Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Network+ Certification
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:47 am 
Northwood
Northwood

I was wondering how much Getting the Network + and the a+ certifications are? Someone told me that the a+ should be a joke for Heavy PC users but the Networking one is a bit tougher.

Any thoughts? I'm hoping to get out of Highschool with both certs.

*changed college to Highschool*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:48 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

you should ask a mod/admin to have this moved to Education and Certification. Might get a better / more focus response there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:56 pm 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

Last I heard about the issue when I was looking, the A+ is two exams, $150 each, and the Network+ is a single exam costing around the $200 mark. Neither tests are very hard. I found the A+ material very easy to follow, but the Network+ was a bit tougher. If you're new to TCP/IP networking at all, then don't start by reading a Network+ book. Start with something like Networking for Dummies.

As far as how far you can go with just those certs, you might be able to land an entry level job as Helpdesk, or possibly as a DST (Desktop Support Technician).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:46 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

that Linux guy wrote:
Last I heard about the issue when I was looking, the A+ is two exams, $150 each, and the Network+ is a single exam costing around the $200 mark. Neither tests are very hard. I found the A+ material very easy to follow, but the Network+ was a bit tougher. If you're new to TCP/IP networking at all, then don't start by reading a Network+ book. Start with something like Networking for Dummies.

As far as how far you can go with just those certs, you might be able to land an entry level job as Helpdesk, or possibly as a DST (Desktop Support Technician).

Yeah. Not meant as a lifelong degree. Cisco is next on my list after I get the necessary other certs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:10 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

It looks as though you've done your research a bit then. Glad to see you're not stopping with entry level certs :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:59 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Network+ is great for establishing that you know the details about basic networking. Believe it or not, many network admins and techs don't really have a good fundamental understanding of networking in general. So it's not just for "entry-level" positions as noted here - every organization can benefit from having all staffed Network+ certified...probably more so than A+.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:07 am 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

A+ is always a good cert to have...Network+ is just an added perk for the employer.
Not sure if the A+ is still a two part test but when I took it, each part took about 15mins and that was without studying and about an hour notice that it was scheduled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:35 pm 

be aware that the A+ exam goes back into detail and expects you to know about all the unused raid arrays, specific features on older generation processors and such going back as far as the old 8080s and 8086s. you also have to make an 80 to pass. its not something you can just jump into.