Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: I need expert advice.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:00 pm 
BANNED
BANNED

I've got bargain bin ram, (Infineon pc3200). As a result I've had very limited sucess overclocking. I've got it to 3.01ghz up from 2.8. Unfortunatly its proven to be stable except in half life 2 which I think crashes anyway if my bios fsb clock is set to manual overclocked or not. Anyway I'm thinking of adding some specialty ram. Is it possible to buy ram that will fit 184pin ddrsdram slots that will run at higher clocks. To be more specific is that pc4000 ram good for pc3200 slots? Does it mean it can be pushed to 4000mbs bandwith with stability? I think my processor would go to 3.2ghz and beyond with better ram (i dont want to try pc3200 though). Also if I did add more RAM would it allow higher cpu overclocks? Or is there something im missing. Okay last question would a water cooler on the processor offer superior cooling for an overclocked p4? Would a midrange water cooler be much better then fan cooling?

Thanks for any help, i didnt write very well because im feeling sick :-(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:54 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

PC4000 DDR will fit. Those aren't 'PC3200 slots' they're DDR slots.

Slinky The WizKid wrote:
Also if I did add more RAM would it allow higher cpu overclocks? Or is there something im missing.

Adding more PC3200 will not help your overclocking. In fact, it will most likely hinder it. When it comes to OCing, the less sticks you use the better your chances.

Swapping PC3200 for PC4000, however, should help anywhere from a little bit to quite a bit. Your ECS motherboard is going to be a hinderance both in the maximum OC achieavable and remaining stable, but you have the right idea in upgrading the RAM first.

And on a side note, hope you feel better soon.