Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: A+ Are my expectations reasonable?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:25 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Ive been interested in taking my A+ for a while now but hadnt had the time or money until now.

I have a full time job already and ideally I would like to get my A+ cert and work for "IT" temp agencies starting out installing computers/networks nights or on the weekends.

I have a couple of acquaintances that have done this and have made decent money. Im looking to make 2-300 a weekend and maybe more if thats possible. It would be something to help me and my family get by as a better than my now p/t job and slowly got my foot in the IT door.

Are my expectations reasonable?

Do any of you know anyone that does this?
My goal is take what I know already (building 2 pcs, my own troubleshooting experience) and the A+ and get contractor type work, starting with small jobs and proving myself to the agency and moving up from there.

You guys are the ones with experience. Does that sound realistic to you?

Is the A+ for dummies book good enough to get me passing the test?

For anyone that responds thank you. I appreciate you taking the time to give me some much needed info and feedback.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:02 pm 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

Hey, I'm interested in the same thing. I'm not interested in going into a career for this stuff but it will sure pay my way through college, I read an A+ book, look for the one written by Jean Andrews, and buy it used, I seemed to know mostly everything in it give or take a couple of small things.

And if you can make $200-300 a weekend I'm scheduling a test date tomorrow morning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:00 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Well you might be able to. If you noticed, I was the one asking if that was reasonable to make. So Im not completely certain.

I know of some people (always thru another acquaintance, my brother, my uncle, my dad etc.) that do similiar type of work and make decent money. Working for people want someone to deliver, set up, and want someone to set up and explain the anti virus/firewall--make it work for them.

Before you run out and get the book... keep in mind what the stickied post above says about the A+

"4.0 – What do I need for this exam?

• The willingness to better yourself in life.
• A couple books.
• A few computers and parts to do hands on work.
• A Budget of at least 600.00$ to pay for exams, study materials (books) and things you might think you need.
• And maby the latest issue of Maximum PC, lol just so you can get in the pc kind of mood. "

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:18 pm 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

I've already gone through a book and I'm ready to take the test, I just don't know if it's worth the couple of hundred to take the test

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:43 pm 

The Mike Meyers ALL IN ONE books are really good. I'm about half way through it now.

My reading has kind of been put on hold as my wife & I have been busy lately w/ having a baby (first one!) and are now in the process of packing so we can move this weekend.

I have been building a reparing PC's since my first computer back in '99 when I built my AMD K6-2 400 mhz w/ 8 gig hd and 128 mb of system ram. Wow I think it even had a Diamond Monster Fusion 16mb AGP card.

This was back before Newegg existed and when Computer Shopper magazines were like massive phone books of computer company ads and whatnot (Which is where I ordered my first computer from).

Even w/ all of that and miscellaneous computer experience I didn't realize how LITTLE I understand about technology related to computers and how it all works until I started reading the ALL IN ONE book.

Sorry for the long post...sometimes I get long winded w/ side stories that I am reminded of.
:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:01 am 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

lol I love those catalogs that are like Manhattan phone books. It's like newegg but in book form.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:39 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I am also interested in taking the test. I have a few questions:
A) are there any age requirements?
B) What sort of knowledge is needed?
C) What topics are covered?
D) Is the best method of study to get a book?
:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:34 am 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

A) there shouldn't be, I don't see why there would be.

B) knowledge of your everyday PC

C) Hardware: different drives, ide and sata maybe some SCSI, motherboard, RAM, CPU, stuff like that. Software: Mostly windows OS

D) That and working on an old box[/list]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:26 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

There is a sticky in this folder that was written by someone who prepared extensively for the test and then wrote it. He provided you with the benefit of his experience and I strongly suggest that you all go read it.

Post subject: Re: A+ Are my expectations reasonable?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:26 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

endersshadow wrote:
My goal is take what I know already (building 2 pcs, my own troubleshooting experience) and the A+ and get contractor type work, starting with small jobs and proving myself to the agency and moving up from there.

It probably varies by region, but here's how it works over here (NY Metro area), there are basically independant contractors and then there's Geek Squad. In other words, you can either work for the man, or go solo.

Geek Squad attracts a lot of people with PC problems mainly because of their marketing and also due to most people don't know any better. Unfortunately Geek Squad employees don't tend to know what they're doing when it comes to troubleshooting, make guesses as to what the actual problem is, and really only know how to swap out field replaceable parts.

I had the pleasure of having two geek squad employees in one of my Novell classes a while back. They barely passed the class, and failed the certification exam, and to top it off they bragged about purposely screwing around and wasting time on people's computers just to milk them for more money.

So the other option (in this area) are the independant contractors. The experence ranges from disgruntled geek squad gone solo to ex-IBM supertechs. These people are going to be your main competition, to see what kind of competition is in your area go here:

http://www.onforce.com/

Type in your zip code and push the button saying you're looking for a contractor. This is just a small example of the number of people in your area that you will be competing against for business. There are no independant agencies that I've ever heard of that hire people who are simply A+ certified (not to dash your hopes or anything) but if you've already found one in your area and they're paying 2-300 working over the weekend then good on ya.

Post subject: The Temp Route vs the Contractor Route
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:04 pm 

Well, the contractor route (you are the IC) means you pay for mistakes (your credit line), you figure out market prices, etc. You either setup shop or run around town.

The temp route is interesting simply because they may provide the training to someone who is employable. Many big temp agencies "certify" their employees on the back end. You are really certified and tested, you just don't have the certification outside of that company (otherwise people would quit soon after). Think top ten agencies. More than one provide free self-paced CBT to employable people.

If you have a dependable transportation, can be somewhere when and where you are supposed to be there, and are professional in your appearance, you may not have to pay for anything.

If you don't take baths, can't dress, and your car is lucky to make it out the driveway, well, dream on, in America, ANYTHING can happen! :lol:

I would recommend that you at least have dependable transportation, a cell phone, and a good map of your area so you can find your assignments the day before. I would talk to a recruiter at a temp agency and ask them what they need, then train for that skill. :wink:

Many temp agencies are busy places, and they deal with hundreds of people. Be prepared to deal with apathy on a large scale without taking it personal. Working around educated people can also be a stress free experience at times -- you just never know.

Also temp means temp. It could be a six month assignment, or it could be 4 assignments over a 6 month period. Keeping names and phone numbers for your resume is critical. Paying for tests is still cheaper than college semester tuition and books, save a little out of each paycheck, say $25, in four years you could possibly get a lot done.

I would ask for $15 an hour at least. The dollar is only worth 1/2 what it was a few months ago.