Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Can not access internet after a day or 2?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:08 am 

I am loosing my internet connection when I leave my computer over night. If I re-boot all is well, till the next day.
Also sometimes my, power settings are not shutting down my monitor and hd, I have them set for an hour.
I've ran Norton AV, Adware and Spybot, no bugs.
Now another strange thing, is ZA is blocking Messenger all the time! I don't load it(knowingly) on startup but it gets loaded and I do have ZA block it, simply I don't use it. But log shows it gets blocked 80-600 times a day! Not sure if its related....
Another strange thing, if I turn off ZA, I still cant get on the internet???
Any ideas?
Thanks
Denbeau

My specs;
Abit KR7-133R(no Raid setup)
512 mb ram
Athlon 2400 XP
(3) 60 gb hds
Radion 8500
Win XP Home, ZoneAlarm
Cable motum & Linksys router(wired)

Post subject: Re: Can not access internet after a day or 2?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:25 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Denbeau wrote:
Now another strange thing, is ZA is blocking Messenger all the time! I don't load it(knowingly) on startup but it gets loaded and I do have ZA block it, simply I don't use it. But log shows it gets blocked 80-600 times a day! Not sure if its related...

It may be trying to check for updates and that's why it's hitting your FW so much. You have it trapped in a box. You could go into it's settings and uncheck "automatically check for updates".

I'll try and deal with this first as today I'm battling my own MSN messenger battle after it's really effected me and my gaming pal this last few days. First, if you don't use it, uninstall it using the add/remove programs in the control panel. Upon doing that, go into c: program files and delete "MSN Messenger" and "Messenger" folders. Empty recycle bin. Go into start->run->msconfig and hit enter. Go over to the startup tab and uncheck "msmsgs" and "msnmsgr". Reboot and verify they are in fact not running by hitting CNT-ALT-DEL and looking at the processes list.
-----------------
I have no idea what is up, but there certainly is something odd! I'll be posting my own thread tomarrow once I play with it some more. It may have nothing to do with your internet connection being lost, but I'd get rid of them for sure if you don't ever use it. But here's the intro: I've been using msn messenger 6.2 for a long time now. I've also been completely up to date with all my windows updates and had ZERO updates to DL and install. Well, last week I visited and one of them was MSN Messenger 4.7. Long story short, I have no idea why there's two or why update now thinks 4.7 is newer than 6.2, but they are confusing me and both are trying to run indepentant. It's not on the list if I totally erase it like I the maner I informed you. You didn't need to know this, did you:p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:10 am 

Check the power save setting for the network card. Open the properties for the network card in the Device Manager and then go to the tab that says Power Management. The first option here says "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power", uncheck it.

I've seen cases where this is turned on and then when the computer wakes up the network card stays asleep making a reboot necessary.

Post subject: Router issue?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:32 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Do you have a router? If so it might be the router. I had the same problem 6 months ago. Not a new one and all is dandy. If you do test by taking pc off router and putting in modem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:55 am 

Bithead, I tried that already, it is unchecked.

Yes a router, but the 2 other computer I have on that router work fine!
Should I try it anyway?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:09 am 

OK. Do you have multiple computers on the network? If so, can you ping them? Can you ping outside the network? Can you ping the router?
Can you ping the ISP?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:45 am 

Yes 3 total, only have a problem with 1 of them.
How do I ping them?
Should i try it when the problem is occuring?
Thanks
Denbeau

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:05 am 

When the problem happens, you have no internet access, open a command prompt by clicking Start -> Run. At the prompt type:

ping <ip address of another computer on your network>

or

ping www.yahoo.com

or

ping <ip address of your router>

or

ping 127.0.0.1 <this one pings your own network card>

In order to find the ip address of the other computers on your network type ipconfig /all at the command prompt on one of the other computers (assuming they are windows XP). If they are windows 98, type winipconfig.

In order to find the address of your router, type ipconfig /all on your pc the router address will be the Default Gateway. In this listing you will also see a line called DNS Servers. Write down these IP addresses. Try pinging them.

