Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Fastest USB memory device?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:52 am 

I have to frequently transfer a large number of large files from other peoples computers and transfer them to my own. Frequently, I do this under a severe time crunch.

I'd like to know what the fastest combination for large file transfer is. Is it a particular brand of USB stick, or is it a SDHD card in a USB adapter, or is it a different tech altogether? I'm looking for something with at least 8GB capacity, preffereably more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:05 am 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

Fastest solutions at the top, and go down in terms of speed (in Megabits per second).

If both computers are equipped with Gigabit Ethernet (1000Mbps), I'd simply use a crossover cable.

If not, if both computers are running WinXP and have Firewire, I'd do IP over Firewire (400Mbps).

Else, I'd use a crossover cable between Fast Ethernet (100Mbps) cards/controllers.

Finally, if you absolutely have no other choice copy to a piece of flash memory (ie Class 4 SDHC = 32Mbps) walk it over to the other machine and copy it again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:55 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

What about a USB 2.0 stick? Aren't the dual-channel sticks considerably faster than a card reader? (I'm asking because I'm not sure).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:20 pm 

Flytrap, if I had all the time in the world and no worries about existing network setups, then yes a crossover solution would be speedy.

But this is what I'm faced with:
5 minutes before giving a presentation, an overworked genius makes huge changes to his PowerPoint file and includes a ton of video files. I need to get them all PRONTO!

USB is the solution I need, as everyone has one of those.

I see class 4 SDHC, I also now see class 6 SDHC. How do these compare with say a Corsair Flash Voyager?

On that note, anyone notice any differences in the card readers themselves?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:19 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

xxPaulCPxx wrote:
Flytrap, if I had all the time in the world and no worries about existing network setups, then yes a crossover solution would be speedy.

But this is what I'm faced with:
5 minutes before giving a presentation, an overworked genius makes huge changes to his PowerPoint file and includes a ton of video files. I need to get them all PRONTO!

USB is the solution I need, as everyone has one of those.

I see class 4 SDHC, I also now see class 6 SDHC. How do these compare with say a Corsair Flash Voyager?

On that note, anyone notice any differences in the card readers themselves?

Don't know about the other choices but I have a Corsair Flash voyager 4 gig and it is dog slow. If speed is a consideration I would avoid that particular option

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:44 pm 

OK, I'm a dork. I had the answer sitting in front of me the whole time.

I've just replaced my 100GB ATA 7200 laptop HD with a 250GB. On someone elses recomendation, I compared it with my 2 GB Cruzer Micro.

Woooooowwwww. What pile of sand has MY head been in? 1.03 GB to the drive in 56 sec, back to the laptop in 34 seconds.

Thanks guys for helping me think this through.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:30 am 
Willamette
Willamette

I have the cosair survivor and it's pretty quick, i think my LG flash drive was more faster but the Survivor is decent not to mention it's tough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:48 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

About two years ago, I went thru this very same progression. Get yourself a Dual-Channel USB flash drive. I went with OCZ. Their Rally Drives are 2-channel and their speeds are blazing! Another option if you need big space is a 10k rpm 3.5" or 7.2k rpm 2.5" internal drive in a sleek Vantec external case that has e-sata or firewire. This is the best local connection we have until we are blessed with USB 3.0.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:02 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

For fast storage devices USB2 is the bottleneck.

This is why I use eSATA in addition to USB2 in my external HDD enclosures. It definitely speeds up large data transfers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:14 pm 

Wow, that would be super awesome! As long as every computer built in the last 5 years was equiped with an eSATA port.

While I'm at it, I should just ask them to beam me the info over their UWB device built into their 3 year old $500 laptops!

No, wait... i could ask them to hand over their 300GB Raptors...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:05 pm 

kleinkinstein wrote:
About two years ago, I went thru this very same progression. Get yourself a Dual-Channel USB flash drive. I went with OCZ. Their Rally Drives are 2-channel and their speeds are blazing! Another option if you need big space is a 10k rpm 3.5" or 7.2k rpm 2.5" internal drive in a sleek Vantec external case that has e-sata or firewire. This is the best local connection we have until we are blessed with USB 3.0.

I have a OCZ Rally2, a Flash Voyageur GT, and a Lexar Lightning. The Lexar is about 20% faster than the GT and twice as fast as the dog slow OCZ. Writes are around 18 MBs/sec and reads well over 22 MBs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:36 am 

speeds on a flash device can be greatly affected by how it is formatted! for large files a larger file allocation unit size is preferable, but if you have a large allocation unit size and try to transfer a bunch of small files it can take hours and each file can actually take up more space than its actual size.

as far as brand goes i got one Sandisk Cruzer, a Newegg.com brand (ya they actually make there own brand keys), 2 PNY Optima pro gold, and a no name one off eBay for $1. the Cruzer is noticeably faster than the Optima and i haven't really tested the newegg as im using it for readyboost because vista said the optima was too slow.

Quote:
Another option if you need big space is a 10k rpm 3.5" or 7.2k rpm 2.5" internal drive in a sleek Vantec external case that has e-sata or firewire.

Most 10k hdd's require active cooling or at least air-flow, something most external enclosures lack.

Quote:
For fast storage devices USB2 is the bottleneck.

Usb 2.0 caps off at 450mbps. this is a bottle neck, but when transfering to a usb key you will never see 100mbps.

i would honestly recommend a usb harddrive unless your prone to droping things. you can find an 80gb under $50 on newegg and there not much bigger than a deck of cards and a crap load faster than any usb key.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:33 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

320GB @ 5400rpm w/8mb cache for $60 or 7200rpm w/16mb cache for $70 inserted in a $13 Vantec and you'll be set for a good long time!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:36 am 

kleinkinstein wrote:
320GB @ 5400rpm w/8mb cache for $60 or 7200rpm w/16mb cache for $70 inserted in a $13 Vantec and you'll be set for a good long time!

ya and I'm sure he will have a swell time lugging around a huge power brick, crawling under co-workers desks looking for a free power socket with an empty slot next to it (as the brick will cover 2 outlets on a serge protector), and trying to find a socket on all fours in the middle of a conference room full of board members. but i would still stick with the smaller usb powered one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:12 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

schneider1492 wrote:
ya and I'm sure he will have a swell time lugging around a huge power brick, crawling under co-workers desks looking for a free power socket with an empty slot next to it (as the brick will cover 2 outlets on a serge protector), and trying to find a socket on all fours in the middle of a conference room full of board members. but i would still stick with the smaller usb powered one.

?

that enclosure can go USB or external power.

only downside is sometimes you will need the included USB "Y" cable for USB ports that cant give the whole 500ma (like many notebook ports) or if the HD wants more than 500ma.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:59 am 

schneider1492 wrote:

Dude, relax. 2.5" HDDs can be powered by USB Bus power.

(and it's surge, not serge)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:32 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Flytrap7 wrote:
schneider1492 wrote:

Dude, relax. 2.5" HDDs can be powered by USB Bus power.

(and it's surge, not serge)

:arrow: schneider1492 :roll: