Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:48 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

dedgar wrote:
reddogleader, I've had an OEM version for a while and I've changed enough stuff to have to reactivate. Naturally it wouldn't do so via the web, I had to call them. I explained what I did to the person that answered and was given a new set of numbers to put in for activation.

ya, the only difference between retail and OEM is you don't have to pay for the fancy retail box! I've had both OEM XP and Vista and like the other said, you have to call them to reactivate it after the first 2 or 3 times, no big deal, they're always real nice and it takes about 5 min.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:03 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

jonnyquest wrote:
Both were work computers, different jobs for each.

Both are Athlon XP Barton core 2500+ with 1 GB RAM.

The one I built for a little extra price (it has a critical use) is much faster and more reliable. The Cyberpower just runs cad/cam stuff, I finally put a better cooler on it, and it's been cooler. It's just a cheap computer, and I don't mean the price. The price difference wasn't all that great, but the quality was. We really don't need the flashy display on the front that is supposed to display.... something... so we never pushed the issue as we need the PC daily.

They've both been running daily for around 6 years or more. No hiccups with the built one, lotsa maintenance and replacement parts for the cad/cam cyberpower. I just found it frustrating they have no drivers or info. on the system. Fortunately they used off the shelf parts. A check of CPU-Z showed me where to get information on the mobo.

Pretty good if they're still running. I've had to upgrade parts on my Barton, it has a new PSU just got a new hard drive, redid the thermal paste.

The computer I mentioned above is running. I was able to back up the drive then hit F9 & restored the back up image, thankfully it was still there. Had a corrupt hard drive due to user error.

Now, I wasn't around when he got this computer but like you there are no disks, no OS disk and no driver disk.. not sure if he lost them or what but the system we configured for my friend years ago, she got both disks, so IDK. Thankfully he got a Gigabyte mobo, same family as the one my son has so I was able to use his driver CD when I originally worked on it last year.

I've priced out a few systems over the years both with ordering from CP & I buy power, plus just ordering parts.. they were cheaper, especially if you add in the Windows CD you'd have to buy, always saved a few hundred.

I hope the company isn't getting like Monarch.. too big for themselves. I'll use caution when recommending them. If there is a large savings over building, it's worth it, even if I have to upgrade a few parts like the PSU.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:01 am 

I've also got a circa 2004 Athalon XP2500 system and other than the power supply getting flakey 2-1/2 years into it, never had a problem. I upgraded my PSU when I upgraded my Video card. Used daily for games, surfing, bills, documents, etc.

I would say that a friend of mine had to get a replacement NIC, and getting ahold of customer service was tricky. Once he did talk to a person, they RMA'd a new one. Not 'premium' service, but I've experienced worse from other, larger computer companies.

I also just purchased a laptop from them, and sofar, (one month) no troubles. Laptop is only used for word processing and surfing though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:36 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

where to go........ its more expensive, but digital storm is a super quality brand.
http://www.digitalstormonline.com/
its like a falcon NW, just not SUPER overpriced, although these guys are overpriced, they make up for it in craftsmanship 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:07 am 

Wanted to share my story:
I ordered a new box back on March 14, 2008. Here are the specs.
Case:CoolerMaster Cosmos S Gaming Full Tower
CPU: Quad Q6600
CD: PIONEER DVR-111
CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Liquid CPU Cooling System
Hard Drive: 320GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM
Motherboard: Asus P5N-T Deluxe nForce 780i SLI
Memory: 2 GB of Corsair XMS2 Xtreme Memory w/ Heat Spreader, PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory
PSU: Thermaltake ToughPower 750W
Vid Card: EVGA GeForce 8800 GT 1GB

