Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Ram exceeding 1 gig
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:55 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Can anybody here answer my question? I'm wanting to know why Maximum Pc rarely if ever mentions building computers with more than 1.. that's ONE gig of ram. Mobo's may be able to handle up to 3 gigs, but still they always sum up a "dream machine" with "stick in one gig of ram and.... " that's it! I've inquired about this with MPC, but no answers yet, so I came on here looking for some sort of explanation... can anybody answer this burning question? Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:32 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

there's not really too much that u can do that would require more than 1 gig of ram ...

Post subject: Re: Ram exceeding 1 gig
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:35 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

I Am Weasel wrote:
Can anybody here answer my question? I'm wanting to know why Maximum Pc rarely if ever mentions building computers with more than 1.. that's ONE gig of ram. Mobo's may be able to handle up to 3 gigs, but still they always sum up a "dream machine" with "stick in one gig of ram and.... " that's it! I've inquired about this with MPC, but no answers yet, so I came on here looking for some sort of explanation... can anybody answer this burning question? Thanks!

Most game systems dont require more than 1GB. You can still get by with 512MB of RAM these days, although 1GB is becomming more and more common.

For gaming systems you want to have faster hard drives (or arrrays), faster video cards and faster procs.

Post subject: Re: Ram exceeding 1 gig
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:44 am 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

I Am Weasel wrote:

It's simple.

DRAM manufacturers can't make huge density chips yet with low memory timings yet. When was the last time you saw a 1GB stick of PC3500 with a CAS/CL of 2?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:32 am 
Klamath
Klamath

well, my beef with it is, the mobo manufacturers usually allow more than one gig, in other words, a mobo's specs are that they can handle more than one gig of ram, so why not max that out? Why build a system with all the high end components then not let them have the absolute most potential? I built my own system a year ago and stuck in 1.5 gigs of ram, but had to cut back when one of the slots was bad. I had the computer up and running and basically let it go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:45 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

I Am Weasel wrote:
well, my beef with it is, the mobo manufacturers usually allow more than one gig, in other words, a mobo's specs are that they can handle more than one gig of ram, so why not max that out?.

Because that follows the same logic as saying that most mobos have 4 or 5 PCI slots, so why not max them out? If it's not going to be used, then it's a waste of funds and untapped potential, not "absolute most potential." Most people will find 512mb sufficient, I'd personally like to have 1g. Anything above that will not see any benefit except for some very specific apps and tasks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:24 am 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

I've not done extensive testing, so don't quote me on this, but the only app or game I've used in ages that ever uses more than 1GB of memory is Planetside.

Nothing else comes close, although I expect Doom3 and (maybe) Half-Life 2 will as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:16 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

One4yu2c wrote:
I Am Weasel wrote:
well, my beef with it is, the mobo manufacturers usually allow more than one gig, in other words, a mobo's specs are that they can handle more than one gig of ram, so why not max that out?.

Because that follows the same logic as saying that most mobos have 4 or 5 PCI slots, so why not max them out? If it's not going to be used, then it's a waste of funds and untapped potential, not "absolute most potential." Most people will find 512mb sufficient, I'd personally like to have 1g. Anything above that will not see any benefit except for some very specific apps and tasks.

What he said :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:21 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Ok.. so this kinda explains it. Maybe I'm a little green here, so forgive me, but what about the paging file? Isn't that set on how much RAM you have available? So, greater the ram, the greater the paging file size?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:46 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

no, u can make the paging file whatever size u want it to be. and actually, u want the page file to be used the least amount possible. the best thing u could do with 3GBs of ram is set up 2GBs to be a RAM drive and put ur page file on that since windows likes to use it for no reason. that would increase performance a bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 1:45 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

XHAOS wrote:
no, u can make the paging file whatever size u want it to be. and actually, u want the page file to be used the least amount possible. the best thing u could do with 3GBs of ram is set up 2GBs to be a RAM drive and put ur page file on that since windows likes to use it for no reason. that would increase performance a bit.

That's a very expensive tweak. The downside to that is that the memory you assign for the RAM drive is no longer available to system RAM. 2Gigs of ram isn't cheap, so throwing most of it out of normal use is a very drastic decision in order to have a game level load quicker. And having a Gig of Ram and 2 Gigs of virtual memory is serious overkill...RAM drive or physical drive. I don't eat up near that anyway...

If some program uses more than one Gig of system memory, the program PROBABLY has a leak:p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 2:13 am 
Team Member
Team Member

i didnt say it was cheap, or the way to go, just about the only thing i could think of that u could use 3GBs of ram for ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 7:02 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

I Am Weasel wrote:
Ok.. so this kinda explains it. Maybe I'm a little green here, so forgive me, but what about the paging file? Isn't that set on how much RAM you have available? So, greater the ram, the greater the paging file size?

Give this a gander:

http://www.ultratech-llc.com/KB/?File=/pagefile.txt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:51 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Thanks One4yu2c, good link. I'm in waiting atm for pci express to come along before I delve into upgrading my computer. This helps out a lot. Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:33 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

I Am Weasel wrote:
Thanks One4yu2c, good link. I'm in waiting atm for pci express to come along before I delve into upgrading my computer. This helps out a lot. Thanks again!

Welcome :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:29 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

WillSmith wrote:
I've not done extensive testing, so don't quote me on this, but the only app or game I've used in ages that ever uses more than 1GB of memory is Planetside.

Nothing else comes close, although I expect Doom3 and (maybe) Half-Life 2 will as well.

far cry? that would have been my guess...but i would also think that would use more graphics ram than system ram

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:26 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I'd say Far Cry as well.

The memory on the video card handles displaying pixels and graphics only, while system memory handles the game's physics...which are becomming more and more complex.

This is also one of the reasons why AMD is the gaming CPU choice. The onboard memory controller is so much more efficient, and it shines:D