Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: FTP issues
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:49 pm 

I have been trying configure my FTP server to work over the Internet to access anywhere. However, It has not successful. What I want to do is to link the the ftp's internal IP to this domain name: edmini.ftpaccess.cc. I got it off dyndns.com. at one point it worked with 169.254.25.129. Then it stopped. Next I tried my external IP 69.136.11.56; still nothing. I have been using the following for this:
Tomato Firmware, HTTP file server,and Filezilla server. I have port 21 open and The Hostname for the ftp site is EDMINI. It is a 500 gb Lacie EthernetDisk mini. I also have a wrt54g router with Tomato Firmware. I cannot find wake on lan in bios. So basically I want to know: What all do I need to do to run my ftp sevrer with edmini.ftpaccess.cc 24/7?Or should I try another approach?Should I start from scratch?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:16 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Set your domain (edmini.etc) to whatever appears here: http://checkip.dyndns.org/

Make sure port 21 is forwarded to your servers correct LAN IP and that the FTP server is set to use port 21.

Give it time. Dydns can be slow updating.

Possibly try your domain name + :21 to designate the port.

Is there an anonymous account? Is your server set to reject logins without credentials? Check its logs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:54 pm 

I would say this. I also run an FTP server with domain registration through DynDNS.
First, as it sounds you have already done. Is to port forward on your router. Any way, to cover it again open port 21 and forward it to port 21 on 192.168.*.*, whatever LOCAL IP the server is at. If you don't know how to find this, go to Start > Run> Type "cmd" > then type ipconfig > it will be listed as IP address.
After that your routers port should be open so that you can access that port from outside the LAN.
Your problem it seems, is that you don't have a static IP, and that it changes periodically. When you register with DynDNS you use the auto detected IP address I would imagine. After registering try typing in your browser ftp://yourdomain.ftpaccess.cc It should bring you to a login or FTP screen. That should work. If it works for a while then stops working again, you don't have a static IP. So you would either have to contact your ISP and request a static IP. Or check everyday to see if it changed, and if so, update it in DynDNS. You can check your internet ip at www.whatismyip.com.
Hopefully this helps you. If you have anymore questions or it doesn't work, feel free to send me a PM.

Post subject: Re: FTP issues
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:12 am 

Quote:
You can check your internet ip at www.whatismyip.com.

There is a similar ip search site called IP-Details.com to check our External ip address. Here it display IP address, ISP, Location, Country and so on,...