Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:33 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

Xman wrote:

As a cable worker I will tell you that most (not all but most) of the time cops will side on the utility workers side. If there is a pole we need to get to in your backyard just let us get to it. We have a right of way easement for 24 hour access to all poles our lines are on.

access, yes but access to property to get to a pole and practically digging a yard up (yes I know its not really digging it up, Ive seen those trench cutter cable layers) to run a line though are two different things. cable is not like water or electric.. its not essential.

Xman wrote:
As a matter of fact the line from the tap to the house does in fact belong to the cable company and they will (if needed) replace that free of charge to customer. I do it all the time. So until you know the way it really works get off the high horse. Most cable guys really just want the customer to be happy and get the service they are paying for

they can run the line and give the customer the service they want.. all they have to do is run it the long way and not be on the neighbors property at all.

what do you guys do if theres an buried electric invisible pet fence or underground sprinkler system (Im genuinely curious)? have you actually run cable through yards against the owners permission when there another way to do it? just because it was already there (again, genuinely curious)?

as for my high horse, I simply dont like the posters "f*** you" attitude about shoving it down their throats, especially since theres another way to do it.

if it was me and he asked nicely Id say fine, go ahead, but take that "it will happen next week because I want my cable and dont want to pay extra to not mess with your property so tough luck" I would fight it any way I could, just on principle. I would hope it would never come down to some "neighbor war" (Ive heard some wild stories about neighbors that dont get along.. ).

guess it all comes down to respect. just as I would never go 4 wheeling or hunt on someones private property without permission, Id never impose on a neighbor without permission. guess Im just lucky to live in the country where folks respect each other and thier property.

look Im not trying to be a jerk. I hope the OP gets his cable one way or another, but cable is a private company, not a public service like gas, power, sewer and water. legally I have no idea if it can be forced. if you get the chance ask around the company and see what the deal is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:37 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

CharBroiled wrote:
Quote:
I'd tell them something like, "Hey, when these houses were built, they screwed up the wiring to my house. So they have to dig up the place from the baseball fields to here. Yeah, isn't that some bullshit? So here's the deal. They are doing this next week.

and Id tell you something like "Hey the cops will be here to tell the cable co to GTFO my property."
I really hate to tell you this, but you are, for lack of a better word, a douchebag.

You would have zero say in the water/gas/phone/electric company needing access to their assets in your property, why is cable different? (Hint, it isn't).

Secondly, if you intentionally (and by saying that it might get chopped while you are doing yard work is the same as saying you intend to do it) damage that property, it is vandalism. Wouldn't that suck to get fined and then have to pay the cable co to come out and run a NEW line through your yard.

Of course, given the attitude I have seen form you, you would probably piss and moan about how it isn't fair/right for them to make you pay for it.

CharBroiled wrote:
riiiight. if you cant live without it, PAY the cable company to run the cable the long way. gonna cost coin? too bad, but you "aren't able to live with substandard cable reception in your house" so pay up.

ask nicely, dont try to force something down their throats. :roll:

snow-templar, this isnt directed at you, just the attitude of the above post - I highly dislike other people telling me what THEY will do on MY property without my input. hopefully your neighbors will allow them to run the cable through thier yard.
Do you know anything about singals? The longer the distance the more power it takes to xmit that signal? The cable company WON'T run it longer than it needs to be, unless there is a lake in the way or something (and often times they just put the cable under water anyway). For what it is worth, there is no asking involved. The people affected by the need to run the cable can't really say no. If they do pitch a fit, you better hope they never want cable, because they cable co will drag their feet about it, because they will remember what a pain that person is to deal with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:58 am 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

CharBroiled wrote:
^^^

kinda rude doncha think? it is their yard.

what if they want to install an inground sprinker system later.. or one of those buried electric fences to keep dogs in their yard. the cable may get in the way.

hey personally if I were the neighbor Id let them run the cable, but Id also tell you (the other guy whose house its going to) that theres no guarantee that cable wont get chopped at some point when I do yard work.

