It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: sucka pay
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:15 pm 
Hired Gun
Hired Gun

Jipstyle wrote:
I'm not disputing that at all!

Entry level pay, though, is not something that I would brag about or claim to be 'real money' ... it is a good place to start.

You know me, Hit ... the only people allowed to brag on this forum are me, myself, and I. And some monkeys. And people I like. And people who brag about things I like. And girls.

Jipstyle: Bringing Hypocrisy to New Levels since 1974!

;)

50K hits home with me, and you were starting to make me feel worthless. Please excuse me while I go recycle some cans so I can buy a 6 pack of Milwaukie’s best, and a newspaper for a blanket.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:38 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Ack. I'm sorry. :(

I suppose I should preface my comments with 'it depends where you live' and 'the market determines income' and other stuff like that .. but it drains the funny.

50K in Halifax will buy you a house within 20 minutes of downtown and a car to drive there ... a good salary.

50K in Vancouver will buy you a bus pass and a lease on a 1 bedroom apartment. The cockroaches and crack dealers are free! Not such a good salary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:12 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Don't get me wrong I love working with computers. However, if I had different options today as opposed to 10-years ago, I would not be in the computer field today.

For starters, anyone who wants some real advice, please don't do the break/fix PC shop thing. If you can help it, do not do the phone support thing. If anything, start with at least desktop support and within few years 2-3 try to get into networking.

Don't allow yourself to get stuck in whatever area you choose for too long or you'll find you'll never leave.

Certs are just that - a cert in reality no one really cares too much these days. Granted you might have a slight edge over someone else but if you have say 5 years as a SQL programmer exp. and someone else has 2 years but with some SQL cert....I'm going with the individual who has 5 years. Real world exp means much more than paper.

With today's market there are Sr. level people going for the same jobs that Jr. Level people are shooting for. This means the market is extremely competitive. Again this is just my feeling. I would attempt another field if you are able too.

computer field pros.
- Great feeling when you solve a tough problem
- great to help people
-Always keeping up with the latest technology

Cons.
- Very long hours
- On call 24/7 generally
- Can be frustrating trying to solve tough issues
- At the mercy of listening to someone bitch or complain
- Need to always learning something new. This means good luck trying to relax.