Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Comp restarts when cd drive is closed... help
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:27 pm 

All right, I have yet to come up with a reason why my computer does this, and its very very frustrating. Every time I close my dvd-rom with a cd in it, it causes my computer to restart. After loging back into my user account i get one of those stupid "Windows has recovered from a serious error" messages. Yeah... Windows had to cover from closing my cd drive... *rolls eyes* The ultimate in stability.... lol

Anyway, I run WindowsXP home, the drive is connected to an IDE port along with a dvd-rw drive. I dont remember what brand dvd-rom I bought... it was like 9 months ago... If theres any other info you need in order to help me, ask.

btw, the dvd-rw also causes the computer to restart too. Both drives only seem to do this with audio cds...

Post subject: Re: Comp restarts when cd drive is closed... help
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:06 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Aurora900 wrote:
All right, I have yet to come up with a reason why my computer does this, and its very very frustrating. Every time I close my dvd-rom with a cd in it, it causes my computer to restart. After loging back into my user account i get one of those stupid "Windows has recovered from a serious error" messages. Yeah... Windows had to cover from closing my cd drive... *rolls eyes* The ultimate in stability.... lol

Anyway, I run WindowsXP home, the drive is connected to an IDE port along with a dvd-rw drive. I dont remember what brand dvd-rom I bought... it was like 9 months ago... If theres any other info you need in order to help me, ask.

btw, the dvd-rw also causes the computer to restart too. Both drives only seem to do this with audio cds...

i dont konw what would cause that...have you tried a diffrent DVD drive?

what would be a sweat practical joke though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:45 pm 

lol, maybe...

Anyway, i have a dvd-rom and a dvd-rw drive in this computer... both drives do it... its either the IDE controllers in the mobo or something screwy in windows... I just dont know anything past that. I have never seen or heard of this problem before, and let me tell you, I have seen my share of strange problems...

I just wish I could format my drive and reinstall windows to get at least one possibility off the list... but I have a 120gb drive in here and its the largest drive I own... no way I can back the whole thing up. I really think it may just be a flawed windows install... Also, and this is another odd one, whenever I right click on any of the drives (harddrives, removable media drives, everything) in "My Computer" Explorer crashes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:19 pm 

it sounds like a flaw in windows install did you build the computer ur self? well what i would say to do is put in your windows disk restart it and do a windows repair it may come up with the problem?? if not i donno maybe a virius but i doubt it ive never herd of such a thing but then again there is odd stuff out there thats what i would try

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:41 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

i dont know if this will solve the problem but you can try updating the firmware for the drives. try one updating the firmware for one drive first and then see if it works. good luck

Post subject: Try this
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:28 am 
Willamette
Willamette

That is very strange indeed. The Flashing sounds like a good idea as the other guy suggested. What I would try first is...well how much data do you actually have on the PC. You could not have filled up all 120GB could you have? Of the 120 you only have a max of 111 to start with on empty.

My suggestion is buy or borrow a USB or firewire external burner or external HDD and back up your data. Only the stuff you need. I am willing to bet that even is the drive is pretty full, most of the space is software filled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:35 am 
INFINITE vCORE
INFINITE vCORE

Could be a stressed power supply..i.e. the power goes over critical levels when the disc spins up.

Could be Chipset or IDE drivers, or some other device sharing badly on the same IRQ as your IDE controller ( at least this one channel)

Could be a bad IDE cable.

Could be a bad IDE controller/channel.

Other than a problem driver it is unlikely IMHO that this is a software or OS issue...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:50 am 
Professional Dork
Professional Dork

^^^^ Or a grounding issue. When the drives close, it might be jarring something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:03 am 

Ghostwheel wrote:
^^^^ Or a grounding issue. When the drives close, it might be jarring something.

no because its only doing this with audio disks, if that was the case then it would do this with all disks

Post subject: Re: Try this
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:11 am 

Flipper wrote:
That is very strange indeed. The Flashing sounds like a good idea as the other guy suggested. What I would try first is...well how much data do you actually have on the PC. You could not have filled up all 120GB could you have? Of the 120 you only have a max of 111 to start with on empty.

My suggestion is buy or borrow a USB or firewire external burner or external HDD and back up your data. Only the stuff you need. I am willing to bet that even is the drive is pretty full, most of the space is software filled.

oh, and to this guy^

I cant flash my dvd-rw drive... i try to run the flash and it claims it cant find the drive... and yes i am positive that i have the correct firmware.

and as i said, its the largest drive i have. Despite the fact that its not full, it still contains more data than any other drive i have can hold. The only other drive I can use for backup is a 60gb, and i have more than 60gb of data to back up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:43 am 
INFINITE vCORE
INFINITE vCORE

Aurora900 wrote:
Ghostwheel wrote:

no because its only doing this with audio disks, if that was the case then it would do this with all disks

Only with Audio discs?

Is it any audio disc or certain ones?

Do you have those 3 wire cd-rom audio cables connected or do you use digital through the IDE cable?

Try disconnecting these if you're using them.

