Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: cable modem diagnostics, help
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:12 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

ok i went to 192.168.100.1 in my browser to see how my modem is performing and these are the results, please let me know if these are good and what not, im paying for comcast 8mb cable connection and have the RCA modem. All input is very appreciated, thanks in advance.

The SNR and Recieved Signal Strength varies slightly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:40 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

My connection is running as advertised and this is what mine says. I'm also connected using the USB port rather than ethernet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:25 am 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

Do the numbers look good? Yes. However what you are looking at is things like your modem's signal strength with respect to the cable line. Signal strength and SNR (Signal Noise Ratio) are where you want to lookie and those look fine.

The best way to check things like your bandwidth speeds (up and down) are to use a speed test website like this:

http://www.speedtest.net/

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:24 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

satchboy your stats look way better, 39.4 dB and 5.7 dBmV!!!??!! nice

You guys got any idea on how i can improve this? maybe call comcast? buy my own modem (best i can find) instead of using the rental one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:17 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Satchboy,

Everything I have read you will limit your up and down speed using the usb port and an Nic connection was always advised in the instructions.

Nasty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:39 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Nastyman wrote:
Satchboy,

Everything I have read you will limit your up and down speed using the usb port and an Nic connection was always advised in the instructions.

Nasty

The only reason why I've done this is because the computer that hooks up to the cable modem only has one ethernet port and I need that to network to another computer.

I don't do a lot of downloading that needs to be here right now. I'm still getting 2000+ Kb/s download rates off of dslreports.com. By comparison I was getting 4000+ using the NIC. If I needed the extra speed then I might consider getting a second NIC but I'm happy with how it's setup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:55 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

When I installed cable modems, we had to have at least a signal strength of 0 to complete the install. Sevenz is at -3.1. If your modem is not the first thing connected to the cable as it comes into the house, then I would try and move it closer. The strength will move up and down. The best I have seen was +38.
Now that's cookin' with gas.
The other thing you can try is a two way amp.
Hope this helps. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:14 am 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

Yeah, Satchboy has the better numbers. His post went up while I was screwing around. :lol:

deathstarchris makes a good point. Look at how the cable comes into the house. For an ideal setup the first split should be a two way splitter. That split will drop the signal about 3 db. Half of that first split should run to your cable modem. That puts you down 3 db from the entry.

Next is the cable employed. The newer and better cable used is RG6 which is replacing the older RG59 cable. Both are 75 Ohm coax but the RG6 is popular for the lower signal loss. The more cable run, the greater the loss.

Next for the money, I would look towards a router and run the ethernet port as was mentioned.

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:22 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

My house is very old, lots of very old cable wires and a couple (3-4) very old splitters. So im screwed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:39 pm 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

The overall signal strength could be better but what you have works. The SNR isn't bad considering the actual signal strength. I wouldn't say screwed. Could it be better? Yeah. However, again it works.

You could try a two way amp as was mentioned. That may or may not help. Personally if you can't do much with the wiring I wouldn't worry too much about it. You may want to call your provider. I called (then Adelphia) and they rewired the place and our basement is a dungeon. They replaced all the old RG59 with RG6.

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:55 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Ron makes a good point.
If you call and complain a little, I bet they would come
out and re do the cable for free.
Say something like "everytime it rains my modem won't train up"
Next thing you know you will have brand new RG6.
Just be really nice to the guys. :D
It's no fun running new line and fishing it through walls.
Two way amp only gives you another 5 dBmV tops.

Post subject: Re: cable modem diagnostics, help
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:07 am 

Quote:
http://www.speedtest.net/

There is a similar speed test site called ScanmySpeed.com It helps to check internet speed accurately.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]