Quote:
I'd tell them something like, "Hey, when these houses were built, they screwed up the wiring to my house. So they have to dig up the place from the baseball fields to here. Yeah, isn't that some bullshit? So here's the deal. They are doing this next week.

and Id tell you something like "Hey the cops will be here to tell the cable co to GTFO my property."

Quote:
If they get sideways on you, tell them your sorry, but you aren't able to live with substandard cable reception in your house. And you will not.

riiiight. if you cant live without it, PAY the cable company to run the cable the long way. gonna cost coin? too bad, but you "aren't able to live with substandard cable reception in your house" so pay up.

ask nicely, dont try to force something down their throats. :roll:

snow-templar, this isnt directed at you, just the attitude of the above post - I highly dislike other people telling me what THEY will do on MY property without my input. hopefully your neighbors will allow them to run the cable through thier yard.

LOL! You obviously have ZERO knowledge about inground utilities and the right of imminent domain to keep those utilities functioning properly. If those folks wanted to put in an in ground sprinkler, I would be the first one in their yard helping them dig the trenches for it. Regardless, the neighborhood obviously already deals with the notion of in ground utilities since they have been that way for YEARS. It isn't like this guy is trying to go from suspended utilities to inground. Wake up.

Telling someone to PAY to have cable run around and beyond the normal route for install, a run the cable company itself will pay to run and NOT YOU, is pure ignorance and stupidity combined in one post. You obviously have more attitude than common sense. Life is probably a lot harder for you than it needs to be. I was going to say a few things to explain this situation to you a bit better. However, I'm now getting the impression you're one of those, "If it doesn't benefit me directly, screw you" kind of people. There's just no explaining things to people like you. Plus, I have the feeling the cops have your house pegged as "Immature, ignorant, petty individual. Take your time to respond. May ask you to move the curb since it encroaches on "his" property." You know that show Cops? Where the radio sputters out with a request for Cops to show to a certain house and the Cops in the car say, "It's THAT guy again." That's you.

To the OP, handle it the way I mentioned. Of course, modify it according to YOUR situation, but the overall gist should be clear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:07 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

oh please :roll:

Im one of the easiest guys to get along with. cops around here like me (I do a lot of volunteer work in the community - its saved me a few speeding tickets, heh), so please dont give me that I am one of those "If it doesn't benefit me directly, screw you kind of people." line.

please do explain the stuff you left out. Im not afraid of being wrong, I assure you (learning is fun, unless its a jackass trying to explain it to you). educate me, since you know everything. my understanding is the state can do anything they want for so many feet into your property for required services or safety issues (poles, sidewalks, utils, signs, guardrails etc) - but running a line all the way across a yard for cable - a service that is not guaranteed to every residence, at least around here. our towns cable contract (Ive looked into this) states it does not have to service every house if it means undue cost, the owner would need to absorb the cost.

I have teh internetz, if you cant explain it well enough (read: civilly) then point me at the laws that say a private company can go into someone elses yard and drop a line for a purely optional service to benefit one house because its easier than running it 700 feet up a driveway.

all Im trying to say is be polite and ask. not be a jerk about it, which is the way your post came across and what you recommending the OP be.

so again, show that Im wrong, Ill admit it. BTW town/state laws may vary on this anyway so this all may be a moot point as far as legality. if you know one way or the other, please point that out also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:49 am 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

CharBroiled wrote:
oh please :roll:

Im one of the easiest guys to get along with. cops around here like me (I do a lot of volunteer work in the community - its saved me a few speeding tickets, heh), so please dont give me that I am one of those "If it doesn't benefit me directly, screw you kind of people." line.

please do explain the stuff you left out. Im not afraid of being wrong, I assure you (learning is fun, unless its a jackass trying to explain it to you). educate me, since you know everything. my understanding is the state can do anything they want for so many feet into your property for required services (poles, sidewalks, utils, signs, guardrails etc) - but running a line all the way across a yard for cable - a service that is not guaranteed to every residence, at least around here. our towns cable contract (Ive looked into this) states it does not have to service every house if it means undue cost, the owner would need to absorb the cost.

