Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:51 am 
8086
8086

Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:59 am
Posts: 38
Location: Oklahoma
A+ alone is almost worthless anymore, you will be lucky to get over 10-12 an hour here in oklahoma with that alone.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:15 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:35 pm
Posts: 134
ok then, what would you suggest as a follow -up cert after getting your A+?


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:20 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:22 pm
Posts: 183
Location: good question
Nate wrote:
A+ alone is almost worthless anymore, you will be lucky to get over 10-12 an hour here in oklahoma with that alone.


It all depends on where you are applying and what you are replying for. Some places don't care about certs, and some want to see a bunch.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:58 am 
Hired Gun
Hired Gun
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:29 pm
Posts: 6405
Location: N 47° 04.525 W 122° 17.315
addyct wrote:
ok then, what would you suggest as a follow -up cert after getting your A+?


Net+, CCNA, MCSE, are good starts, an IT related degree is even better. PC tech/help desk is the bottom pay scale of the IT dept, which is where most new hires start unless you have a degree and or the experience to start in another position. PC tech is a start but thats about it.

Get your start where ever you can, experience is just as valuable as education. Education and Experience will put you ahead of the competition.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:55 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:40 pm
Posts: 19
My first year as a technician I am receiving $13/hr in base pay and then with my spiffs and service plan bonuses I average around $17-18/hr. It's decent money for a second part-time job.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:21 am 
8086
8086

Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:33 am
Posts: 2
My first PC Tech gig had me making ~ $13/hr. Thankfully that only lasted a couple months and then I moved on to bigger and better things.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:08 am 
8086
8086

Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:53 pm
Posts: 38
The local geek squad makes $10/minute:

* Most of their jobs last less than 20 minutes
* Most of their jobs cost $150 - $300


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: sucka pay
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:45 pm 
8086
8086
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:16 pm
Posts: 2
:twisted: if your not making at least $50k then your not trying hard enough. the real money is in the oil industry and govt.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:35 am 
Team Member
Team Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:25 pm
Posts: 2781
Location: Buzzing out Loud
I'm working part time at a local computer repair shop. As a recent hire I make $7/hr (more than $1 over minimum wage). I expect a raise once I become A+ certified.

I live in Indiana, BTW.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:44 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:08 am
Posts: 843
Location: Texas
mjjordan01 -- Post Subject: "sucka" pay

Are you Mr. T?



mjjordan01 wrote:
if your not making at least $50k then your not trying hard enough. the real money is in the oil industry and govt.


Care to elaborate there?


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Average pay for Technician
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:09 pm 
8086
8086
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:16 pm
Posts: 2
Getting out after school and with an A+ cert, you might start out low if you find a full time job. The trick is find a temp agency or contact work. do that for a while and get some experience for a year or 2 and get your certifications based on your interest in the field that you like not what you think will make the most money. In time you will find a company that will pay for your experience and certification and education.

The Company i work for and hire for will go through thousands of resumes but the ones we keep are the people with Certifications, A college education. I myself frown on tech schools, they will promise someone 60k after graduating their first year and give them this false image of what a PC tech does. they typically last 3 months and go back doing what they was doing before.

so a good formula for better pay is College 2 or 4 year, Certifications for the skills that your good at and mostly experience.

If you get into the PC field to make money, you need to re evaluate your career goals.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:31 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

Joined: Mon May 30, 2005 11:16 pm
Posts: 2057
Better money as a full electronics technician. PC is a small part of the job. I work on aircraft simulators overseas. Takes a bit of experience to be considered for the better jobs but once you are in the door 100k for an overseas position is not that unusual. 55k - 65k would be average. Some jobs do require a degree but most of them want military training or tech school and a bit of experience.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:29 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:44 pm
Posts: 513
Location: Vancouver Island
linkmaster6 wrote:
Anyone know if theres a thing like that for Canada, perferably the Atlantic Provinces?


In Canada if you get $16/hr you're probably doing good.

Mom and Pop shops will pay the worst, probably $8-12/hr, Futureshop type stores (Big Box) will pay you $12-18, and Corporations where you're doing bench work or an IT Technican (troubleshooting, network support...etc), anywhere from $14-20/hr. Technicians don't generally make more than Administrators, who usually make less than Engineers.

Junior (Inexperienced) Techs will get the lower. Techs (Experienced) will probably get median and Senior (Supervisory) Tech's will probably get the higher number, and/or will be on salary. Same goes for Administrators.

Remember...you make more money per hour than you do on salary because of overtime considerations. It's not unheard of a Senior Tech making $45-50,000 and Junior Techs starting at $20-30,000 a year. For Technicians $36-50,000 is a good median.

Administrator positions, even Junior will be about $40-60,000. Senior or Specialised Admin (like Database) can make upward of $65-100,000+...depending on what they're doing, responsibilities...etc.

