Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Does this make sense?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:27 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Im going for a Computer science degree but i want to get a A+ certification.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:53 pm 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

the A+ cert is good for IT professionals, and computer repairers. It won't do anything for computer science. However, it WILL help you land a nice job working with computers in college (think bestbuy geeksquad).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:37 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

avanish11 wrote:
the A+ cert is good for IT professionals, and computer repairers. It won't do anything for computer science. However, it WILL help you land a nice job working with computers in college (think bestbuy geeksquad).
Doesnt geek squad pay like $9.50?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:29 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

xxmainframexpxx wrote:
avanish11 wrote:

Yeah, GeekSquad isn't the high-point of Computer Diagnosis/Repair, but it's a job. In my area, $9.50 isn't bad for a retail position. In Northern California, it's pretty much the unofficial minimum wage.

However, just as recent as yesterday went paroozing (sp?) for jobs mainly under the searches "Helpdesk", "Desktop Support Technician", "Network Technician", and "Network Analyst". Most of the available jobs were DST positions and nearly all of them either desired or required an A+.

Most IT professionals don't really work with hardware, so the A+ really isn't as important in light of certs from the likes or Microsoft, Red Hat, Sun Microsystems, Cisco, Nortel, Oracle, VMWare, etc. But for most of the entry level jobs, you're running all over a 35 mile radius fixing office rigs for approximately $15/hr. If you're just starting out and you can't honestly put CCNA, MCSA, or RHCT on your resume, the A+ is your key to your foot in the door.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:29 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Is a MCTI cert respected more than a A+ cert?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:36 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

that Linux guy wrote:
xxmainframexpxx wrote:
avanish11 wrote:

Yeah, GeekSquad isn't the high-point of Computer Diagnosis/Repair, but it's a job. In my area, $9.50 isn't bad for a retail position. In Northern California, it's pretty much the unofficial minimum wage.

Bartending will make a student FAR more money than a GeekSquad job and it comes with a free, pre-packaged social life!

Quote:
However, just as recent as yesterday went paroozing (sp?) for jobs mainly under the searches "Helpdesk", "Desktop Support Technician", "Network Technician", and "Network Analyst". Most of the available jobs were DST positions and nearly all of them either desired or required an A+.

Most IT professionals don't really work with hardware, so the A+ really isn't as important in light of certs from the likes or Microsoft, Red Hat, Sun Microsystems, Cisco, Nortel, Oracle, VMWare, etc. But for most of the entry level jobs, you're running all over a 35 mile radius fixing office rigs for approximately $15/hr. If you're just starting out and you can't honestly put CCNA, MCSA, or RHCT on your resume, the A+ is your key to your foot in the door.

The problem I have with A+ and other text-book certs is that you can very easily get pigeon-holed as a 'support guy'. It is a quick way to derail a good career into wageslavery.

Bartending, waiting tables .. both much better jobs for college kids, imo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:36 pm 

A+ looks great on the resume for entry level jobs (best buy, etc...)
and i know for the school im attending you need to take the A+ prep classes to even get your AA, so the way i look at it is, since im taking the classes i might as well take a test and get certified.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:44 am 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

I'm pretty sure he's already got this figured out. This thread IS after all, 6 months old.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]