Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: ventrilo?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:06 pm 

Unable to activate DirectSound for selected device.
DirectSoundCaptureCreate failed. HR=DSERR_NODRIVER. No sound driver is available for use

using a p5q pro i just bought and vista premium 64 bit.. installed the drivers with the mobo cd and i get speaker sound but i can't get ventrilo to work :(

anyone have any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:51 pm 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

Check for updates on the drivers and for DirectX.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:55 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Vista doesn't use direct sound that's why vent isn't working. Vent doesn't support Vista at this time. When Microsoft coded Vista they changed and rewrote the AIP sound layer with no support for direct 3D surround sound. The reason vent can't find your sound card is because the driver for it under Vista isn't a direct 3D sound driver. You may have to dual boot your system and use XP as your gaming platform till Vent catches up with Vista. If there is a work around I haven't found it and someone who has will have to post it. KOMMANDER

I did some more reading after I posted and apparently some folks have gotten Vent to work but not without a lot of problems especially under Vista 64 bit. Make sure you have the latest drivers for your sound card and instead of using the direct sound driver and hardware acceleration let vent use the sound wave and see if that works.KOMMANDER

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:26 am 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

Nice call KOMMANDER. I totally screwed the pooch on that one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:07 am 
Willamette
Willamette

bigtoyota479 wrote:
Nice call KOMMANDER. I totally screwed the pooch on that one.

I've done that on more than one occasion myself. I just hope breach will post back and let me know if my suggestion works. I use to use vent several years ago and do remember that you could choose to not use the direct 3D hardware acceleration and use the wav out put option instead. The sound won't be as good as hardware would be but if it does work it will be better than nothing. KOMMANDER

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:14 pm 

Dont listen to KOMMANDER.

Ventrilo has always worked in Windows Vista, even when Vista was still in beta.

Even Flagship (The developer of ventrilo) said this about Windows Vista in June of 2006:
Quote:
I finally managed to get Vista installed on my test machine. Never seen an OS be picky about the the drive type.

Anyway, after getting all drivers setup and the system stabalized I was able to get ventrilo up and running with 0 problems. I just now started a continuous stream and will let it run for a while. But it looks like it works fine for me.

The only widespread problem people had when Vista was still in beta was the PTT not always working. Even still, there was a work around for it.

Now what causes the "HR=DSERR_NODRIVER" error...
    1) Make sure that your headphones and mic are completely plugged in & that they are in the correct ports. Windows vista and certain sound cards (including onboard) are able to detect the headphones / mic being unplugged and it will result in that error.
    2) Make sure that you have the latest drivers for your sound card and that the software is installed and running. There is normally a program that starts with windows for the sound that comes with the drivers. Do not delete it from the startup.
    3) Make sure you are running the latest version of DirectX

Those are the main things that i have found fix that specific error.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:18 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Teck wrote:
Dont listen to KOMMANDER.

Ventrilo has always worked in Windows Vista, even when Vista was still in beta.

Even Flagship (The developer of ventrilo) said this about Windows Vista in June of 2006:
Quote:
I finally managed to get Vista installed on my test machine. Never seen an OS be picky about the the drive type.

Anyway, after getting all drivers setup and the system stabalized I was able to get ventrilo up and running with 0 problems. I just now started a continuous stream and will let it run for a while. But it looks like it works fine for me.

The only widespread problem people had when Vista was still in beta was the PTT not always working. Even still, there was a work around for it.

Now what causes the "HR=DSERR_NODRIVER" error...
    1) Make sure that your headphones and mic are completely plugged in & that they are in the correct ports. Windows vista and certain sound cards (including onboard) are able to detect the headphones / mic being unplugged and it will result in that error.
    2) Make sure that you have the latest drivers for your sound card and that the software is installed and running. There is normally a program that starts with windows for the sound that comes with the drivers. Do not delete it from the startup.
    3) Make sure you are running the latest version of DirectX

Those are the main things that i have found fix that specific error.

I have no problem with him not listening to my advice since yours obviously works. My advice was based on what little I know which in this case is what I was able to google since I don't use Vista. Be that as it may I hope by using your method he is able to get vent going and problem solved. KOMMANDER

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:41 am 
Willamette
Willamette

i use vent in vista 100% ok? try re-installing the drivers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:17 am 
Million Club
Million Club

jacob938 wrote:
i use vent in vista 100% ok? try re-installing the drivers.

Same here since before SP1 as well.