Network/Systems Engineers tend to make ab out $65-200,000. The higher numbers being obviously for large corporations, or consultants.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:45 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:23 am
Posts: 24222
Location: Granite Heaven
Wolfmann wrote:
linkmaster6 wrote:
Anyone know if theres a thing like that for Canada, perferably the Atlantic Provinces?


In Canada if you get $16/hr you're probably doing good.

Mom and Pop shops will pay the worst, probably $8-12/hr, Futureshop type stores (Big Box) will pay you $12-18, and Corporations where you're doing bench work or an IT Technican (troubleshooting, network support...etc), anywhere from $14-20/hr. Technicians don't generally make more than Administrators, who usually make less than Engineers.

Junior (Inexperienced) Techs will get the lower. Techs (Experienced) will probably get median and Senior (Supervisory) Tech's will probably get the higher number, and/or will be on salary. Same goes for Administrators.

Remember...you make more money per hour than you do on salary because of overtime considerations. It's not unheard of a Senior Tech making $45-50,000 and Junior Techs starting at $20-30,000 a year. For Technicians $36-50,000 is a good median.

Administrator positions, even Junior will be about $40-60,000. Senior or Specialised Admin (like Database) can make upward of $65-100,000+...depending on what they're doing, responsibilities...etc.

Network/Systems Engineers tend to make ab out $65-200,000. The higher numbers being obviously for large corporations, or consultants.


All of this is quite good .. but for Atlantic provinces, subtract 15-20% of the pay. This is true almost across the board, but the closer you get to minimum wage, the less discrepancy there is across the provinces.

Salaries are definitely 20% less ... but on the other hand, my house is in Metro Halifax, 20 minutes from work and 30 minutes from my favourite surf break and it cost less than $250,000. For that price in Vancouver, you might be able to find a doghouse, or a 450 sq.ft. condo in the burbs. Your real estate dollar goes further in Toronto and Montreal, but not by much.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:00 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:44 pm
Posts: 513
Location: Vancouver Island
Jipstyle wrote:
Your real estate dollar goes further in Toronto and Montreal, but not by much.


Real Estate in Toronto is probably the most expensive in the Nation. Next to Fort McMurray and some area's of BC.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:07 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:23 am
Posts: 24222
Location: Granite Heaven
Wolfmann wrote:
Jipstyle wrote:
Your real estate dollar goes further in Toronto and Montreal, but not by much.


Real Estate in Toronto is probably the most expensive in the Nation. Next to Fort McMurray and some area's of BC.


I stand corrected. :) It has been a while since I've shopped for housing in T.O.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:44 am 
Hired Gun
Hired Gun
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:29 pm
Posts: 6405
Location: N 47° 04.525 W 122° 17.315
Nate wrote:
A+ alone is almost worthless anymore, you will be lucky to get over 10-12 an hour here in oklahoma with that alone.


I live in Lawton OK and that range is about spot on here as well. It's an alright job, to help get yourself through college, and get your foot in the IT door, but I wouldn't consider it a long term career.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: sucka pay
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:41 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:23 am
Posts: 24222
Location: Granite Heaven
mjjordan001 wrote:
:twisted: if your not making at least $50k then your not trying hard enough. the real money is in the oil industry and govt.


50$K is your minimum? Really?

And you're bragging publically about it?

50$K is about as close to real money as Roseanne is to 'attractive'.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: sucka pay
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:55 am 
Hired Gun
Hired Gun
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:29 pm
Posts: 6405
Location: N 47° 04.525 W 122° 17.315
Jipstyle wrote:
mjjordan001 wrote:
:twisted: if your not making at least $50k then your not trying hard enough. the real money is in the oil industry and govt.


50$K is your minimum? Really?

And you're bragging publically about it?

50$K is about as close to real money as Roseanne is to 'attractive'.


Considering that the national average is $44K a year, $50K is pretty decent for entry pay.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: sucka pay
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:09 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:23 am
Posts: 24222
Location: Granite Heaven
Hitman wrote:
Jipstyle wrote:
mjjordan001 wrote:
:twisted: if your not making at least $50k then your not trying hard enough. the real money is in the oil industry and govt.


50$K is your minimum? Really?

And you're bragging publically about it?

50$K is about as close to real money as Roseanne is to 'attractive'.


Considering that the national average is $44K a year, $50K is pretty decent for entry pay.


I'm not disputing that at all!

Entry level pay, though, is not something that I would brag about or claim to be 'real money' ... it is a good place to start.

You know me, Hit ... the only people allowed to brag on this forum are me, myself, and I. And some monkeys. And people I like. And people who brag about things I like. And girls.

Jipstyle: Bringing Hypocrisy to New Levels since 1974!

;)


Top
  Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group