Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:24 pm 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

Well guys, there is no X11 directory in /ect. There is also no library for "locate", so it's defunct.

I don't know what to do from here. Am I supposed to be typing in that extra stuff after " # bare.i root=/dev/hdc2 "? The boot screen says to add in some other garbage that I don't know what it means.

Thanks again,
Dan O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:48 pm 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

Well, I'll be damned. Instead of typing "dir" while in /ect I typed "cd /x11" and what do you know, the little bastard poped up!

So, I got to the file. Now, how the hell do I edit it?

Dan O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:51 pm 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

Nevermind, I'm in!

Yeah, I did a little chatting at the Delphi forums, found out about vi, and once I wrestled with the thing forever I went back and they told my how to save and exit in vi. Then it was just a matter of getting my damn cases right. (nvidia, not Nvidia, damnit!)

Well, this is so cool. So far everything is working, well, my mouse wheel doesn't work, but it's a Microsoft USB mouse so I hold little hope for that.

I'm just glad to finally be in. I'm off to test this baby out! :P

Sweet,
Dan O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:37 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Belboz99 wrote:
Well guys, there is no X11 directory in /ect. There is also no library for "locate", so it's defunct.

I don't know what to do from here. Am I supposed to be typing in that extra stuff after " # bare.i root=/dev/hdc2 "? The boot screen says to add in some other garbage that I don't know what it means.

Thanks again,
Dan O.

so your still booting off the CD?
have you tried to setup lilo yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:21 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

Jawa78 wrote:
probably not...

you can do it easily this way.

go into one of the folders as there should not be too many and go installpkg *.tgz

And how long will he be waiting? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:22 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

Belboz99 wrote:
Nevermind, I'm in!

Yeah, I did a little chatting at the Delphi forums, found out about vi, and once I wrestled with the thing forever I went back and they told my how to save and exit in vi. Then it was just a matter of getting my damn cases right. (nvidia, not Nvidia, damnit!)

Well, this is so cool. So far everything is working, well, my mouse wheel doesn't work, but it's a Microsoft USB mouse so I hold little hope for that.

I'm just glad to finally be in. I'm off to test this baby out! :P

Sweet,
Dan O.

Your mousewheel should work - you'll have to set it up though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:01 am 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

Hey all.

I don't know what happened, but somewhere between the time I shut it down last night and the time I booted it this morning something went awry. I had to completely redo the whole thing. The good news is that I was able to do it all from memory, so it only took about an hour, with formatting and installing taking 90% of the time.

Somehow the whole drive became corrupted. I tried using e2fdsk, or however you spell it. I ran it with the suggested conditioners, and it ran fine, but the system would not go into the GUI.

But I'm back now. I do want to know though, how I may have caused that so I can prevent it from happening in the future.

Well, the only other thing that's bothering me right now is the lack of a bootloader and sound.

I did configure lilo mannualy, and it seemed to go OK while I was in setup. It didn't give me any errors or anything. But when I rebooted it went to Windows again. Somehow I've got to get that fixed, I can't keep on booting from a CD.

Also, I'm using the soundstorm chip on my Abit NF7-S mobo for sound, but there is no sound in Slackware. Any help with that would be much appreciated.

Thanks again!
Dan O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:43 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Belboz99 wrote:
Hey all.

I don't know what happened, but somewhere between the time I shut it down last night and the time I booted it this morning something went awry. I had to completely redo the whole thing. The good news is that I was able to do it all from memory, so it only took about an hour, with formatting and installing taking 90% of the time.

Somehow the whole drive became corrupted. I tried using e2fdsk, or however you spell it. I ran it with the suggested conditioners, and it ran fine, but the system would not go into the GUI.

But I'm back now. I do want to know though, how I may have caused that so I can prevent it from happening in the future.

Well, the only other thing that's bothering me right now is the lack of a bootloader and sound.

I did configure lilo mannualy, and it seemed to go OK while I was in setup. It didn't give me any errors or anything. But when I rebooted it went to Windows again. Somehow I've got to get that fixed, I can't keep on booting from a CD.

Also, I'm using the soundstorm chip on my Abit NF7-S mobo for sound, but there is no sound in Slackware. Any help with that would be much appreciated.

Thanks again!
Dan O.

