Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: What type of cert is better?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:35 pm 

Okay, I know a lot of networking and I want to get certified to show it. However I don't want to take hundreds of tests. Is it more professional to have a Cisco certification vs a CompTia one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:48 am 

They are different.
Cisco stuff is for their (somewhat ubiquitous) equipment.
Comptia offers certs in several fields and none of it is hardware specific.
What kind of IT career are you looking for?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:34 pm 

What do you hope the Certs will do for you?

I have a friend that went a little cert crazy. He has a stack of Comptia certs, an MCSE in Windows 2000 and at least one cisco cert.

He actually has a use/reason for the certs. They did assist him in guiding his studying. His boss was also reimbursing him for the tests. (Provided he passed that is.) He supports a network appliance in enterprise networks so it actually makes some sense for him to have a background in the various things he's studied for the certs.

If you want a general cert, go with the CompTIA one. They are vendor neutral. The Cisco ones are specific to Cisco and are helpful only if you plan on working with their routers and switches.

My advise on certs: study for the cert to learn the material. Do not study to pass the cert. In general certs are good for getting you an interview or maybe helping back up a pay increase. The sad thing about certificates is that in certain circles those who have a cert and know the material are the exceptions rather than the rule.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:19 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Cisco will get you a much higher paying job, but there will be less options available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:22 am 

Simple answer Cisco is a much higher level certification.

Real answer, when it comes to IT certifications. You should always focus on what you are currently working with. I.E. If your company only has Windows 2000 PC's an XP cert means nothing. Having said that Network+ is a vendor neutral certification. When you list Network+ you’re telling a potential employer that you are familiar with Networking concepts, and terminology. It say's nothing about implementation...

The Cisco Certification is the exact opposite. It shows that you understand how Cisco networks work, and that you know how to implement them. It’s less about knowing what a VLAN is and more about the actual commands to do it.

Finally Network+ is a lifelong cert. Any Cisco Cert will have to be renewed every three years. So if you’re not working with Cisco devices it does nothing for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:37 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

from my experiance(CCNA, persueing CCNP), cisco certs arent quite as vendor specific as it sounds. While the cisco track focuses on cisco equipment, a lot of the material is related to advanced networking concepts and techologies in general.

For example, the switching portion for the CCNP covers in detail many universal topics in networking indetail, such as spanning tree, Vlans/trunking, layer three switching, redundancy, etc. The routing portion covers standards based and cisco propietary routing technologies.

Also, if you are able to get to the highest level(at the moment at least), the CCIE is one of if not the most highly regarded certs in the industry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:55 am 

I, for the past 18+ years have been in high speed manufacturing. Worked my way up from the lowest level (assistant machine operator) to Shift Manager. Well, as we all know,,, managements change and it came time for my career to end. I don't need to go into the details - let's just say it is hard to get a job out there in Manufacturing Management. I am studying now for the A+ (CompTIA) certification. If any of you could give me some guidance or some idea of what to expect with a certification of this sort, please let me know. I am always interested in learning more. If there is some other certification or recomendation you may have regarding changing careers, please let me know. I really have no idea what the certification may do (as far as providing income) or what doors this may open for me with my past work experience. Maybe you folks could shed some light on this for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:11 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

well...

Cisco= more$$ Beter Job

network+= easy and wont make u to much money...

what im doing right now is taking CISCO CCNA and before i write my cisco exam im going to take a week of from cisco and read the net+ book then go write the net+ exam ... CompTIA net+ is very easy to do and does not carry alot of weight but its a extra peice of paper that im going to have to make me more marketable...

so try and get the cisco and the comptia net+ ... thats the good option :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:24 am 

get both...they will increase your chances of getting a job....and more pay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:45 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

I'm my opinion you should get both, but start with the CompTIA ones first! Aside from being cheaper and easier to obtain they will prepare you for future certifications. Most reputable computer companies won't even look at you unless you atleast have your A+, so I'd personally start out with A+ then perhaps Network+ and Linux+, for example. Once you have a few of the more basic certifications under your belt then you can aim your sights higher.

Cisco certifications are very hard to obtain, in my opinion. Insane amounts of information to retain, specific command lines to remember, tons of studying, and it helps if you have access to the Cisco equipment to practice on as well - which is hella' expensive. The certification exams also require an 85% passing mark, if I recall, so the bar is set pretty high. Be prepared to set aside atleast a year in preparing for a Cisco certification exam.

Having any high-grade certification such as from Cisco or Microsoft will look good on a resume and make you a more useful commodity on the computer job market, but don't try to aim for the big ones right away. Start small and work your way up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:13 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Yeah, pretty much what everyone else has said... Network + is good with more options, but Cisco is better with a much more dedicated path.

sheldon wrote:
what im doing right now is taking CISCO CCNA and before i write my cisco exam im going to take a week of from cisco and read the net+ book then go write the net+ exam ... CompTIA net+ is very easy to do and does not carry alot of weight but its a extra peice of paper that im going to have to make me more marketable...

so try and get the cisco and the comptia net+ ... thats the good option :lol:

Hey, that's a good idea! Keep it up sheldon... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:15 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

X_ArchAngel wrote:
I'm my opinion you should get both, but start with the CompTIA ones first! Aside from being cheaper and easier to obtain they will prepare you for future certifications. Most reputable computer companies won't even look at you unless you atleast have your A+, so I'd personally start out with A+ then perhaps Network+ and Linux+, for example. Once you have a few of the more basic certifications under your belt then you can aim your sights higher.

ArchAngel is right, you need to start yourself on the bottom of the hill and then work up. And number of people that have a advanced cert from Microsoft and others really have no idea how to do anything else than what is inside their narrow field. if you start with the basics first you will find a lot less surprises when you get your first job. And it will be easier for you to get a job, remember its easier to get your foot in the door at ground level than for jobs in the admin level.