The system was shipped on 3/26/2008. Received it on 4/2/08.
When I took it out of the packaging and open up the case I found that the video card was hanging from its power cord. No mounting screws to be found. So naturally I got my stash of hardware and re-connected it as required.
Plugged the box into a wall outlet (no monitor attached at this point), powered it up and everything was on. Now I brought it downstairs (heavy case mind you) and connected everything. I could not get a video signal what so ever. Tried everything I knew (reseting the card, ram..etc) but still nothing.
Called tech support and after (2) hours I was able to talk to someone. He ended up giving me an RMA number. So I shipped the unit back on 4/7/08 and it arrived on 4/11/08. I waited until 4/14/08 to call and check on status. The tech assigned to fixing my computer asked me to call back in a week and he will "have good news" for me. So, I call back on 4/21/08. Couldn't get through to anyone for hours. When I finally did they told me that I needed a complete re-build. They never told me why but my guess is that they couldn't figure out what was wrong.
I kindly asked for an expected ship date and all they could tell me is it could take 2-3 weeks. I have sent e-mails and left voice messages but no one there can seem to tell me the status. So now more than a month after I ordered my computer I am still waiting and have no idea when I will see the product I have already begun to pay for. One thing is for sure, if it comes back DOA again I am sending it back permanently and will build it myself.
This is not the first time I dealt with them. My first box (4 years old) is still running strong. That is why I went back to them. Now I have my doubts.

I will update later on when I obtain more information.

*Update*
Cyberpower called me last night and told me that the system would ship this week via 3 day air (no charge to me).

-B-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:51 am 

I looked through this board a little more, and now I am surprised this company might act like AW, where technical support and maybe even customer service could be completely lacked. Again, for companies that care more about the looks of a gaming system than the hardware that's inside one.

Maybe I can order just the PC case and its lighting mods while I put in my own motherboard and my own parts (including power supply) so it would take the guesswork out of calling tech support?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:37 am 

Hello ladies and gentlemen,

I’m sad to report that it looks like I will be another victim of Cyberpowers poor computers. I’ve been very content and patient up until this point as CP has repaired my computer every time it has gone down.

To summarize my issues the time line goes as follows:

I purchased my computer ($2400) from Cyberpower on Aug. 30th 2006. The computer ran great and the only issue I had was with the video card where I would have to change DVI ports every so often as I would get a sync issue and the screen would flicker.

8 months after receiving my computer it died. It was sent to Cyberpower for repair and received a new mother board. It took them 6 weeks to get my computer back to me.

2 months after getting my computer fixed it died yet again the water cooler leaked! Cypberpower gladly fixed it. This time Ram, CPU and MB had been replaced. Again it took 4 weeks to get the computer back to me.

I get the computer back and it has a different video card, missing a DVD drive, only 1 gig of ram not 2, and is now air cooled! On top of that the case was so bent none of the cards lined up with the case ports so I could not even plug in anything; usb, monitor, nothing. I called CP and asked them if they sent me the wrong computer. The tech guy was puzzled and asked me to send it back. At this point I was upset and DROVE it down to them (1.5 hour drive in light traffic). They agreed and fixed the computer back to what I had ordered with the exception of the video card. It was changed from a Gforce 7950 GX2 (1gb) to a 8800GTS 640mb as the 7950 was “discontinued.â€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:38 am 

Do not wait to file the complaint. You can always withdraw the complaint if you want to. I had to file three times before I finally got my money back. I don't think you will be that lucky. Sorry. I went with Digial Storm Online to get the one I have now. It took two months and I spent much more than planned but I do have a kick A_ _ machine. And talk about service. First rate.

I wish that the magazines would stop taking the advertising (I know its money) from these companies that keep selling substandard products and services. The advertising should be in one location in the magazine (I know, I know, not possible) with a full page disclamer that the magazine does not endorse any of the companies or products advertised unless it is willing to take some of the heat for these substandard companies. But that is just my opion and I do practice what I preach. I do not purchase this magazine any longer or any of the ones assocated with MaximumPC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:02 am 

We know CyberPowerPC puts their ads in a page or two of this mag, were there any publications of this mag that showed the ups and downs of CyberPowerPC? Or were these guys even mentioned on Consumer Reports?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 3:30 pm 

Well I asked for a supervisor and a refund for the third time today. And for the third time I got "The supervisor is not available, we will have him call you back."

:roll: Can you guess if they had called me back?