I have teh internetz, if you cant explain it well enough (read: civilly) then point me at the laws that say a private company can go into someone elses yard and drop a line for a purely optional service because its easier than running it 700 feet up a driveway to benefit one house.

all Im trying to say is be polite and ask. not be a jerk about it, which is the way your post came across and what you recommending the OP be.

so again, show that Im wrong, Ill admit it. BTW town/state laws may vary on this anyway so this all may be a moot point as far as legality. if you know one way or the other, please point that out also.

Look here hero. Since you're so friggin smart, why haven't you realized YET that we are talking about EXISTING lines already running across someone else's yard. Since those lines are ALREADY there, the company will have access to them despite all of your smart assed and half baked ideas to the contrary. Your interpretation of what I've said is YOUR interpretation. From your very limited amount of time on these forums, it's obvious you have no idea of my personality.

You talked about using Google. My suggestion is to actually search for something constructive to add to the conversation besides trying to derail the whole thread with your jacked up interpretations of other people's comments.

Google is most helpful for topics much more in depth and complex than what you're accustomed to using it for.

As far as you being one of the easiest guys to get along with, I call bullshit. So far in this thread, you've been anything but.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:02 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

I can see this is going nowhere fast. you might of used your vast knowledge to educate me (and others reading this) but alas, you just like to insult people. I have no need to know your personality further.

as for google, I leave safesearch on so as to ignore fluff like the pic you posted :lol:

oh well, hope the OP gets his cable, one way or another.

have a good one 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:10 am 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

When you pop off at the mouth about calling Cops and kicking people out of your yard, you don't exactly induce a constructive communications atmosphere.

The main points have been explained in detail by various posts. In the progression of the thread, I have pointed out that since the utilities are already in the ground, an existing installation if you will, that when those utilities aren't working up to par, he has a right to have it fixed. Since it was wired improperly from the start 14 years ago, I think the OP can honestly say he has made all reasonable attempts to have it corrected.

If you wish to get all ignorant acting and assuming others are being confrontational, that's YOUR problem.

In the end, the other home owner SHOULD do the right thing and allow the OP access to his yard without being a dick about it. Like I pointed out, if they ARE good friends, the other homeowner should be willing to allow the cable company to access and repair the OP's issues without being an ass about it. If it comes down to push and shove, since it's an EXISTING install, the cable company can repair the lines. If that includes digging into someones yard to gain access to it, so be it.

As I ALSO pointed out, there's a way to handle it since they are friends. YOU have made more of an issue out of this whole thing than there needed to be. So it's probably best if you DO leave the OP to decipher what's here and make a decision based on HIS situation and the suggestions offered here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:25 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

CharBroiled: If the cable exists, the company has the right to service the cable run. That answers your question. :)

Otherwise, you are correct (I believe) in your assessment of cable as an optional service. If any of my neighbours tried digging up my garden so they could have faster internet, there would be hell to pay unless they asked me courteously and provided a plan that minimised the disruption of my property.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:25 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

Quakindude wrote:
in the end, the other home owner SHOULD do the right thing and allow the OP access to his yard without being a dick about it. Like I pointed out, if they ARE good friends, the other homeowner should be willing to allow the cable company to access and repair the OP's issues without being an ass about it. If it comes down to push and shove, since it's an EXISTING install, the cable company can repair the lines. If that includes digging into someones yard to gain access to it, so be it.

As I ALSO pointed out, there's a way to handle it since they are friends.

I agree the neighbor should let them and Ive said that I would certainly allow it with my full blessings unless the neighbor was a jerk about it. I took your post (this one)

Quote:
It's pretty simple. The lack of proper utilities being installed is affecting your happiness and service. The neighbors will just have to suck it up. If they're really friends of yours, they won't bitch too much anyway. I flippin guarantee you 99% of people out there would dig YOUR yard up to get their service in RIGHT.

