Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Can I Upgrade my Laptop?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:17 pm 

my HP Pavillion dv9410us is starting to get slow, and im getting into video editing and need more pc to run premier pro.
i dont really want to go to a deskktop because i love my portability and i really cant afford a desktop now.
i know i can add ram (go to 3gb)
and i can go to a bigger, faster hdd(dont care about battery im plugged in most of the time)
but can i upgrade the cpu?

thanks in advance and any other suggestions will be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:53 am 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

Usually the rule of thumb is that if CPU upgradability is not mentioned anywhere in the system specifications, it can't be done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:00 am 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

Typically, CPU upgrades in laptops aren't a good idea simply because the cooling solutions in them aren't also upgradable. Now, if you got the lowest end CPU for that line, and the top of the line CPU is an addition of 400MHz or so, it might be worth it. But then, you have to make sure you have the same cooling solution and motherboard. Then, you have the very tedious job of taking your laptop apart, completely on these HP ones, to get to the CPU.

I have a ZD8000 with a P4 3.2GHz CPU. When mine started getting slower, I backed up all my stuff I wanted from the drive and replaced that 5400rpm drive with a brand new 7200rpm drive. I also went from 1GB of ram to 2GB of ram. The difference was tremendous. The faster drive REALLY helps, but the fresh install of the OS did the most improvement. I recommend you replace your drive and do a fresh install and see what you think then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:25 pm 

ill have to dig around and look for my vista disc that came with this thing.
ive got about 120gb worth of stuff im gonna have to back up too.
thanks for the suggestions, i'll probly try a fresh install within the next few weeks, ive gotta find something that i can use to backup all my files.

Post subject: Me too, Me too
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:44 pm 

My HDD is currently failing on me in my HP DZ9000 Laptop i bought just over a year ago. I know I'm going to have to replace it, but my question is this. Can I put any HDD in it, or does it have to be from HP? I have found that some companies make them so that you can only replace something if it comes from the manufacturer( i.e. HP). Someone said they replaced theirs, what did you do. Because buying a new HDD from Newegg sounds better than having to go through HP. Thanks

Post subject: Re: Me too, Me too
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:04 pm 

gundam1989 wrote:
My HDD is currently failing on me in my HP DZ9000 Laptop i bought just over a year ago. I know I'm going to have to replace it, but my question is this. Can I put any HDD in it, or does it have to be from HP? I have found that some companies make them so that you can only replace something if it comes from the manufacturer( i.e. HP). Someone said they replaced theirs, what did you do. Because buying a new HDD from Newegg sounds better than having to go through HP. Thanks

i believe you can, just check the Hdd connectors so that you'll know if you could buy an IDE or SATA..