Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:59 am 
Million Club
Million Club

That too is a good one. Mine is geared more to those who just want to know the absolute basics to get their hardware to run faster, while that guide goes a tad more in depth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:28 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

ravenhawk82 wrote:
That too is a good one. Mine is geared more to those who just want to know the absolute basics to get their hardware to run faster, while that guide goes a tad more in depth.

Depth is a good thing for people who like to learn and don't like being spoon-fed.
Overclock.net also has great guides. Could we start some here or would it be too much of a hassle?
I'll be able to write up a GA-P35-DS3R (R 1.0) guide in a couple days.

Last edited by 00john00 on Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:56 am 
Willamette
Willamette

EXCELLENT JOB i have never oced and have been afraid to try, but now plop in a second bumped up .2 on processor (which isnt much but ill do more) ty so much man

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:37 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

jacob938 wrote:
EXCELLENT JOB i have never oced and have been afraid to try, but now plop in a second bumped up .2 on processor (which isnt much but ill do more) ty so much man

I'm glad I could help! .2GHz (200MHz) is a great start. Keep up the good work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:27 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

00john00 wrote:
Depth is a good thing for people who like to learn and don't like being spoon-fed.
Depth comes from more advanced actions based on individual builds. A write up on one specific CPU has too many variables, along with board choices...seldom can we mimic one another.

There IS very contained instances where we can state that a certain part is capable, and then again...we get into the supporting cast. Like the Allendales able to run 3.4Ghz for a $80 proc. We can state that, but only in enthusiast minded builds with the proper shoring to do such a thing. In an actual "Most cases", it's easy to recommend on something from the 1.8Ghz Allen family (4300/2160).

It's important for all to note what chipset they're using at the utmost. After that, who puts this chipset on their boards. Abit and Asus are fine overclockers, and known for it. Asus has the lead for the side perks they offer, but at an added cost. Gigabyte has long term durability issues in this house (and all houses therein lived). They appear great in reviews, but I can't come close to repeating such results (special review boards??? Makes good for the company. Most run based on reviews alone and don't back it with their own tests).

Raven has very sound advice for those redundant questions we get. Then, we can get more detailed upon each person's build more one on one. It really lightens the load of the OC/cooling section to cut out the basics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:10 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Ravenhawk's Ultimate Overclocking Guide is nice and very informative. No doubt about it :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:13 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

bravo, i reccomended my friend to it, he absoloutly loved it! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:50 am 
Million Club
Million Club

I like the new title :lol:
It's true.... I should've put it like that when I first posted it, but I originally planned to have a more in depth guide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:22 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

ravenhawk82 wrote:
It's true.... I should've put it like that when I first posted it, but I originally planned to have a more in depth guide.
Oh, sorry bud! I thought you had gone absent for a while so didn't mention it. It was more than fitting, as it was ultimate. Now that you've taught so many, it's now time to call it what it is, right? It's time to take the same crowd that read it...further.

Need data, and collecting it. Right now I'm running into verbage issues with the Gigabyte boards and other oddities. To put up an middle step sticky, will need a translator to tag along with it. Like "CPU host Frequency" is what any normal person would call "Front Side Bus". Just commented on that, but they're undermining us and making up new terms.

Can we Aim for Aug 2008 to have a new Ultimate? If it takes collaboration, I'm more than willing to help. I'm already sent out tentacles (not testicals folks) to those that have data to utilize. One year at a time, and we'll have the ultimate, ultimate, ultimate goto by this Christmas. It gets easier once the basics are out of the way.

Now, if they'd just read these things! Gotta promise more free beer?

Post subject: No phase change?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:55 pm 

:!: :?: why is there no info about phase change (pretty much a fridge in your pc) and that would get some of the best overclocks scince i have seen that you can get around -40 that's right -40 degrees celcuis on idle, which is quite impressive, but it costs 400+ dollars so out of most peoples price range for cooling, or at least for me anyway, but really, who wouldn't like to have some crazy overclocks on a almost silent cooling solution?

but i seem to not have been able to find anything about phase change technology on this thread..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:24 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

When basic spelling eludes a person, I normally assume phase change is more easily misunderstood.

"that's right, xxxx, amazing" is also something you must have just heard about, and no reason for a sticky. You must first pass go, to get to what you're reading about.

You, and I mean YOU, can not not first get past the basic levels, to justify your own question of why there's no sticky on phase change. That then takes physics, and I'll meet you on that when you're seriously into High School to conversate on such a level....below the average human.

It's not pretty much a fridge in your PC. Temps do not mean performance. So your automatic conclusion that all your basic thoughts combined mean we should pay attention to that is wasted. \

Show me Newton's law of cooling means cyclic incline, and I'll get on my knees and do the dirty.

So either clarify the question, or go back to "that's right" used car salesman BS in the noob forum you just got flamed out of.

Anyone, and I mean everyone in the Western Civilization, knows what phase change is. It's called air conditioning. It's not so awesome to use as a sticky for twerps to read. It takes more than general knowledge to think you're even past the basics to think you should automatically move right past that to phase change.

Try water. When you're disappointed, holler back. 1997, phase changing a Pentium. Wow, you heard it hear first...yo.Welcome to last decade. You need a sticky like I need a "secret to life for dummies".
-------------------------
Very quick PM. Why am I rude in this? Because it's come off like it's not been known. Maximum is not a maximum place if someone just found A/C to be the thing to use.

