Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Pimp My Rig!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 6:22 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

With all the "pimp my ride" type shows about and with MPC now getting pimpped out paint jobs on computers, it would be kewl for them to have a monthly "Pimp My Rig" article.

Take someone's computer and pimp it out like the Dream Machine or this month's "Orange Peel" rig.

Have a rule like you have to use the same case or motherboard AT MINIMUM and then pimp out readers rigs.

Just something to think about. If it can't be done with reader's stuff, then maybe just pimp out one of your own rigs each month.

I know it would be pricey - but folks seem to love shows like this (OCC, Pimp my ride, Jesse James, etc...) SO why not articles? And put some humor in it - I watch OCC to see how mikey is doing (like has he lost any fingeres yet).

Just a thought

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 7:36 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

That sounds interesting, only thing is Im not sure the same audience that likes that general type of show would enjoy it as much.

I mean I dont think it would cause more people to read the mag...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 7:45 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

SomeGuy wrote:

Maybe...

Sounds like a poll is coming :)

ANyways, I would love to read about a new and different pimpout every month myself.

Definatley feel a poll coming on.

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:24 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Very interesting idea. In regards to the audience, maybe a change of title would help, such as "Mod My Rig"? Regardless, I'd like to see something along those lines, so long as the creativity varies enough from month to month.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 12:47 pm 

I love the idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 11:37 pm 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

The editors like the idea too, it's something that someone pitched during our last brainstorming meeting. However, we don't really have the budget to drop $5k in someone's rig every month.

We all want to make it happen, but it probably won't be a monthly thing. We're thinking it would be a cool annual story, but that's not official :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:07 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

SomeGuy wrote:
That sounds interesting, only thing is Im not sure the same audience that likes that general type of show would enjoy it as much.

Exactly. I despise that show. I'd rather see something like "monster PC", but then it's just another rip-off and hard to think of anything to make.

Now, a "American Chopper" theme would be cool! Like, go to Falcon and look in their shops. Maybe we can catch them fighting...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:33 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

WillSmith wrote:
The editors like the idea too, it's something that someone pitched during our last brainstorming meeting. However, we don't really have the budget to drop $5k in someone's rig every month.

We all want to make it happen, but it probably won't be a monthly thing. We're thinking it would be a cool annual story, but that's not official :)

::raises hand:: pick me! pick me! i want to be the first!

i think the "pimp my rig" would be a very good addition to the mag.....maybe once in a while instead of the rig of the month

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:29 pm 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

WillSmith wrote:

As far as budget goes, I don't think a full 5K is needed on each rig. I also don't want to see this replace the Rig of the Month thing. That single page in the mag is one I spend a bit of time reading and re-reading.

Depending on the format you choose (like building your own creation like moster Garage or WCC - or pimping someones rig like "pimp my ride") you would have some options to consider.

In a number of modeling mags I look at (great source of exterior mod techniques), they run three parters on a particular project when it is involved and expensive. One that sticks out in every geeks wet dream is a 3 parter of a TOS 72" Enterprise scratch build. Sure, its just a model, but if I had the skills for the build up that would have been one hell of a wi-fi - and hub system hanging from my living room ceiling.

I wander off topic..

So, if you had 3 x 3 part series on a rig - per year, that covers 9 months. Each month preceding a new project you print a 1/4 page tease. That fills out the year. Get a sponsor for each project to throw in some cash for pimping thier name.

And you know series articles often sell mags at the stands or increase subs. I mean, who only wants parts one and two?

Keep in mind you don't have to build dragsters everytime. A reliable storage server in the likes of R2D2 is nice. Or skip the SciFi and put a media center inside a piece of modern sculpture.

Of Course - now you have the problem of having someone around with that type of imagination (or maybe you already do).

Anyways - thanx for the reply.

Sorry about the spelling et al, I am kinda on the road

Manta