Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Vid Card Overheating?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:04 pm 

After reading the August issue of MaxPC, I have recently stumbled across one of the problems they outline in their ULTIMATE TROUBLE-SHOOTING GUIDE.

I have a GeForce 4400Ti and its been in use for over 2 years since its initial release in my PC. When I play a game it will randomly crash back to the desktop and when a 3D app of any type is running, the fan on the vid card squeels with a high pitch sound. I checked the fan and it is a little wobbly.

It seems to be a heat issue, as I have ruled out all the other factors stated in the ULTIMATE TROUBLE-SHOOTING GUIDE (drivers for both hardware and software are up to date).

I need some advice if I should go ahead and save up to wait for some of the next gen budget cards? Or should I get a PCI Fan like the Vantec Spectrum PCI Fan Card?

Thanx in advance for the help. :D
P.S. My fisrt post on these new boards, which btw, RULE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:12 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

hmmm seems to me that the problem is gonna get worse since the fan on the videocard is wobbly and it might fall soon. you can get a good budget card like the ATI radeon 9600XT or something. if you got 200bucks to shell out, you can get an ATI radeon 9800 pro since the prices of them are falling and they are now affordable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:43 pm 

is there any way I can fix my fan or use thermal paste and attach a new one? I would like to extend the life of my card for at least until the end of this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:38 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Bob wrote:
is there any way I can fix my fan or use thermal paste and attach a new one? I would like to extend the life of my card for at least until the end of this year.

If you can get your fan/featsink off, then you can just replace it, as there are a lot of aftermarket fan/heatsink combos out there. A good place to look is any of the case modder sites, they generally have a lot of the aftermarket stuff.

However, if your heatsink is attached to the GPU with thermal epoxy, then your options are very limited. I personally have a Radeon 8500 whose fan died unexpectedly. My HSF is attached with thermal epoxy so I can't remove it. What I am doing until I can afford a new card is remove the fan (just the fan NOT the heatsink) and attach an old CPU fan for like a K6 or something that kind of screwed into place. It also helps that my case has 2 fans right over the add-in card area, so it already gets plenty of fresh air.

Still, once the fan dies, your card is suspect. You'll probably start to see more graphical glitches and artifacts (like I do sometimes, especially in 3dMark01) along with the slowdowns and crashes. A card wit h a dead fan really needs to be replaced.