Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Puter will not post
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:39 am 

Hi all.. I just put my Mobo and CPU in a new Case. Everytime I turn it on nothing will come on the screen.. I have tried a different video card, different ram ... I know that the Mobo and CPU worked fine before. I have disconnected everything on the Mobo so that only the Video Card , Ram and CPU are connected.

Has anyone else ever have this happen? Any ideas that I may have missed?

Thanks for the help

Amdmhz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:34 am 

1) Might be a psu in the new case.
2) Might not have the little connectors for the power switch, power led, HDD led connected to the mobo properly.
3) New case might have a bad power switch.

Could be other things, but with what info you gave this is what I'm leaning towards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:35 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Re-seat your CPU and make sure you have enough thermal paste and that the paste is applied properly.

edit: I can't spell.

Last edited by deject on Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:48 am 

Good point. I didn't see him mention that his PSU powered up or fans started turning, so I started at the beginning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:17 am 
Northwood
Northwood

also could be a grounding issue. try removin the mobo again and reseat it on your new case. good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:28 am 

Reseeded everything... Mobo lights come on..No beeps of any kind .. Just won't post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:51 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Amdmhz wrote:
Reseeded everything... Mobo lights come on..No beeps of any kind .. Just won't post

Next step: take out every single part except the CPU, RAM, and your Videocard. If it POSTs then add in your other cards one at a time until it doesn't POST anymore, then you've found your culprit!

If it still doesn't post, then you've got one of two possibles:

1) your motherboard is bad
2) your CPU is bad

peace...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:25 pm 

I found this amazingly handly little tool for diagnosing exactly the kind of problem you are having. Its the Soyo TechAID Diagnostic Card. Its a PCI card with a little display on it that shows you POST codes. It even doubles as a PSU tester. It only costs $45.

Anyway, I had the exact same problem you have with one of my older computers. I determined that the BIOS chip went bad and needs to be replaced with a new chip, but the problem you have may be solved more easily. Like yours, mine didnt seem to be posting, but thats because the settings in the BIOS were all messed up. Every time I turned off the computer it lost the settings that should have been stored. The default settings would not work on this computer, so it just basicly refused to work like that. The battery was fine and everything was connected properly (not to mention they had been working fine for the past 2 years). The problem was simply a dieing chip that wouldnt hold its settings.

What mine did was randomly boot. It would take up to 30 tries sometimes, but eventualy it would POST and I would be able to get into the BIOS setup. So thats what I suggest doing, keep trying to boot, if you get in, go into the BIOS and check over EVERY setting.

I wish I could give you a more formal solution than trying to boot it for an hour, but I highly suggest getting the PCI card I talked about earlier.

oh and can you tell me what kind of graphics card you have? Is it PCI or AGP?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:12 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Even after reseating everything, I'm not ready to rule out a grouding issue. It could have been reseated incorrectly.

Try firing up the mobo from outside of your case to rule that out completely. If it works, when putting it into your case, check your standoffs and make sure there isn't one hitting the motherboard where no hole exists. Double check the screws as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:11 am 

Had the exact same problem in May with a new system I built in Jan. Disconnected everything(including front panel headers) except ram & CPU(P4). Fans were running. Turned out to be the new Intel 675PBZ mobo. Replaced by the supplier (Monarch)under warranty.

D. Weaver