Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: laptop tuneup question
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:56 pm 

I recently purchased an emachines M6809 (would have liked a better gaming laptop, but for the price with rebates, could not be beat) without realizing that that amd athlon 64 processors, in laptops, when working with windows xp have the nasty habit of automatically decreasing their own processing speed to conserve battery (plugged in I have 2ghz, unplugged I have 800mhz). While there are times this would not be a problem, I would very much like to be able to conserve my battery power when I want to, not just because my laptop says it is going to do so. My question is this, I have heard on several laptop message boards, that there are programs (clockgen/amd powernow/etc...), all the post are ABSOLUTELY sure that they have worked with my laptop model, some even are nice enough to have directions, yet none seem to work. If anyone knows a program that has worked on the M6809 emachines with windows xp and which will allow me to manually choose when I want full processing power and when I want battery saving power, please don't just post the program(s) that will do this for me....but also please post directions on how to do it (preferably directions that are tested by you). Anyones help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long drawn out post.

Post subject: Re: laptop tuneup question
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 11:23 am 
Team Member
Team Member

justwanttobe wrote:
I recently purchased an emachines M6809 (would have liked a better gaming laptop, but for the price with rebates, could not be beat) without realizing that that amd athlon 64 processors, in laptops, when working with windows xp have the nasty habit of automatically decreasing their own processing speed to conserve battery (plugged in I have 2ghz, unplugged I have 800mhz). While there are times this would not be a problem, I would very much like to be able to conserve my battery power when I want to, not just because my laptop says it is going to do so. My question is this, I have heard on several laptop message boards, that there are programs (clockgen/amd powernow/etc...), all the post are ABSOLUTELY sure that they have worked with my laptop model, some even are nice enough to have directions, yet none seem to work. If anyone knows a program that has worked on the M6809 emachines with windows xp and which will allow me to manually choose when I want full processing power and when I want battery saving power, please don't just post the program(s) that will do this for me....but also please post directions on how to do it (preferably directions that are tested by you). Anyones help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long drawn out post.

first off, pretty much all laptops since 2000 clock down the CPU to save power.

second, can you find an options panel for the AMD PowerNow? You should be able to go in there and set it to stay at full speed when on batteries.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 7:02 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

im pretty sure you can turn off the power saving options somewhere...

like in power settings in control panel?

Post subject: Re: laptop tuneup question
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:13 am 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

justwanttobe wrote:

For Intel based laptops, the old SpeedStep options used to be found under the power management options within the laptops BIOS.

As for AMD, I would assume you'd find them in the same place, if not, see if there's a control panel for it within windows. If you don't find one there, look under the Power Options in the control panel and see if there's any options for it under the Advanced Tab.

Not all laptops clock down the CPU to save power either. Those of us with desktop based processors only have 1 clock rate.