Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: How do I get a tech job with Certs but without EXPERIENCE!!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:01 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Since my very first experience with the job market I noticed one thing, and Im noticing that same thing again although now I have some experience behind me.
And that is, companies want to hire individuals WITH experience but no one is willing to give people a entry lvl position without Experience. Seems like a catch 22 to me.

As this applies to IT work, well for me my next agenda is starting at the bottom with a A+ cert. The problem is that just about every company wants individuals to have 2+ yrs experience even if its for something like a help desk position.

Do any of you have any suggestions as to how I might avoid this problem?
Who knows, hopefully this will be helpful to not only myself but some of you that are trying to start your careers.

The 3 things I came up with...

1-I got this from another post and hadnt thought about it before but, moving to a TECH heavy area of United States that would be more willing to hire entry level individuals. Im not sure if I can handle the gloom of Washington State(redmond) but that was one of the choices.

2-Get a very minimal part time tech job (repairing computers etc) so that I could have some experience.

3-Go to a school that even with minimal classes has some sort of Job Placement.

Am I missing anything else or you guys have any other good ideas :) that I need to employ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:21 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

That's pretty much it. You have to have experience before they give you the job. You can't get the experience without getting the job.

You either have to be lucky with a small company, get an internship through college, and/or prostitute yourself out for a year or two at minimal to no pay. Not necessarily in that order... :P

If you do stuff on the side with friends and the like, you can probably list that on your resume as consulting/contractor work. Still, starting off you're going to be thin on the resume.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:22 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

well al i could say is get your A+ Cert... or other CompTIA certs... maybe practice repairing your own computers for experience...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:49 am 

I had 0 experience aside from college when I got my job. I think taking a few classes, or even getting your associates will help you. If you can handle getting your associates (maybe part time) and study for a cert.

Having a GOOD resume is key.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:39 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

They always ASK for experience (ie., in job postings).

Apply anyway and charm them during the interview.

A sharp resume will get you an interview; good interpersonal skills will get you the job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:41 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Certainly it can't hurt to send in a resume, but with any large company, it'll get tossed in file 13 by the HR department because it doesn't "meet the template". You might have a chance if you can find a way past the HR gatekeeper to the actual person offering the job.

Side notes for the OP:

1) You usually never get a response on resumes you send. It just vanishes into the unknown. This is the norm. If there's no response after a couple weeks, I assume that it was rejected and work accordingly (send in a different resume if I am still interested in the company or move on).

2) You may have headhunter type agencies offering to work to place you with companies. If they want a fee from you, walk away. The agencies will get paid by the company offering the job, not you. If they want some money from you, it's very flaky. This can be different for the executive level, but is true for the other levels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:19 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

jcollins wrote:
Certainly it can't hurt to send in a resume, but with any large company, it'll get tossed in file 13 by the HR department because it doesn't "meet the template". You might have a chance if you can find a way past the HR gatekeeper to the actual person offering the job.

So make your resume fit the template. I've been hired by quite a few large companies (AOL, eBay, Bell Canada, wtc.), and haven't had any trouble getting past HR. In fact, that is the easy part .. just charm and smiles .. HR numpties have a checklist of words / acronyms that they can't pronounce and pass along candidates who nod knowingly when they are asked.

Quote:
(1) You usually never get a response on resumes you send. It just vanishes into the unknown. This is the norm. If there's no response after a couple weeks, I assume that it was rejected and work accordingly (send in a different resume if I am still interested in the company or move on).

I disagree. I get calls from more than half of the resumes I send out ... about 65%, actually.

You have to target the companies that to which you are applying. Hit the companies that are actively hiring (obviously) and follow up when you can.

Quote:
2) You may have headhunter type agencies offering to work to place you with companies. If they want a fee from you, walk away. The agencies will get paid by the company offering the job, not you. If they want some money from you, it's very flaky. This can be different for the executive level, but is true for the other levels.

Good advice. Headhunters are well paid by the hiring company and can be quite aggressive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:42 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Re. responses. Hrm, I never got any responses to speak of, unless they wanted an interview. I was targetting companies that were hiring (of course). Not sure if it is a resume thing or maybe a west coast thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:09 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

jcollins wrote:
Re. responses. Hrm, I never got any responses to speak of, unless they wanted an interview. I was targetting companies that were hiring (of course). Not sure if it is a resume thing or maybe a west coast thing.

The only responses I got were for interviews as well ... sometimes for something other than the position to which I had applied, however.

Perhaps it is because my resume was impressive before I started applying in this industry ... any experience is better than none at all. I'm also horribly over-educated (horrible refers to the size of the debt I carried when I graduated :\ )

Perhaps the job market is more open, or hotter, or whatever in Canada ... I've worked on both coasts here, and in central Canada (Ottawa and Toronto are both IT centers in this country).

The important thing is to keep trying and to consider each application individually. Many people make the mistake of spamming the same resume to every company / advertisement that they can find. I prefer to tailor my resume and cover letter for each application. It takes longer, but it seems to pay off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:37 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Ah, I was talking about when they don't want the interview (usually the majority you send out). :) So it's pretty much "you want an interview" or you don't get anything. There's nothing saying "Yes we got your resume but we aren't interested in you at this time" sort of deals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:06 pm 

This thread has some good advice.
I am one of those people that is a "contractor" meaning, friends/family and I do mild work for a small CPA firm. It was my friends that referred me to help the small firm when one of the employees was having trouble with the network and my friend tossed in a good word for me. Now I'm the only guy he likes working on his PCs' and network and will call me for my advice on upgrades.
The contractor part on a resume does work, but you have to learn how to sell yourself otherwise they may think you're a joke.
On another note, while I was living in San Jose, CA, I did exactly what was mentioned on here and simply tossed my resume in to a few tech firms. I thought for sure I wouldn't get a call back with the high list of demands they had.
Guess what? Cisco and HP called me in for an interview.
Too bad I moved back to CO. :(

Hope that helps motivate you? Just goes to show that some employers aim high but are willing to shoot low for the right person.
Now, if you'll pardon me. I need to go cry, again, for having to respectfully decline an interview with Cisco and HP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:54 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

jcollins wrote:
Ah, I was talking about when they don't want the interview (usually the majority you send out). :) So it's pretty much "you want an interview" or you don't get anything. There's nothing saying "Yes we got your resume but we aren't interested in you at this time" sort of deals.

With the exception of those places that have automated replies: "Thank you, blah blah blah, we will keep your resume on file, blah blah blah"

I hate those .. you get all excited when you see email in your inbox, and then BOOM .. nada. :|

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:39 am 
Team Member
Team Member

What's a pain is when you turn in your resume, and the company says they're interested, but never calls you back!!! I have to call them several times, to finally schedule an interview, and then they'll "get back with me." But they're so overloaded with work and they don't have time to talk with the other owners. I have two deals like that going with two different repair shops. I'll be calling them again today...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:06 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Jipstyle

Is right, make sure you don't write out one resume and then send it to everyone thinking that will get you a call back or placed on the short stack. If you can get an Associates go for it, I will be getting mine in a couple of months and part of the fees for classes were for taking my certs. (A+, Net+ and Microsoft certs) I didn't pass my Microsoft certs, but I get a reduced price on taking them again, another big help. Another big plus on going back to school can be resume help, if they have a good career center. They helped build out mine so I received an internship, that turned into a part time job. And now I have a grant funded full time job for the next three years.

Check temp agencies, even if you only get a job for a month or two, your getting experience. Before I got my internship I had a part time job one night a week sitting in a computer lab, fixing student problems, and helping out in the classrooms during the night.

You have gotten a lot of good advice from everyone, hope it helps you out.