Just FYI... ;-)