It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:55 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

Hiya Folks

This is addressed to everyone.

As I sit here avoiding writing my thesis, I am writing a web page for newbies on "providing information for free tech support". Like for the free clinic.

It has come up in this thread (joke or no) that at times folks may be worried about things being stolen. Coincidently, I was just writing the newbie section on "What one should NOT post" - like IP addy's.

Please keep in mind that when you post something here (or in any general forum), the entire world can see it and possibly even google it (depending on the BB type and setup). Even folks that are not members of the Forum.

That said - I doubt this is really an issue when it comes to modding. I have myself avoided posting certain drawings, but thats more because they are actually drawings for parts to mod with. I have openly shown draws and pics of mod plans and mods in progress (like rocket-mod) at commport. I was fully aware that someone might copy my idea (and someone did but I think they came up with it on thier own) and I did not care. After all - no-one can copy my exact idea from a hand drawing and a few pics of a bondo blob in progress. And, what is the fun if I can't share my ideas. Half of them will never get done anyway. At least not by me.

Just a general warning for the paranoid:)

I would advise that if you have a neat idea that would be really cheap and easy to knock off, you keep it to yourself until it becomes a finished product. Like casting little alien heads in glow in the dark resin:)

Manta

Last edited by MantaBase on Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:59 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

MantaBase wrote:
Like casting little alien head in glow in the dark resin:)
Manta

Tartar sauce, you stole my idea! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:52 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

One4yu2c wrote:
MantaBase wrote:
Manta

I thought yours was the trucker mud-flap chick window mod - or was that BiggPA?

:lol:

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:15 am 
Willamette
Willamette

MantaBase wrote:
One4yu2c wrote:
MantaBase wrote:
Manta

Manta

no mods here...i dont have the tools to do it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:17 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

BiggPa wrote:
MantaBase wrote:
One4yu2c wrote:
MantaBase wrote:
Manta

Manta

no mods here...i dont have the tools to do it

I was Joshin' any ways :)

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:41 pm 

well said manta. Even if somebody "steals" an idea, that is what a lot of modding is based on. Many people modify ideas they've seen or read about or heard of. The intention of asking for the idea or artwork to be posted was to help carry out the idea with input from modders with experience and knowledge of techniques and skills. This is what keeps the whole community going, is the sharing of ideas. If you post something and it is copied, so what. People have been copying the great masters in art for centuries. I would hope to build something or have an idea that somebody would take or use or improve on because that means you have influenced them. Then you can say, hey he copied my idea, wow look at how they mounted that, or carried that out. I never thought of that. then you can take those ideas and make yours even better.

I also take issue with a view posted that a modded rig has to be awesome on the inside to be considered good. Personally I'd rather see something outrageous, like a mini fridge kegerator with a duron 950, 256 PC133 ram and onboard graphics that is meant for playing music at parties, with laser lights and a fog machine timed to the music, than to see a "modded" computer that is bleeding edge technology and a case window and a custom paint job that was paid for. It's not that I don't like latest and greatest technology, it's always cool to compare benchmarks, and gamers can always use something faster, but that's not what modding is about, it's about modifying not about who has the most money or speed, although money usually helps.

Ok sorry to get all preachy. Way to introduce myself I guess, lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:28 pm 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

amc360 wrote:
well said manta. Even if somebody "steals" an idea, that is what a lot of modding is based on.

Well said yerself and welcome to the MPC Forum.

Modding is about being creative. Once in a while a very original idea may have to be persued in a quiet manner, but in general, (at least for now) we are in the "what technique should I use to do this" stage of the art. The simple fact is I have niether the time or desire to "rip off" an idea wholesale (ignoring the fact that I am not like that any way). And, folks like that are short lived one trick ponies IMO.

Still, its important for folks to know that posting in a forum is like making a public web page. Its there for all to see.

Again, Welcome

Manta