Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Computer science to Computer system
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:39 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:04 am
Posts: 174
Does it make sense to switch majors from comp science to comp system? I like comp science but all the math is killing me. And plus i want to be a programmer and comp system offers a lot of programming courses. Need some advice please!


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:48 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:23 am
Posts: 24229
Location: Granite Heaven
Programming is math. CS is programming. CS is math.

Having said that .. choose the program with the curriculum you find most interesting.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:00 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:04 am
Posts: 174
Jipstyle wrote:
Programming is math. CS is programming. CS is math.

Having said that .. choose the program with the curriculum you find most interesting.
My college give to much math courses that are hard as hell. I got a C in Calculus 1, so im thinking im going to fail Calculus 2 numerical methods and differential equations. Also, if i stay with CS for a bachelor i am going to have to take more higher level math and extremely hard courses.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:48 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:23 am
Posts: 24229
Location: Granite Heaven
Yeah, if calculus gives you problems, you will have to work extra hard or find another discipline. :(


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:46 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:04 am
Posts: 174
Jipstyle wrote:
Yeah, if calculus gives you problems, you will have to work extra hard or find another discipline. :(
Were u been sarcastic?


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:15 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:23 am
Posts: 24229
Location: Granite Heaven
xxmainframexpxx wrote:
Jipstyle wrote:
Yeah, if calculus gives you problems, you will have to work extra hard or find another discipline. :(
Were u been sarcastic?


No, not at all. Calculus is pretty easy compared to some of the heavier maths that a CS student needs to take.

If not saying you shouldn't try .. but you do need to be prepared to work hard.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Computer science to Computer system
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:50 am 
8086
8086

Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:40 pm
Posts: 19
xxmainframexpxx wrote:
Does it make sense to switch majors from comp science to comp system? I like comp science but all the math is killing me. And plus i want to be a programmer and comp system offers a lot of programming courses. Need some advice please!


Just to give advice I need to know some stuff.

1. Why do you want to be a programmer rather than an IT guy?
2. What do you plan on programming?
3. How are you doing in your programming courses and what have you taken?


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Computer science to Computer system
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:44 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:04 am
Posts: 174
volatile wrote:
xxmainframexpxx wrote:
Does it make sense to switch majors from comp science to comp system? I like comp science but all the math is killing me. And plus i want to be a programmer and comp system offers a lot of programming courses. Need some advice please!


Just to give advice I need to know some stuff.

1. Why do you want to be a programmer rather than an IT guy?
2. What do you plan on programming?
3. How are you doing in your programming courses and what have you taken?


1) When i wrote my first program i liked the feeling of doing something and saying "hey i did that." Also, i think programming is fun.
2) I plan to work in creating software or applications for companies.
3) On my programming classes i have gotten an A on VB.net and intro to C++


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Computer science to Computer system
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:41 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:40 pm
Posts: 19
xxmainframexpxx wrote:
volatile wrote:
xxmainframexpxx wrote:
Does it make sense to switch majors from comp science to comp system? I like comp science but all the math is killing me. And plus i want to be a programmer and comp system offers a lot of programming courses. Need some advice please!


Just to give advice I need to know some stuff.

1. Why do you want to be a programmer rather than an IT guy?
2. What do you plan on programming?
3. How are you doing in your programming courses and what have you taken?


1) When i wrote my first program i liked the feeling of doing something and saying "hey i did that." Also, i think programming is fun.
2) I plan to work in creating software or applications for companies.
3) On my programming classes i have gotten an A on VB.net and intro to C++


I guess those are better reasons than some other people have said in the past. Given that, stick with the curriculum that is best suited for software engineering. Computer Science is the route to go but if that other curriculum is a variation on CS then maybe consider that if it's less math heavy. Math skills is a good to important thing to have as a software engineer but in most job positions it's probably not critical and necessary. Just know that programming will become much harder as you progress and get into actual software engineer with object-oriented methodolgy, design patterns, UML (Use-case, class, sequence diagrams, etc.), assembly code, compiler related stuff, algorithm analysis, etc. If at any point you don't enjoy what you are doing in the classroom immediately switch your major. It'll be exactly the same in the real world, without as many pointless programming projects. If you don't have a sincere passion for this field you will be miserable once you go into the job world.

Btw, what exactly is this other course of study you are thinking of taking? Could you list some of the classes you must take? It might give me a better idea if it is suited for what you want to eventually do.

