Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: New Toy: LG X110
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:04 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Well, I broke down and got myself a new netbook. I've been wanting to do more writing and such, but haven't had a portable to work on. I've also been wanting to do some iPhone development, but this is only possible on an Intel-based Mac. So, I've been looking for a single solution to both problems: likely a MacBook or MBP.

However, the idea of dropping $1300+ on obsolete hardware just to be able to run OSX doesn't appeal to me. Also, even the Air (overpriced as it is) was far too expensive and a bit too large for what I wanted.

Rather than pay for a solution, started looking into hacking a netbook to run OSX (aka, a netbook Hackintosh). The most obvious candidates were quickly apparent: the MSI Wind is an easy winner, since OSX installs on it without any problems and with full hardware support. Dell's Mini9 and Mini12 are also candidates, along with quite a few others.

One netbook that quickly caught my eye is LG's X110. It is a clone of the MSI Wind and while I can't find anyone on the internet who as successfully hacked it to run OSX, I figure it won't be much trouble .. just some modifications of the MSI Wind's install. More importantly, the Euro versions of this netbook come with a 3G modem .. broadband wireless anywhere! The NA versions don't have the modem installed, but you can buy one and install it yourself ... fantastic.

Long story short: I'm now the proud owner of a new LG X110 ... I'll use this thread to document my hacking and installation of OSX, Debian and Vista. Stay tuned.

Last edited by Jipstyle on Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:18 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

I am going to have to keep an eye on this too. I will be interested to see what you come up with.

FWIW, I did get OSx running on my Inspiron 1520. It worked pretty well. I didn't keep it as I had some weird issues with dual booting. I am tempted to buy another hard drive and keep it around to run OSx.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:28 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Now I wonder if I posted this in the wrong section. It could easily have gone in Alt.OS (triple-booting a netbook) or Programmer's (hacking a netbook to be able to use the iPhone SDK). :lol:

More updates soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:08 pm 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

Oooh nice. Good luck on the Hackintosh. It'll be interesting to see how it runs on an atom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:21 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Jipstyle wrote:
More updates soon.
You should probably start a thread in Alt.Os and sticky it. It seems more and more people are wanting to try this.

I am planning on trying it on my desktop machine, so maybe we'll end up being the "experts" (and I use that term loosely!) on that here?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:04 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

CrashTECH wrote:
Jipstyle wrote:
More updates soon.
You should probably start a thread in Alt.Os and sticky it. It seems more and more people are wanting to try this.

I am planning on trying it on my desktop machine, so maybe we'll end up being the "experts" (and I use that term loosely!) on that here?

I think I'll do that this evening ... good suggestion.

The problem is the 'grey area' involved with Hackintoshes ... we'll have to moderate the discussion closely. So it makes even more sense to push the discussion into a folder I mod ... ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:40 am 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

Noes! I don't read that section. Stay here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:55 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Spider Monkey wrote:
Noes! I don't read that section. Stay here!
We will post a link for you... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:50 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Our friendly admin, Satch, has moved this thread here and left a shadow for the Monkey to find it.

At the moment, I'm running Windows 7 and OSX on this netbook and, frankly, both OSes are fantastic.

How fantastic? This is my only computing device which doesn't run some flavour of linux for 90% of its uptime. In fact, the closest this netbook comes to linux is the somewhat-related BSD core of OSX.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:09 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Which kernel for OSx did you use? A vanilla with manual ktexts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:19 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Yep. I used the distro based on the MSI Wind and added kernel extensions (kexts) for my wireless card. Everything else .. works.

I'm really hoping to find a way to get multi-touch gestures enabled. The Synaptics pad in my netbook is the same hardware as the ones used in MB and MBPs, so it is possible. I just have to figure out how

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:53 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Jipstyle wrote:
I'm really hoping to find a way to get multi-touch gestures enabled. The Synaptics pad in my netbook is the same hardware as the ones used in MB and MBPs, so it is possible. I just have to figure out how
Are you sure? I thought the multi-touch was a product of those glass touch pads?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:58 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Well, I was sure ... until you doubted me. So I did some research and can't find a conclusive answer.

I did find this article about multi-touch touchpads from Synaptic, though, which makes me optimistic.

It'll be easier to get multi-touch enabled under Windows7 than OSX, though, if the Apple hardware is not Synaptics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:04 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

From January 2008 :: http://gizmodo.com/347245/macbook-pros- ... h-trackpad

No multi-touch? :: http://gizmodo.com/360805/why-no-macboo ... non+answer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:09 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

The first article answers our question: "Sources at iFixit have told us that the Broadcom BCM5974 Multitouch controller chip, the hardware component for multitouch in the iPhone and Macbook Air" .... so it is not a Synaptics part after all.

I must have been confused by stories about Synapics and multi-touch and assumed that they also made the parts in the Apples .. apparently not. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:28 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

It would have been huge for Synaptics... they make everything NON mac it seems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:34 pm 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

How does OSX work on your netbook? I've tried to run it on a VMware virtual machine, using 2GB of RAM and 1 core of my CPU (2GHz, 2MB L2 cache, 800MHz FSB) It's VERY slow. It takes a good 45 seconds just to open up safari, which is pitiful.
I'm running Mac OSX tiger, BTW.

Also, I've gotten a few of the new touchpad features enabled on my laptop. It's not exactly multitouch, but it's better than just having the plain jane touchpad. For example, an option called ChiralMotion can scroll by fingering a small circle on the touchpad.
The 4 corners of the touchpad do different functions, like the top left corner minimizes the window, top right closes it, and the bottom left and right corners are the back and forward buttons, respectively.
They also have a feature called "momentum" where if you go off the edge of the touchpad, the pointer keeps going a short distance in the direction you were fingering.

The only thing is that it doesn't support true multi touch, meaning no pinch-zoom, no 2 finger zoom, etc.

It's using a modded driver made for the Acer Gemstone series. It's a windows driver, so I'm assuming that it won't work in OSX, but hey. Windows 7 will get a use from it.

Link:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=218872

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:45 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Well... unless I buy a new motherboard, I think I might be SOL on OSX. nForce chipsets aren't highly supported / are very finiky. Probably why I never got it to work well in a VM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:42 pm 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

I think that the Slowness in the virtual hackintosh is a result of the virtual machine itself. I tried a lowly nLite'd version of XP on a virtual machine (gave it 1 core and 1.5GB RAM) S.L.O.W. My OLD computer with 512MB RAM and an 800MHz P3 runs XP faster than the virtual machine. Oh well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:20 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Really good post over at Insanely mac:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php? ... p=835760&#