=====my lilo.conf======
lba32 # Allow booting past 1024th cylinder with a recent BIOS
boot = /dev/hdc #this means the mbr of hdc
# boot = /dev/hdc1 will put it in the partian boot instead
#which means any boot manager in the MBR superseds this
prompt
timeout = 1200
vga = normal
# Linux bootable partition config begins
image = /boot/vmlinuz
root = /dev/hda3
label = Linux
read-only
image = /boot/02042600
root = /dev/hda3
label = 2.4.26.00
read-only
# boot 2k
other = /dev/hda1
label 2K
table = /dev/hda

far as sound gboes you may just need to load the module for it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:45 am 
Forum's 3dfx Zealot
Forum's 3dfx Zealot

ok you are thinking way to hard

slackware should be installed and configured in no more than 20 minutes

when doing liloconfig have it right to the mbr.... it is safe in the fact that if things go bad you can boot from windows cd and fix the mbr.

sound alsa automaticly mutes on some sound cards might be just an issue of the sound driver being muted check aumix. also make sure there is a alsa driver or an oss driver fro the card or slack will not pick it up be default.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:14 am 
iron colbinator
iron colbinator

Belboz99 wrote:

You'll probably need to get the NForce Motherboard drivers from nvidia's site, sort of like you did with the video drivers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:14 am 
iron colbinator
iron colbinator

Jawa78 wrote:
ok you are thinking way to hard

slackware should be installed and configured in no more than 20 minutes

It's a little different when you're doing everything for the first time...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:20 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

colby wrote:
It's a little different when you're doing everything for the first time...

Ah...the memories... :lol:

I'm sorry I ever bought that Caldera set :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:17 am 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

Okay, a little followup...

The reason it took about an hour reinstalling Slackware was because it took about a half hour to do the slow format. I really fubared my file system by pressing the power switch without shutting down. BTW, how do you shut down? I found the command "shutdown" but it kept on giving me usage terms.

Okay, so I found out why the sound wasn't working. Turns out that my mixer was turned all the way down. Yesterday I found a way to do it permanently by first using "alsamixer" and then using "alsactl store" to save the mixer settings.

I did set Lilo to be put in the MBR, and it now runs great. I can finnaly dual boot.

As for the wheel, well, that's my current project. I have learned that I need to get Linux to think I've got a 5 button mouse, because the other two buttons will be the scroll up and scroll down. I also need to configure Linux to use the mouse, somehow by telling it to use the Z-axis.

Thanks for all the help,
Dan O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:07 am 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

Hey all. I got my mouse wheel working!

Yeah, all I did was google the three words "mouse wheel Linux" and it came up with a Linux users forum where there was a sticky thread on that topic. So, I changed a few and added a few lines in xorg.conf. At first X wouldn't boot, but then I realized that when they told me to rename the device from "Mouse1" to "USB Mouse" they failed to mention that the layout section uses the device, so it was confused, looking for Mouse1 when it didn't exist. So, I simply told Layout to use the device "USB Mouse" instead.

I think I'm getting better at this!

I used to mess with config.sys back in the old days with DOS and OS/2 Warp, when I had Win 3.1 running on OS/2. Those were the days...

Well, now that I've got everything major covered, it would be nice to get my two scanners up in operation under Linux. One is a SCSI Minolta Scan Dual (a 35mm film scanner), the other is a USB Epson 2450 (a quite professional flatbed). I use them with Vuescan, which is running, quite often. I've gotten quite a bit of buisness over the summer scanning old photos. I also scan my own 35mm film using the Scan Dual.

Anyway, thanks again!

Dan O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:26 am 
iron colbinator
iron colbinator

Belboz99 wrote:
The reason it took about an hour reinstalling Slackware was because it took about a half hour to do the slow format. I really fubared my file system by pressing the power switch without shutting down. BTW, how do you shut down? I found the command "shutdown" but it kept on giving me usage terms.

To shut down, try: shutdown -h now
To reboot, try: shutdown -r now

To get more info about the shutdown command, use man shutdown or shutdown --help (sometimes the help is a lot easier to read than the man page, but it depends on what you're interested in -- sometimes the man page has examples).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:24 am 
Forum's 3dfx Zealot
Forum's 3dfx Zealot

colby wrote:
Belboz99 wrote:

To shut down, try: shutdown -h now
To reboot, try: shutdown -r now

To get more info about the shutdown command, use man shutdown or shutdown --help (sometimes the help is a lot easier to read than the man page, but it depends on what you're interested in -- sometimes the man page has examples).

Or it works backwards too this is how i usually do it

shutdown now -r
shutdown now -h

I think now I am going to go back to configure on of my new favorite wm XFCE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:44 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

Adding one small thing to Colby's reply, some of the commands also have info pages that tend to be longer with more examples than the man pages.