Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: laptop.. vista ---> xp
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:57 pm 

Hey im planning on getting a laptop for school next year. On my current desktop computer im using windows xp home... i like this laptop alot:
http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=207711&WT.mc_n=3&WT.mc_t=U&cm_ven=COMPARISON%20SHOPPING&cm_cat=CNET&cm_pla=DATAFEED-%3EPRODUCTS&cm_ite=1%20PRODUCT&cm_keycode=3

It comes with vista home premium.. can I uninstall the vista and install my XP home on it?

Post subject: Re: laptop.. vista ---> xp
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:52 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

rabidcrab wrote:
Hey im planning on getting a laptop for school next year. On my current desktop computer im using windows xp home... i like this laptop alot:
http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=207711&WT.mc_n=3&WT.mc_t=U&cm_ven=COMPARISON%20SHOPPING&cm_cat=CNET&cm_pla=DATAFEED-%3EPRODUCTS&cm_ite=1%20PRODUCT&cm_keycode=3

It comes with vista home premium.. can I uninstall the vista and install my XP home on it?

Check on the HP site to see if they make XP drivers for this model. I'm willing to bet the answer is "no" though.

Your best bets for XP are Dell and Lenovo at the moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:48 pm 

it appears to have drivers?
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/soft ... =en&cc=us#

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:09 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

There are SOME downloads. But not for everything...

Check it against the Vista downloads page to see what you're missing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:52 am 

You might also look into the warranty or call HP about it because chances are HP won't support you if you downgrade to XP, so you'll be on your own if anything goes wrong, or they'll make you reinstall Vista from the recovery disks (or partition) before they'll help.

Some things to think about. Also, for what reasons do you want to downgrade? You might be better off sticking with Vista depending on those.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:37 am 
Willamette
Willamette

yeah, Microsoft is discontinuing XP in 2 Days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:19 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

T Minus 1 hour 41 minutes and 47 seconds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:48 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

The warranty provided is for the hardware so I don't see how any software change would be affected.

Another thing I want to mention is to date I have installed XP on about 70 or 80 machines that came preloaded with vista. To date I have gotten every single one working perfectly in XP. Sometimes I use Everest to find out what the actual part is and get an XP driver from another manufacturer using the same part. SOmetimes I also install the vista driver in XP and it works flawlessly...you basically just have to play detective (be persistant). About half the machines I have done this on were laptops but every single one has eventually gotten up and running fine in XP, so it can be done.

Another thing about the warranty someone mentioned earlier is that often there is a restore disc or partition on the computer (which I usually leave untouched just because you never know). Lets say a manufacturer did require vista to stay on the machine for the warranty (though unlikely since they dont offer software coverage on their warranty), you can always wipe the xp install after backup or reinstall vista whether a part or two went out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:06 pm 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

Or you could realize that Vista has developed into a pretty decent OS with SP1 and stop bitching about it and use it for a change. I think you'll be very surprised at how much of a pleasure Vista has become.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:39 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Vista is not compatible with positouch and several other point of sale suites like northstar. programs like catia have yet to support vista as well and you should realize that a lot of people/companies rely on programs like this for their bread and butter so it's not always so much "bitching" as much as a real necessity to get the functionality they need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:37 pm 

I agree that Vista doesn't run a lot of vertical market software, an unfortunate failing I place squarely on the shoulders of the lazy vertical market developers. They've had 2+ years since release candidates of Vista to update the code in their apps. And in my case, the problem application is an actual Windows app that hasn't been updated since about 2000, yet the software company still supports and sells it.

I'd love to see businesses move to Vista, but the app developers are way behind the curve. Don't blame MS for this cluster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:33 am 
Klamath
Klamath

I see where you are going with that but some of the point of sale vendors are going to have to increase the robustness of their hardware before it can even think about handling vista. The main concern here is that most of these terminals rely on xp embedded which is a very stripped down version of xp and can't handle standard xp, so microsoft is going to have to make vista embedded available before most of this stuff can be done. imagine my surprise at discovering IBM's latest hardware configurations:

544 Terminal series specs:

2.0 ghz socket 478 celeron
256 ddr pc2100 or 2700

12 and 15 inch kiosk specs:
1ghz spcket 479
pc2700 sodimm

j2 560 specs:
700mhz c3 processor
256 ddr (2100-3200)

I'm not too sure how far along the Micros hardware is but I suspect they are pulling the same shtick.

If MS was to make a vista based version of an embedded OS it would most likely have to be a stripped down of home basic since aero won't really be needed for a machine that is stuck on a point of sale screen 99.9% of the time but then again seeing projects like eXperience's TinyVista rev 1 and 2 gives me some hope. MS should just hire eXperience hehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:59 pm 

xymotic wrote:
Vista is not compatible with positouch and several other point of sale suites like northstar. programs like catia have yet to support vista as well and you should realize that a lot of people/companies rely on programs like this for their bread and butter so it's not always so much "bitching" as much as a real necessity to get the functionality they need.

and businesses run these on laptops all time, in fact local grocery store has laptops sitting on the cash drawers. :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:02 pm 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

ceegee wrote:
xymotic wrote:

and businesses run these on laptops all time, in fact local grocery store has laptops sitting on the cash drawers. :evil:

Yeah. I can really see how you would get to the point of talking about specialized business programs when I'm giving advice to a guy that says he is IN SCHOOL. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:08 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

They do. Positouch and Northstar are both POINT OF SALE...primarily positouch is custom tailored to meet the needs of restaurants and grocery stores...so those are the people who are going to need these suites. The type of machine it runs on is irrelevant since it wont discriminate between IBM terminals, Jiva, hell it'll even run on a dell or hp laptop or an asus eee....provided its running XP. I guess this is why I keep seeing cocky kids coming through the door year after year thinking they can tackle point of sale field service positions because they installed some ram for their family a few times and can install yahoo messenger for grandpa or built a computer for their aunt with whatever combos frys had for sale at the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:56 am 
Phoenix Foundation (Top 10)
Phoenix Foundation (Top 10)

Best method I have found is pretty much what you described. Going through the vista device manager and writing down the devices in the notebook and then going online for the equivalent XP drivers or looking for similar laptops with the same hardware that were sold with XP and downloading those drivers.

Still would like to know why this turned into a arguement over what operating systems a POS system uses. TBH, who really cares? If the windows XP embedded support runs out I'm pretty sure the demand from the entire market will cause microsoft to release a newer embedded version of X operating system to run on X hardware.

Not like the world is going to end because windows XP support is running out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:58 am 

xymotic wrote:
Vista is not compatible with positouch

Your dead wrong. Posi works fine on Vista. What are your sources for stating it doesn't run on Vista?

I use Vista on all of my machines now too. I had a few lagacy apps and games on my personal computer at home that didn't work with Vista but aside from that it is rock solid. After using Vista for a while using XP is just terrible. It was like upgrading from 98SE to XP many years ago... I never looked back!