Also try disabling Autoplay.

Question: What sound card do you have?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:50 am 
Team Member
Team Member

If the flash utility can't find the drive, make sure you check all IDE, power, and audio cables.

A loose or bad cable might be the culprit...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:11 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

Aurora900 wrote:

Listen close :)

Does it restart on spinup or the moment the tray closes?

If on spinup, could be a PSU issue. Even though it only does it on audio CD's. DVDs spin slower than CD's and this takes less power (learned that hacking a PS2 box).

Older CD's are also heavier than newer ones (again - PS2 lesson).

I don't think its a driver issue cuz it does it on both drives. Same goes for any drive firmware.

It could be and IDE channel issue. If you only have one drive on the HDD IDE channel can you switch one of the DVD's over as slave or what not and see if it works?

Also, as said above, disable Autoplay and see what happens. COuld be your audio software is borking XP - maybe it needs to be run in compatability mode? Just a guess.

Is the audio card integrated or seperate?

When you say its only Audio CD's are you sure about that - I mean has it ever occurred with a game CD?

What MB are you running? Could be (I doubt) a Mainboard issue.

There are a number of things I can think of - but I wanna eliminate them one at a time. So, turn autoplay off (if you have it on) and report back your findings.

Manta

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:13 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

defkhan1 wrote:
Could be a stressed power supply..i.e. the power goes over critical levels when the disc spins up.

Could be Chipset or IDE drivers, or some other device sharing badly on the same IRQ as your IDE controller ( at least this one channel)

Could be a bad IDE cable.

Could be a bad IDE controller/channel.

Other than a problem driver it is unlikely IMHO that this is a software or OS issue...

Sorry, I missed your post.

Thats what I think. Or the audio software that tries to autoplay is crashing it.

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:21 am 
INFINITE vCORE
INFINITE vCORE

Interstingly , this is a new article for today on www.overclockers.com...

http://www.overclockers.com/tips1165/

Maybe audio CD's spin up faster than data cd's or dvd's...

Just a thought...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:31 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Aurora900 wrote:

Check to see if an Error entry was recorded in the Event Viewer. If so, please reply with a description of the event.

-misterLOBY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:53 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

defkhan1 wrote:
Interstingly , this is a new article for today on www.overclockers.com...

http://www.overclockers.com/tips1165/

Maybe audio CD's spin up faster than data cd's or dvd's...

Just a thought...

They do. Much faster. I had a problem with CD's on a PS2 - this was the problem.

Manta

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:38 pm 

MantaBase wrote:
Aurora900 wrote:

Listen close :)

Does it restart on spinup or the moment the tray closes?

If on spinup, could be a PSU issue. Even though it only does it on audio CD's. DVDs spin slower than CD's and this takes less power (learned that hacking a PS2 box).

Older CD's are also heavier than newer ones (again - PS2 lesson).

I don't think its a driver issue cuz it does it on both drives. Same goes for any drive firmware.

It could be and IDE channel issue. If you only have one drive on the HDD IDE channel can you switch one of the DVD's over as slave or what not and see if it works?

Also, as said above, disable Autoplay and see what happens. COuld be your audio software is borking XP - maybe it needs to be run in compatability mode? Just a guess.

Is the audio card integrated or seperate?

When you say its only Audio CD's are you sure about that - I mean has it ever occurred with a game CD?

What MB are you running? Could be (I doubt) a Mainboard issue.

There are a number of things I can think of - but I wanna eliminate them one at a time. So, turn autoplay off (if you have it on) and report back your findings.

Manta

Manta

Never happens with anything other than audio cds (im pretty sure its never happened with a game).

It restarts when it spins the cd.

Happens with new and old cds (just got a brand new Joe Satriani cd that was released like 3 weeks ago)

All my audio software works fine with windowsXP...

Im running a Gigabyte mobo, the 8IPE-1000 pro revision 2 to be exact

Im using the built on sound (no point in a fancy Audigy card like in my other computer... these built on cards sound just fine nowadays.... plus the drivers are much better than Creative's craptastic stuff)

I shall go try your suggestions and come back with the results... later though, cause I have dinner soon... then I'm going out with friends... In the mean time, thanks for the help you've givin thus far, and any future help.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:49 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

If its not an IDE issue after you test that, I am starting to suspect its the PSU.

What size Power supply do you have (watt wise) and do you know the brand off hand?

To bring this into focus - My PS2 experience:

DVD would work fine. Older CD's worked sometimes. Newer CD's would not work.

Turns out, DVD's spin much slower than CD's due to how compact the data is on them. It takes a lot of juice to spin up a CD. If your powersupply is either too small or starting to fail, the computer could reboot or shutdown upon CD spinup but be fine during DVD use.

One test *might* be to put a dvd in both drives at the same time. If it restarts then - I am betting its a PSU problem. If not, it could still be the PSU - or it could be something else.

Tell us whats up.

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:10 am 

My PSU is most likely not the problem... I just got it in september and its not like its a cheap one either... Antec TruePower 430watt PSU... cost me almost as much as the case... lol