Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: PackNPlay
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:19 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I know the "briefcase PC" Isn't all that new or original... But This is a mod born out of need... I'm traveling Allot for work by Air. And I'm sick of not being able to game when I'm not home, and giving up the performance of my desktop for a crappy company Laptop... So hopefully I can give this old Idea a new life and in the process keep you all interested in it.

The goal with this mod was to pack the most computing power that I can afford into a package that can be carried onto a domestic airline flight... Total cost must be less then a comparable laptop :)

To make this goal I needed a case that fits within the 45 linear inches (9 inches by 14 inches by 22 inches) that most domestic air carriers allow as a carry on. It also means that the case and hardware installation must be rugged. There will also be a space limitation that will be looked at when choosing parts for this build.

I started off the build by hitting E-bay for a suitable case...$26 later I found this Gem.
Outside View:

Inside View:
With the foam liners removed...

Now comes the Start of the Hardware...
PSU and Video Card... A nice Start.

I'll be using a Micro ATX Motherboard those are 9.6"x9.6" So I need to see how I can lay out the hardware and leave that much space free..

Is there enough free space????

Next Post the Base plate... For a good foundation.

CrazyBillyBob

Last edited by Crazybillybob on Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:46 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

The Baseplate for the Rig is 1/8" Aluminum.. A Nice solid non-flexible base.
A paper template of the case was made. This template was then Transfered onto a larger plate of Aluminum..

After a brief run in with my Jig saw and a quick clean with some sand paper (to knock the sharp edges from the cut edges)
The Base Plate was ready for a test fit.

Perfect!!!

I've ordered the Mother board it's a GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H AMD AM2. It should be there when I get home this weekend so I can see for sure if I have enough space (not real worried about it not fitting). I'll also re-make the PSU mounting Bracket..I made it once but ended up putting the mounting tab on the top instead of the bottom...oops :) (pics to come).

As I'm traveling allot I'm limited in the amount of time I've got to work on this mod... But I've got a good incentive to get it done quickly!! (GAME TIME!!!)

Till Next Time,
CrazyBillyBob

Last edited by Crazybillybob on Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:36 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

nice, this will be interesting to see. I look forward to the updates when you can get around to them.

What are you planning on doing for a monitor?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:42 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Thats a big power supply you are stuffing in there. Have you considered your different cooling options? It would be amazing if you did a watercooling loop, but it would be interesting to keep it from leaking. Just something to think about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:50 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Piddlewog wrote:
Thats a big power supply you are stuffing in there. Have you considered your different cooling options? It would be amazing if you did a watercooling loop, but it would be interesting to keep it from leaking. Just something to think about.

He can't fly with that. They wouldn't let him on the plane.

Heck, I would already be worried that they might think this was some kinda bomb.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:59 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Massimo wrote:
Piddlewog wrote:

He can't fly with that. They wouldn't let him on the plane.

Heck, I would already be worried that they might think this was some kinda bomb.

I'd be surprised if they even let him on the plane with the case as is with no watercooling. If they even ask him to open it, he's done. They could care less if it's a computer or not, their excuse would be that he could be writing up plane diagrams for the bad guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:04 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Ya, I'm not sure why he want to make it a carry on.

They should let him take it, but he will probably have to turn it on for them and prove it functions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:15 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I'm planning on building a LCD monitor into the top of the case, behind some plexi to keep it safe.

As for the need to carry on... Have you seen the way they handle checked baggage??? It wouldn't last 2-3 trips checked. Based on all the rules that I've been able to find there is no legal reason for them to keep me from carrying it on board the plane. I may have to prove that it works, but shouldn't be an issue. As much as I'd like to do water cooling, that will not happen, the weight of the water would be more then I want to add... I've gotta carry this thing through the terminals.

Yes, the PSU is abit of over kill for this setup... But it's what I've got and it will run any thing that I might need to add...cooling lighting etc.

Look forward for more updates soon...got some pics I need to edit and upload.

CrazyBillyBob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:14 am 
Team Member
Team Member

The most vulnerable piece of hardware that would need to protect if you checked this thing would be the HDD. Maybe the LCD as well, but the HDD is much more likely to break.

If you can isolate, insulate, and vibration dampen the HDD, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't handle being checked fine.

www.miltope.com

Thats the company I work for and we specialize in computers that get abused. Trust me, if you can isolate the HDD, everything else should work fine. You may need to locktite screws in and ensure that your expansion slot cards and ram don't bounce loose (better yet, keep the cards and ram in their own little pouches and plug them in when you get there, less stress that way, probably better overall actually), you should be fine.

Water cooling is a no-no. I don't care that you can prove to them it works, If you have more then 3oz of liquid in the system and the system isn't in a ziplock baggy, they won't let you through security with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:38 am 

Massimo wrote:
The most vulnerable piece of hardware that would need to protect if you checked this thing would be the HDD. Maybe the LCD as well, but the HDD is much more likely to break.

If you can isolate, insulate, and vibration dampen the HDD, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't handle being checked fine.

www.miltope.com

Thats the company I work for and we specialize in computers that get abused. Trust me, if you can isolate the HDD, everything else should work fine. You may need to locktite screws in and ensure that your expansion slot cards and ram don't bounce loose (better yet, keep the cards and ram in their own little pouches and plug them in when you get there, less stress that way, probably better overall actually), you should be fine.

