Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Acer Aspire One
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:41 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Looks like every computer manufacturer is making a small computer.

The Aspire One comes in diffrent colors, has a 8.9" LCD, Has Linpus Linux, and has the new Atom processor from Intel.

http://promotions.newegg.com/notebooks/ ... 478x88.jpg

Picture:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:35 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

The problem I have with these big (around 9") mini-notebooks is that they cost only slightly less, if not more than a 15.4" standard laptop (the big Eee PCs can hit $750. And that's with a smaller screen and much less power.

Example: My $450 Compaq (1.86GHz Turion X2, 1GB RAM, 120GB hard drive, nVidia 6150 graphics) performs better, has a bigger screen, is cheaper, and isn't much less portable than an Eee PC 900. It also includes a Vista license (good or bad), and even MS office.

Even the Atom-based mini-laptops still fall behind in performance, so the only thing they're really good for is as a fashion statement. And even at $380 like the Acer, I'm going to spend the extra $70 to get a full-fledged computer that can do more than browse the web.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:37 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Hmm, that's true.

Post subject: ha... I got a Aspireone for my birthday
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:12 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

well I haven't posted here in forever basically

but as a bday gift I recieved a blue 8GB SSD linux aspireone

after messing about enabling advanced features ... I am loving this thing.

for me though size was everything, I have a 15" thinkpad i never took anywhere and frequently didn't bother dragging out on airline flights even cause it was too much bother.

now my little aspireone @2lbs (well 2.1 i think ??? technically) has been going EVERYWHERE with me.

here is a somewhat crappy :D video of it streaming live tv (from my XP box running windows media encoder) to my aspire one via my openvpn connection w/ VLC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov4hIgVXLXA

the one down side is 1 stuck (blue pixel) however other than that I am absolutely in love w/ this machine.... well that and I need to get a 6cell batt or a car charger or a 2nd 3cell battery perhaps (or some combination) ..but meh.

Post subject: Ultra portables
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:39 am 

Yes, these netbooks cost almost as much as a normal laptop... but only because the introduction of netbooks caused the price of normal laptops to fall.

A netbooks price is based in how portable (lightweight) it is, not on its other features.

Some media elements, like the MaximumPC staff, sometimes write things like "the already overcrowded netbook market" whenever a new netbook is introduced. With 5 millions expected to sell in the next year, and possible more than that the next, who's the fool? Manufacturers who want a piece of the pie, or whoever write comments like those?