Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Help Desk- Any suggestions how to get this position?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:01 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Recently Ive been looking to get help desk position.
Ive been watching careerbuilder, monster and cragislist.
Are there any other websites that I should know about?

Any other suggestions on finding a help desk job that I might not of thought about?

Is "Help Desk" the most typical entry level IT position and are there any other entry level IT positions?

Thanks for the help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:08 am 
Klamath
Klamath

do you have any Certs or degrees?

cause that would definitively help you get a job....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:47 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

How much would it help?

From what I know talking to friends in the business, Im capable of filling a help desk position. Most of the time the ads I read for help desk jobs dont mention certs as a requirement....they just want you to be knowledgeable.

Maybe its just the area I live in (NC).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:56 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I'm 16 (and I'm working on my first certification, A+) and I know that a certification will really help. For example, Best Buy doesn't require an A+ certification, but you have a much better chance of getting hired in the computer support, troubleshooting, and repair departments.

Also, I know that employers pay a bit more for certified employees (i.e. Best Buy).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:58 am 
Klamath
Klamath

yeppers certs make u more marketable...

im not saying you dont know anything, but if you applied for the job they dont know how much you know about pc's...for all they know you could be lying just to get the job... because they most likely do provide troubleshooting flow charts there... but if you were to get your A+ Certification and get your 201-601 exam out of the way and then go do the 201-603 exam (i think thats the code) and get the help desk tech designation, you will have no problem getting that job because that paper proves you know what you should know to be a help desk tech.

hope this helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:42 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Thanks for the help

Now any suggestions and least expensive way to get the training for both of those certs, the A+ and the other one you were talking about?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:04 am 
Team Member
Team Member

endersshadow wrote:
Thanks for the help

Now any suggestions and least expensive way to get the training for both of those certs, the A+ and the other one you were talking about?

If you are a good reader, and can comprehend what you read well, I'd recommend buying a book with a CD of practice questions. You can get this for under $100 easily, much cheaper than most of the training programs out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:44 pm 

certs dont mean as much as they used to, i think the only place that requires your A+ is Dell, and you wouldnt want to work for them anyway, its a crap company that treats their people just that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:51 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Nate wrote:
certs dont mean as much as they used to, i think the only place that requires your A+ is Dell, and you wouldnt want to work for them anyway, its a crap company that treats their people just that way.

lmao what do you know?...

future shop,best buy, Staples, dell,HP,IBM, local computer shops ALL WOULD RATHER HIRE AN A+ CERTIFIED PERSON... AND I CAN TYPE DOWN MUCH MORE....

Nate dont type somthing unless you know what your talking about...

like go look on monster.ca or a site were you look for jobs and search the IT feild... EVERY employer who is looking for a PC Tech wants a person who is A+ Certified...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:28 am 
Team Member
Team Member

sheldon wrote:
Nate wrote:

future shop,best buy, Staples, dell,HP,IBM, local computer shops ALL WOULD RATHER HIRE AN A+ CERTIFIED PERSON... AND I CAN TYPE DOWN MUCH MORE....

Ditto that... and like most of the small (and medium sized) computer repair shops out there. (Data Doctors, Computer Renaissance, & The Village Geek for instance...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:43 am 

sheldon wrote:
Nate wrote:

like go look on monster.ca or a site were you look for jobs and search the IT feild... EVERY employer who is looking for a PC Tech wants a person who is A+ Certified...

I have my A+, Net+, Security+, MCP, and MCSA, and guess what, without a degree, good luck making over 30-35k a year (central united states) without at least a bachlors degree, you can get lucky and find something but its few and far between, and btw, when I was talking about places that required their a+ I was talking about places around here (oklahoma city and surrounding areas. Which is just Dell now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:19 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

lmao well why didint you say it was only arround your area...cause i know in canada and everywere i look they require a A+...

besides you need to move to get a good job...

certs are stile good...

a CCNA will average a 70k a year and CCNP will average 90k+ and CCIE is 200k a year...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:23 pm 

sounds like i should move to canada

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:15 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Nate wrote:
sheldon wrote:
Nate wrote:

I have my A+, Net+, Security+, MCP, and MCSA, and guess what, without a degree, good luck making over 30-35k a year (central united states) without at least a bachlors degree, you can get lucky and find something but its few and far between, and btw, when I was talking about places that required their a+ I was talking about places around here (oklahoma city and surrounding areas. Which is just Dell now.

Only 30-35 a year?

Whats this then?

http://tinyurl.com/2gt45f <--Job on careerbuilderclaims 25-82k per year.

Am I missing something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:11 pm 

As a matter of fact you are, thats on the east coast, I said central united states, aka not on the east or west coast

and thats the biggest BS job posting ive ever seen, nobody gets paid 80k a year for a help desk position

thats too big of a salary range anyway, bank it you wouldnt make more than 30k at that job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:24 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

naw i dont see a help desk tech making more then 30k all they do is anser a phone ... meh i could be mistaking ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:31 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

K point taken :)

I know I came here looking for advice, but if I wanted better money without a bachelors degree Id move if I were you. Doesnt sound like there is much of a job market for IT related work where you live.

And as far as the responsibilities of a help desk tech, I guess that would depend on the company he or she was working for. Ive got friends in the business and they said the position would entail anything from just answering the phone to going to the computer in question and even possibly having secondary job responsibilities when work was slow like installing software apps or updating X ammount of pcs.

30k starting out would be fine with me. For some of you that probably wouldnt be enough money but it would suit me fine.

Quick question, regardless of what Long Term IT field I was shooting for, would a entry level help desk job be the first place to start?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:24 am 

endersshadow wrote:
K point taken :)

I know I came here looking for advice, but if I wanted better money without a bachelors degree Id move if I were you. Doesnt sound like there is much of a job market for IT related work where you live.

And as far as the responsibilities of a help desk tech, I guess that would depend on the company he or she was working for. Ive got friends in the business and they said the position would entail anything from just answering the phone to going to the computer in question and even possibly having secondary job responsibilities when work was slow like installing software apps or updating X ammount of pcs.

30k starting out would be fine with me. For some of you that probably wouldnt be enough money but it would suit me fine.

Quick question, regardless of what Long Term IT field I was shooting for, would a entry level help desk job be the first place to start?

Everyone starts in Entry Level. Best thing you can do is get experience.

Post subject: 2 cents
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:13 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Location: The Emperors Realm of the Interior of Southern California
Just to add... I'm a west coast help desk employee with a fairly large co.

Certs are not required, but they never hurt! I have none, btw

We start First Level Entry Techs at ~43K a year

And I got hired through DICE.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:58 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

That sounds like a nice living but where In Cali do you live?

Currently I live in NC, been here for 9 yrs. Moved here from OC cali (santa ana/HB/FV) when I was 21 and Im not sure if 43 would be enough money to live on :)

I hear all these nightmare stories from friends.

For the other poster I understand that entry level is where everyone starts. Im not a complete moron. My question was, related to the IT field, is "HELP DESK" THE ONLY entry level position regardless of the end goal IT job. Hopefully that was clearer.

Thanks again