The results you get from the ping tests can mean different things. If the ping 127.0.0.1 comes back unsuccessful then there is most likely a hardware problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:39 am 

Quick suggestion:

Before you leave your computer for the night, open a command prompt and type IPCONFIG <enter>

Look for the line that says "Default Gateway"

Now type PING <what the default gateway is> -t

For example, my default gateway is 192.168.0.1, so I'd type
PING 192.168.0.1 -t

This will ping your gateway all night. When you wake up, see if its still pinging and responding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:42 am 
Team Member
Team Member

BitHead wrote:
When the problem happens, you have no internet access, open a command prompt by clicking Start -> Run. At the prompt type:

ping <ip address of another computer on your network>

or

ping www.yahoo.com

or

ping <ip address of your router>

or

ping 127.0.0.1 <this one pings your own network card>

In order to find the ip address of the other computers on your network type ipconfig /all at the command prompt on one of the other computers (assuming they are windows XP). If they are windows 98, type winipconfig.

In order to find the address of your router, type ipconfig /all on your pc the router address will be the Default Gateway. In this listing you will also see a line called DNS Servers. Write down these IP addresses. Try pinging them.

The results you get from the ping tests can mean different things. If the ping 127.0.0.1 comes back unsuccessful then there is most likely a hardware problem.

run these command from the command prompt, or the window will close right away.

go Start > Run > then enter "cmd" (without the quotes, of course)

once you're in the command window, type in the commands like BitHead says.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:36 pm 

Ok I'll try that stuff, but I have tryed the
IPconfig before and I get a quick dos window, then it closes, so I've never been able to see the results...??
Thanks
Denbeau

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:06 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Denbeau wrote:
Ok I'll try that stuff, but I have tryed the
IPconfig before and I get a quick dos window, then it closes, so I've never been able to see the results...??
Thanks
Denbeau

that's why you need to use the command window!

Start > Run > cmd

then you can type in the commands at the prompt like you would in the Run dialog.

I tried to say that above...
:D

Post subject: Re: Can not access internet after a day or 2?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:56 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Denbeau wrote:
I am loosing my internet connection when I leave my computer over night. If I re-boot all is well, till the next day.
Also sometimes my, power settings are not shutting down my monitor and hd, I have them set for an hour.
I've ran Norton AV, Adware and Spybot, no bugs.
Now another strange thing, is ZA is blocking Messenger all the time! I don't load it(knowingly) on startup but it gets loaded and I do have ZA block it, simply I don't use it. But log shows it gets blocked 80-600 times a day! Not sure if its related....
Another strange thing, if I turn off ZA, I still cant get on the internet???
Any ideas?
Thanks
Denbeau

My specs;
Abit KR7-133R(no Raid setup)
512 mb ram
Athlon 2400 XP
(3) 60 gb hds
Radion 8500
Win XP Home, ZoneAlarm
Cable motum & Linksys router(wired)

Is this MSN Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, or the Messenger service on your computer? If it is the messenger service you can turn it off without any concerns. It is nothing more than a way for a server to send private messages across a network.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:18 am 

Messenger should be shut down now, I need to wait as see if the problem happens again, some times a day or 2.

Deject, thanks for spelling it out I'll work on it ands see what I get.

Thanks
Denbeau

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:41 pm 

Ok
I cannot ping any other computers. Cannot ping router.
Ipconfig comes up with
ip address 169.254.185.0
submask 255.255.0.0
It should be 192.186.1.100
I'm convinced it is not Messinger or ZA.
OK what next?
Thanks
Denbeau

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:49 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Denbeau wrote:
Ok
I cannot ping any other computers. Cannot ping router.
Ipconfig comes up with
ip address 169.254.185.0
submask 255.255.0.0
It should be 192.186.1.100
I'm convinced it is not Messinger or ZA.
OK what next?
Thanks
Denbeau

Does a feeback loop work? Try pinging 127.0.0.1 which will have the card ping itself. This is a good way to see if the chip on the card is still alive.

You can try a different Network card in the PC. Take the router to another computer with a NIC (network card) and see if you can ping it from there. Do you know the IP address for the router?

Go into Network Connections in the Control Panel and you can change your IP address and other related information by right clicking on the network connection you want to change and selecting properties. Then Double click on TCP/IP to change the settings there. You will most likely need admin rights to do this so make sure you are in the correct account.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:48 pm 

Looks like you're getting the internal DHCP address that Windows assigns when it can't contact a real DHCP server.

Try what Baldeagle said. It could be the card's drivers... Try finding an updated driver for it. At the very least, go to device manager, find the card, uninstall it and reboot - it should reload drivers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 3:31 am 

Ok I'll work on it over the weekend.
If the router was bad wouldnt it effect the other computers?
I can ping the router for them.
Would it make any sence to switch cables from the router?

thanks guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 1:35 pm 

Pinged nic card(127.0.0.1), no problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:10 am 

h
Code:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,9548698~mode=flat