Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Dell Inspiron Mini 9 question...
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:45 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Is it possible to install Windows XP Pro (or Vista) on one of the new Minis over the Ubuntu install? The reason why I ask is I might get the Ubuntu version, but if I don't like it, I may change it down the road. I know the Mini has no CD drive, so I would have to make an XP slipstream disk on an SD card. But can you think of any reason why it wouldn't work?

Post subject: Re: Dell Inspiron Mini 9 question...
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:59 pm 

graviton wrote:
Is it possible to install Windows XP Pro (or Vista) on one of the new Minis over the Ubuntu install? The reason why I ask is I might get the Ubuntu version, but if I don't like it, I may change it down the road. I know the Mini has no CD drive, so I would have to make an XP slipstream disk on an SD card. But can you think of any reason why it wouldn't work?

I know your question is about the Mini 9. And I can't answer that question.

But if you want to switch form Linux-to-XP-and may back the system netbook I'm looking at is worth consideration. The ASUS Eee PC 901
Yes, it's more expensive. But compare features before you buy.

Here is a Newegg review that may answer your question:
Quote:
This little thing is AMAZING. I have wanted one of these since the 701 came out, but I decided to wait for the 900. After hearing there would be an atom version, I decided to wait for the 901, and I'm glad that I did. For what this is, the performance is really surprising, way better than what I expected. I manage to get about 2.5-3 hours out of the laptop when doing very intensive tasks, and 4-6 hours when just surfing or idling. I bought this 20g Linux version, and after trying various Linux installs, opted to install nlited XP Pro SP2. I got my install down to about 200mb, and am using about half of my 4g SSD with my needed programs installed. I was able to get programs such as 3dsmax9, Photoshop CS2, and After Effects 7 to run and be fairly usable (although I do have to turn off layers I'm not using fairly often in complex scenes or comps) And have also been able to run a lot of games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:11 pm 

graviton;

I’ve done some research regarding the Dell Inspiron Mini 9 and the Asus Eeee PC support.

Specifically, the point was to find support for tricks, tips and hacks. After much searching, two of us cannot find an enthusiast forum for the Dell Mini 9. Dell does have community forums, but there is no specific Mini 9 forum with supporters of the Dell helping each other. It just a place for TEUs to stop by with ordinary questions.

Even the MSI Wind has a site with Hardware hacking, Modification and Add ons for the Msi Wind.
The Asus Eee PC has a big forum. Checkout: http://forum.eeeuser.com/

Now graviton, it might be possible for you to go to eeeuser.com and read their Eee PC and Windows XP Windows, Drivers, Compatibility, Etc. subforum. There are great ideas for converting a Linux system to a Windows system. Doing it w/o a USB CD-Rom drive, using a bootable USB, transferring images, etc.

You might take those concepts and see how well you can adapt them to a Mini 9.

But if you are thinking about doing a lot of O/S hacking or mods, as I mentioned earlier, you may not have the community support with the machine you are choosing.

Regards!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:18 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Thanks

Well the mini probably has not been out long enough, its only been around 2 weeks since its release, I'll give it some time. It seems to me that you could buy the cheap one for $350 and for $300 more really crank up the specs on it by putting in a a larger drive, more RAM, and maybe a 3G card.