Of course, since they are friends, you'll want to make it as easy for them as possible. I'd tell them something like, "Hey, when these houses were built, they screwed up the wiring to my house. So they have to dig up the place from the baseball fields to here. Yeah, isn't that some bullshit? So here's the deal. They are doing this next week. Since I started all of this, I want you to know that the company is going to replant the grass and properly landscape the yards after they do this. I will personally oversee and supervise the proper job being performed and since I feel like this is my fault for asking them to fix it, I will water your new seed from my hose/on my time. Thanks for your understanding friendship."

If they get sideways on you, tell them your sorry, but you aren't able to live with substandard cable reception in your house. And you will not.

as being a bit rude and confrontational, whether its legal or not. perhaps you were just being flippant (I know I can come across that way). so perhaps I just took it wrong, I just like polite neighbors (and around here we all are and watch out for each others backs).

so if there was any misunderstanding Im sure it was at least partly my fault.

very rare to have underground utils here.. wish there where, poles are fugly. so forgive my lack of knowledge, but I really am interested in the laws.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:27 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

We (Halifax, Nova Scotia) are in the process of burying as many utilities as we can. Every year, thousands of lines are ripped down by the weight of ice, high winds, etc.. Unfortunately, the process can be very expensive .. especially in urban areas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:59 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

actually (not that I really want to continue this discussion) I did some quick googling on burying cable (existing or non existing) and it seems the laws are unclear on some points.

there may (or may not) be a contract signed by the cable co and the original property owner (on the cable part, not the other utils) when it was 1st run stating the cable cos rights.

I got answers ranging from "yes" to "yes but you can charge rent :lol:" to "if the property changes owners since it was laid, no," to "existing conduit is covered (grandfathered) but new conduit isnt (not sure if that means a new conduit laid beside an old one for the same purpose is grandfathered as well - that wasnt mentioned so maybe they are treated as the same)." seems to be based on the contract the cable co signed and town ordinances more than anything. I found no blanket laws, except for stuff like power, gas, water etc.

not that Im doubting anyones reply is sincere to the best of their knowledge but law is a tricky thing and I certainly dont pretend to know it as it applies in this case.

since we all know teh internetz is the pinnacle of human knowledge, I guess we will just have to take it with a grain of salt and wait to see what happens in the OPs case. best of luck to him (seriously).

BTW to you cable techs. I for one have always had them go out of their way to be polite, efficient and helpful. so please dont think Im ragging on you. Ive just got this insatiable curiosity, thats all.

PS I expect no answer to this, just figured Id list what I found.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:53 pm 
Solid as a rock
Solid as a rock

CharBroiled wrote:
actually (not that I really want to continue this discussion) I did some quick googling on burying cable (existing or non existing) and it seems the laws are unclear on some points.

there may (or may not) be a contract signed by the cable co and the original property owner (on the cable part, not the other utils) when it was 1st run stating the cable cos rights.

I got answers ranging from "yes" to "yes but you can charge rent :lol:" to "if the property changes owners since it was laid, no," to "existing conduit is covered (grandfathered) but new conduit isnt (not sure if that means a new conduit laid beside an old one for the same purpose is grandfathered as well - that wasnt mentioned so maybe they are treated as the same)." seems to be based on the contract the cable co signed and town ordinances more than anything. I found no blanket laws, except for stuff like power, gas, water etc.

not that Im doubting anyones reply is sincere to the best of their knowledge but law is a tricky thing and I certainly dont pretend to know it as it applies in this case.

since we all know teh internetz is the pinnacle of human knowledge, I guess we will just have to take it with a grain of salt and wait to see what happens in the OPs case. best of luck to him (seriously).

BTW to you cable techs. I for one have always had them go out of their way to be polite, efficient and helpful. so please dont think Im ragging on you. Ive just got this insatiable curiosity, thats all.

PS I expect no answer to this, just figured Id list what I found.

This is no thing to get upset. It simple really most stuff about underground utilities is in the deed to the property, and is available at your local city hall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:48 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Interesting relevant article from the Consumerist.