Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Power adaptors for Singapore!!!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:24 pm 

I'm going to study in Singapore next semester and I need to know where I can purchase a transformer/adapter for my electronics to convert from socket G 230 volts (theirs) 50 hz to us standard 120v socket A or B at 60 hz.

It really bothers me that the frequency is different, but I assume most electronics can handle it. Am i right?

Also, does anybody have an idea on how my Sprint phone can be modified for use there or am I simply supposed to purchase a prepaid phone there?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:35 am 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

One thing about cell phones in places like Singapore, Japan and South Korea. Once you get there, the damned things are cheap as hell. It's also the norm to buy one from a street side vendor and then use any vendor to reload it.

When I went to Korea, I bought the transformers from other residents who were leaving. However, most of my stuff was ready for 240V, 50Hz. The large majority of desktop and Laptop PSU's are capable of operation from 110-240V and 50/60Hz. Many are auto switching and all you need to do is make sure you get adapters for the plugs to fit their wall sockets.

For other items, like my TV, that didn't have 240 ability, I bought small transformers and used those to power those items. The transformers you can buy here are very expensive, but of better quality. The ones I ended up buying over there were 1/4 the cost, they were used, and worked fine the whole year I was there.

Two things to not even consider taking over. Mini-fridges and microwaves. Buy those locally. The amps those things pull if not set up to auto switch 110/240 is too much for all but the largest, most expensive transformers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:09 pm 

You'll have to buy a new phone, Sprint phone wont work over there. Most of the world uses GSM, not CDMA.

The good news is that phones are not that expensive, a good one can be had for $50-100.

Enjoy Singapore, very cool place!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:29 pm 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

Please check the dates on the last post in a thread. This one is over two months old. Our limit is 30 days. This allows us to keep only relevant topics active.

Welcome to the forums.