Rip the water bubbler off the wall, turn it into a PC cooler, and then use the basic scientific principle to see what's going on with it. Not going to do that? Then you've never heard of phase change in practice.

That's right! Buy now, and I'll throw in a pair of steaks knives. Hands down, the best you'll use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:35 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

HAHA Zing! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:34 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

heartagram wrote:
Go away!

Where's SC64 when you need him :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:50 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

00john00 wrote:
heartagram wrote:
Go away!

Where's SC64 when you need him :evil:

:?: :?: :?: Hmm? Did I say something wrong john? I was saluting Chumly.... Didn't mean to offend you and I'm sorry if I did. or maybe I'm misunderstanding and then umm... i dunno hehe :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:51 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

Chumly wrote:
ravenhawk82 wrote:
Oh, sorry bud! I thought you had gone absent for a while so didn't mention it. It was more than fitting, as it was ultimate. Now that you've taught so many, it's now time to call it what it is, right? It's time to take the same crowd that read it...further.

Need data, and collecting it. Right now I'm running into verbage issues with the Gigabyte boards and other oddities. To put up an middle step sticky, will need a translator to tag along with it. Like "CPU host Frequency" is what any normal person would call "Front Side Bus". Just commented on that, but they're undermining us and making up new terms.

Can we Aim for Aug 2008 to have a new Ultimate? If it takes collaboration, I'm more than willing to help. I'm already sent out tentacles (not testicals folks) to those that have data to utilize. One year at a time, and we'll have the ultimate, ultimate, ultimate goto by this Christmas. It gets easier once the basics are out of the way.

Now, if they'd just read these things! Gotta promise more free beer?

I'd be more than happy to re-ultimateize it. Point me to the data, and I'll put it where it needs to go. If you find anything though, use your mod power to add it in. I'll take my name out of the title, so it doesn't sound like I'm taking credit of everything.

You were right to assume I had gone absent for a while though. I'm working on starting a new gaming forum, as well as running my tech support forum, which has been eating up some time. If you need to get ahold of me though, don't hesitate to email me (press the email button under my posts).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:55 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Ya, saw that other stuff. I don't take credit well, and "RavenHawk's Guide" kind of just sticks around here. Well, wish it would stick more, but that's something else. But give a blank post, we'll all fill it...and suck in the credit; due or not. It's a community effort IMO.

The first initial effort to inform is usually the most potent. Believe me, I have oodles to say, and was part of my request to be here. I have an outlet now, just give me a direction to shoot!

Working in the BIOS brings up dilemmas. You need to make movies of that, and since I talk like a backwoods claimjumper, it dumbs it down. Then editing out the 3 minutes of thinking and boot/POST trials. It's a real mess getting to the advanced stuff!

But the basics still needs up in print, and the basic users need to learn to read stickies. Always will.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:10 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

While we're brainstorming for how to make the true ultimate guide, I'll throw my idea out there:

I say we make an indexed guide like the Folding FAQ. We could use the data from the current one, and with more people, we could make it more in-depth, catering to both the clueless newbie and the veteran that wants to know more. I'm still thinking on how we could do this, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:39 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

ravenhawk82 wrote:
While we're brainstorming for how to make the true ultimate guide, I'll throw my idea out there:

I say we make an indexed guide like the Folding FAQ. We could use the data from the current one, and with more people, we could make it more in-depth, catering to both the clueless newbie and the veteran that wants to know more. I'm still thinking on how we could do this, though.

I resemble that remark!! :P
I think the only way to expand the guide is to encourage people to post their step by step, ummm, steps to OC'ing. I plan on getting into my quad soon, and I'm going to try to make it as detailed as possible. Listing default settings, what was tweaked, how long it was tested before achieving a "stable" status, etc.

Any ideas on how to entice people to keep detailed records of their OC attempts and post the results here?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:50 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

OMG. Not sarcastic, but there's three people that passionate about it! To be honest, that's some quick response that shows the passion to inform. To get something out to the people. To teach.

Think I've said it, but this section should never have been left open, or to one or two people. It's a community. We need all the data we can get, and supply it.

To continue, ever person should collect basic info from their parts and save it in viewable fashion. Assuming the basic grows as needed, the further topics involve parts. Mentioned it in HelpMe build/Buy, but specs are just what's on the box. A data base is un-heard of. To have one on hand would be most good. Most good...

Just basic data. SPD mostly since that's the most variant. Where a label may say one thing, and the SPD being honest, undermined, or really liberal is up to a data base of usage.

This, is by all means, really old 3-3-3-8 DDR2 memory. Can't tell from the add though!
Or we could call it DDR2-1066 at 1.9V if we needed to. In the mean time, there's sticks out there wanting 5-5-5-15 at 2.2v passing as enthusiast sticks and getting bought as such. They barely make the grade.

DATA MINE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:54 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Chumly wrote:

DATA MINE

Can we do something like Thread of All Threads - Links to Frequent Subjects too. It would help us clear up the stickies.

I could start and maintain a Gigabyte P35 Overclocking thread. I would list my motherboard model, processor and voltages and ask others to do the same! The first post would only have the following info.

Motherboard, Processor@speed, FSB OverVoltage, (G)MCH OverVoltage, CPU Voltage

00john00- DS3R, Q6600@3.5, +1, +1, 1.45
00john00- DS3L, Q6600@3.2, Normal, Normal, 1.37

I would include more detailed info (BIOS options, CPU cooler, RAM, temps) in my second post. Do you guys think that would be beneficial or have other ideas?