Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: dell dimension 3000 (no video)
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:08 am 

I have a dimension 3000 that a friend had given to them.....they are unable to get any video on it so asked me to look at it. I tried different monitor...the onboard vga connector was loose just floating so i tried a pci videocard no luck....i tried resetting cmos jumper swapping ram with known good ram...no luck. I ordered a new motherboard from dell just got it today.....installed it still no luck. The power light comes on but remains a constant amber color....the fan comes on..cd rom drives blink up....but no video. I double checked to make sure all power connectors on motherboard were correct...i also tried a known working power supply....no luck. Also the 4 troubleshooting lights on back do not light up...and i am getting no signal beeps....but the rig does power up.....just no video. If i had an extra CPU chip i would try that in it.....but my other rigs are AMD. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks Leo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:02 am 

Its not sounding good. How long have they had this machine? Under what circumstances did the video stop working?

If you've replaced teh whole motherboard, and still no go, all you've got left is the PSU and the CPU. I would try a diff PSU just for shits and giggles.

In my experience, a dead CPU will exhibit the same symptoms you're experiencing, but they very rarely just up and die on their own.

Also make sure you unplug everything non essential to operation, cdroms, hard drives, pci cards, just run the motherboard, cpu, ram, and psu. If it still doesn't post, you know its one of those 4 things, and since you've already swapped out the ram and motherboard, you can now limit it to the remaining two items.

-M@