Water cooling is a no-no. I don't care that you can prove to them it works, If you have more then 3oz of liquid in the system and the system isn't in a ziplock baggy, they won't let you through security with it.

Or just get Super Talent's SATA25 128GB solid-state hard drive for the low, low price of $4000.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:11 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Mikhial66 wrote:
Massimo wrote:
Or just get Super Talent's SATA25 128GB solid-state hard drive for the low, low price of $4000.

What The F*CK!!? :shock: Are you freakin nuts!? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:18 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Ditch the water-cooling idea. The Airport won't let you bring any liquids regardless of what it is.

Try to keep the whole thing less than 10 pounds or they won't let you take your precious pc.

By the way, how are you planning to power this? There's not alot of plugs on the plane, unless it's a Private jet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:44 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

from what i understand he isn't planning on using it on the plane, but just wants to carry it with him (as a carry on) to protect it from the baggage handlers.

I still say that as long as he isolates and suspends the HDD you could throw the thing off a 10 story building and it would work. (yes, slightly exaggerated, but you could do it with a little forethought)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:09 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I'm planning on "Shock" Mounting the HDD. I used some 1/8" think Rubber mat for the HDD mounts in R2Srv, and he was driving 10-15MPH over everything while the HDD was running.... no issues so far.
But If anyone has a better (or neat) mounting Idea for the HDD let me know.

As for the GPU, well I think I'm going to get a flexible PCIE riser so I can mount the card Horizontally On a shock mount. As for the Ram, I've not had much issue with it, if the Mobo is mounted securely and you don't have a crazy sized Heatsink on the Ram, there shouldn't be to much force on it.

No this is not for use on the plane, the plane is just a transporter.

As for the 10Lb limit...Where did that come from??? Baggage limit of carry on is 40Lb on most USA air carriers. As long as I keep it less then that I should be good.

CrazyBillyBob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:38 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Crazybillybob wrote:
I'm planning on "Shock" Mounting the HDD. I used some 1/8" think Rubber mat for the HDD mounts in R2Srv, and he was driving 10-15MPH over everything while the HDD was running.... no issues so far.
But If anyone has a better (or neat) mounting Idea for the HDD let me know.

As for the GPU, well I think I'm going to get a flexible PCIE riser so I can mount the card Horizontally On a shock mount. As for the Ram, I've not had much issue with it, if the Mobo is mounted securely and you don't have a crazy sized Heatsink on the Ram, there shouldn't be to much force on it.

No this is not for use on the plane, the plane is just a transporter.

As for the 10Lb limit...Where did that come from??? Baggage limit of carry on is 40Lb on most USA air carriers. As long as I keep it less then that I should be good.

CrazyBillyBob

40lbs? No way. Last time I flew domestic with a large group of friends for a week long trip we had issues because someones CHECKED bag was over 50lbs. The airline wanted to charge extra for it. We had to move his stuff into other peoples bags to get it under the limit. There is no way they would let a 40lb carry on through.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:33 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Here's a Quote from a NWA boarding pass jacket (Delta's Jacket reads differently but has the same rules)
Quote:
Carry-On Luggage
-Must fit under the seat or in an overhead compartment.
-Maximum size is 45 in. (9"x14"x22") or 115cm (25x35x55)
-Maximum weight is 40 lbs. (18kg)
-Maximum 1 piece per passenger plus a purse or briefcase or laptop case.

Based on that ... I'm covered (I fly mostly NWA, but most of the others have the same policy.)

CrazyBillyBob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:35 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

SO, Other then Shoveling snow I didn't get much done this weekend...
But I did drop the Mobo into the case to see how it would fit.

I'm thinking now that I'm going to try moving some of the parts around and see if the wiring gets easier.

The other thing I found was the perfect Keyboard. It fits in the case with a bit of room to spare on each side. The Keys are a bit tight but I've been using a laptop for so long that I have problems typing on regular Keyboard so it's perfect fit for me.

Now I said before that I made up 1 PSU mount but found that I had put the mounting tab on the wrong side... Well here it is

It's upside down, but turned out looking good. I'm hoping to get a new one made up and get a bit more time to work some of the details out.

Happy Holidays Everyone!!!

CrazyBillyBob

Last edited by Crazybillybob on Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:41 pm 

Hey im trying to do the same thing, as in pack the whole deal into an attache-case, including LCD, keyboard+mouse etc... everything should be ready to just plug in and switch on.

Only, im looking to accomodate a full size ATX, and a GeForce 8800 GTX...

Any help?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:39 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

kingIZZZY wrote:
Hey im trying to do the same thing, as in pack the whole deal into an attache-case, including LCD, keyboard+mouse etc... everything should be ready to just plug in and switch on.

Only, im looking to accomodate a full size ATX, and a GeForce 8800 GTX...

Any help?

You better have a BIG attache case!!!
The big thing is get a PCIE riser with a flex connection or a 90deg PCIE riser, so you can mount the Video card horizontal that way your case doesn't need to be as thick. The other thing, find the smallest PSU you can (physically. you'll need a good many watts for that setup), mine is way over kill but I couldn't beat the cost!!! (freeish). Good Luck think small thoughts.

CrazYBillyBob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:42 pm 

And then what? do i just make holes and screw everything into the case? how did you do it? and did you manage to integrate a LCD aswell?

I cant seem to find these carry-on (attache-)cases online. What are they called? what category on ebay is it in?

Last edited by kingIZZZY on Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.