P.S.: If you ever plan on being a developer for games or something similar you WILL need strong skills in math and physics. I say this because many people start off their college careers as computer science majors with this dream in mind because they enjoy "gaming". They soon come to the realization that programming games isn't anything like playing them.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:38 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:04 am
Posts: 174
heres the link to the Computer system major: http://www.citytech.cuny.edu/academics/ ... ch_cs.html


and heres the link to the Comp science major: http://www.citytech.cuny.edu/academics/ ... rams.shtml
(click download catalog entry)


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:53 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:40 pm
Posts: 19
xxmainframexpxx wrote:
heres the link to the Computer system major: http://www.citytech.cuny.edu/academics/ ... ch_cs.html


and heres the link to the Comp science major: http://www.citytech.cuny.edu/academics/ ... rams.shtml
(click download catalog entry)


Computer Systems major is what I thought it was. It's gearing you more towards network engineering/administration. The reason why some programming is in there is because as a networking guy you may be required to do some minor programming like installation stuff, scripting, some minor programming for client and server-side stuff. The programming courses will only scratch the surface and won't prepare you enough to be a developer. Now, it's not saying you can't start off as a networking guy and move to a developer role as you develop on the job training...but that's no the goal of this degree.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:56 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:04 am
Posts: 174
can anyone vouch for Volatile?


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:53 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:23 am
Posts: 24229
Location: Granite Heaven
His posts are bang-on.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Computer science to Computer system
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:03 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:04 am
Posts: 174
volatile wrote:
xxmainframexpxx wrote:
volatile wrote:
xxmainframexpxx wrote:
Does it make sense to switch majors from comp science to comp system? I like comp science but all the math is killing me. And plus i want to be a programmer and comp system offers a lot of programming courses. Need some advice please!


Just to give advice I need to know some stuff.

1. Why do you want to be a programmer rather than an IT guy?
2. What do you plan on programming?
3. How are you doing in your programming courses and what have you taken?


1) When i wrote my first program i liked the feeling of doing something and saying "hey i did that." Also, i think programming is fun.
2) I plan to work in creating software or applications for companies.
3) On my programming classes i have gotten an A on VB.net and intro to C++


I guess those are better reasons than some other people have said in the past. Given that, stick with the curriculum that is best suited for software engineering. Computer Science is the route to go but if that other curriculum is a variation on CS then maybe consider that if it's less math heavy. Math skills is a good to important thing to have as a software engineer but in most job positions it's probably not critical and necessary. Just know that programming will become much harder as you progress and get into actual software engineer with object-oriented methodolgy, design patterns, UML (Use-case, class, sequence diagrams, etc.), assembly code, compiler related stuff, algorithm analysis, etc. If at any point you don't enjoy what you are doing in the classroom immediately switch your major. It'll be exactly the same in the real world, without as many pointless programming projects. If you don't have a sincere passion for this field you will be miserable once you go into the job world.

Btw, what exactly is this other course of study you are thinking of taking? Could you list some of the classes you must take? It might give me a better idea if it is suited for what you want to eventually do.

P.S.: If you ever plan on being a developer for games or something similar you WILL need strong skills in math and physics. I say this because many people start off their college careers as computer science majors with this dream in mind because they enjoy "gaming". They soon come to the realization that programming games isn't anything like playing them.


I equally like programming, hacking, web design and graphics arts.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Hi
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:15 am 
8086
8086

Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:54 am
Posts: 1
Hi
If you want to be a programmer then i think you must take interest in mathematics also. It is not a big thing. If you concentrate then i m sure you will find it very interesting.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:51 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:04 am
Posts: 174
http://www.citytech.cuny.edu/academics/ ... h_tet.html

WOuld that curriculum be better than computer system if i wanted to do network administration?

or this one:

http://www.baruch.cuny.edu/ugradprograms/cis.htm#cis


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:18 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:43 pm
Posts: 4171
Location: Richmond, TX
You can either grab yourself up by the bootstraps and do the work required to get a degree or there's always other career paths available.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:51 pm 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:35 am
Posts: 3898
Location: In the server room
mainframe, if you've hopes of becoming a SysAdmin, experience is the key. A degree more or less gets you the interview. If it came down to someone with just home-brew experience needed to get the job done, and a graduate who can't recall what ping is, I'd hire the one with experience.

I'm not trying to totally downplay the degree part of your IT career. It is important, don't get me wrong, but it's not THE part. Experience is key, Education is important, and certs are icing on the career cake.


Top
  Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

© 2014 Future US, Inc. All rights reserved.