I sent them a letter today requesting a refund and will file a small claims case against them on Monday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 11:50 am 

They should lose your case easily, I am sure even the BBB can support you in this matter.

burnttoast wrote:
I sent them a letter today requesting a refund and will file a small claims case against them on Monday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:23 pm 

Well they finally called me back today. They say the 3 year warranty is only for the case, CD rom, floppy drive, fans, and cables. Motherboard, CPU, Ram, Hard Drives, and Video cards are only 1 year. :?

They told me to take up any further repairs with the parts manufacturer. They will not repair any further since I'm out of my "warranty", and they wont give me a refund because I'm past my 30 day refund period.

I think no matter how you look at it, selling someone a computer that constantly breaks down is bad business. Breaking down 6 times, and only lasting 2-3 months at a time after being repaired is a joke.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:05 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

burnttoast wrote:
Well they finally called me back today. They say the 3 year warranty is only for the case, CD rom, floppy drive, fans, and cables. Motherboard, CPU, Ram, Hard Drives, and Video cards are only 1 year. :?

FWIW, most computer manufacturers only give a 1 year warrenty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:59 am 
team psycho or sumthin
team psycho or sumthin

Blondie wrote:

FWIW, most computer manufacturers only give a 1 year warrenty.

Unless you register and buy the extended protection at $100-300 depending on who the manufacturers are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:02 am 

symbolic X wrote:
We know CyberPowerPC puts their ads in a page or two of this mag, were there any publications of this mag that showed the ups and downs of CyberPowerPC? Or were these guys even mentioned on Consumer Reports?

Gordon Mah Ung did a review on a Cyberpower machine in this months edition. He mentioned a few hickup, but the system was made from all brandname off the shelf products. He raved about the price ($5000), which he said was somewhat less than you could buy the components seperately.

He rated it a '9'.

Post subject: Update
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:37 pm 

Well,

I'll give you guys a bit of an update. I sued Cyberpower in small claims for the cost of the computer. Before we went to court I had Danny Lee the lead tech call me and work out a deal that they would repair my computer at their cost ONE last time if I would drop the lawsuit. I agreed (because its not about the money I just want a working computer), and sent the computer back to them (they even paid shipping). I was reassured they would change out my motherboard (asus) with an equal quality motherboard of a different brand since I have had multiple motherboard failures using the 5PN32 Asus. I received my computer back on Sat (aug 2nd) only to find the same MB was used. Not really a big deal, at least not in comparison to what was next...THE COMPUTER WAS DOA! All I get is lights. No video, no motherboard beeps, no nothing.

Sigh... so I still have a $2000 paper weight. I don't know what I'm going to do at the moment. As you can guess I'm not to pleased.

Post subject: Re: Update
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:49 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

burnttoast wrote:
Sigh... so I still have a $2000 paper weight. I don't know what I'm going to do at the moment. As you can guess I'm not to pleased.

Back to small claims court--and don't let 'em talk you out of it this time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:16 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

burnttoast wrote:

No offense, but it is very clear from what you wrote that that is exactly the warranty to which you are entitled. It sucks, but it says clearly that the warranty is for three years except for a select list of parts. In the future, when you see a warranty that protects 'everything' for three years except the important / breakable / expensive parts ... turn it down.

I think you still have a decent case, though, given how little use you've gotten from your PC over the years. You were sold a lemon and they kept giving you more lemons until your warranty ran out.

Post subject: Re: Update
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:18 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

SpazzAttack wrote:
burnttoast wrote:

Back to small claims court--and don't let 'em talk you out of it this time.

I just hope that he didn't sign anything that said he wouldn't sue. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:18 am 

Yea. I have definitely learned my lesson when it comes to warranties.

I did not sign anything in regards to not being able to sue them again, and I even dropped the case with prejudice. So I can sue if needed.

At the moment nothing has happened. I have been in contact (email) with Danny Lee (lead repair guy) and he said he was going to call me over the weekend to try and trouble shoot the system. He never called. In his last email to me he offered to build me a new rig under the pretence that I would 1) drop any and all current and future law suits and 2) The will offer NO Warranty what so ever. To be honest, I cannot trust their build quality so I'm just asking for a refund.

If he does not email me or call me within the next few days I'll just have to take them to court. While the issue of what is outlined in the warranty can be debated, as Jipstyle pointed out, I was sold a lemon.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next