Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Taking over the company website...
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:32 am 

I work at a bank and was recently given the option to take over the website. Marketing hasn't touched the page in about 2yrs and it needs a serious overhaul. The internet banking part of the site is managed by a 3rd party, but I'm going to be in control of everything else. I've dabbled in HTML in the past, but I need to get serious about it and other things (CSS, etc). Where should I go for this? Re-enroll in college or are there any noteworthy books or websites?

Thanks in advance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:07 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Hire an expert.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:31 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

to elaborate on jipstyle's advice -

Since you seem to be a bit rusty on the web design, I think you should had over the reigns to someone else. Maybe start smaller with your own personal website, hobby group, Boy Scout troop, etc.

However, if your company decides to go with outside help, you should make yourself available to be able to keep it updated.

It wouldn't hurt to enroll in a community college course. You may be able to take the class online and you'll have the credits when you are done. I would advise against taking Continuing Education classes. They aren't a full semester but you don't get any college credits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:47 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

If you options are to buy a book all the way to re-enrolling in college, you may want to take a step back, as has been suggested. It's not that you can't do it, or shouldn't do it, but there are some major caveats with website design and implementation.

Do they have any of their own Analysts or Administrators? Talk to them, get their opinion. If it's just page update, I'm sure you could work from a template that's already there. You just have to understand how to safely do the updates...something the Administrator(s) can help you do.

When I teach my students, before a course during the initial introduction to that course I give them three rules to live by:

1. Data is King. Know, it love, back it up. It's the most important thing in your live...even over your family (I usually joke you can always make another family, but you can't get data back when it's gone).
2. RTFM. Self-Explanatory.
3. Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will...on the day the CEO is watching. Prepare...see rule #4.
4. 7 P's: Proper Previous Planning Prevents P*ss Poor Performance.
5. When in Doubt: Do Nothing Unless You 100% Know the Outcome OR click Next, Continue, OK, or any selection that makes you life go forward, as long as it does not contravene any of the previous 4 rules.

Rules to live by in the IT world.

All of these are applied in descending order of precedence.