Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: PcLinuxOs
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:56 pm 

Anyone try PcLinux Os Yet, It is an Awesome Linux Distro with a Beautiful theme based off of some stable Mandrake stuff. Check it out http://www.pclinuxonline.com

Post subject: repartitioning
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:33 pm 

For everybody trying to repartition their harddrives, ntfsresize has been updated to handle very fragmented ntfs partitions (i.e. partitions with lots of crap at the end, which often include defragmented ones). You can use the tool manually, which I have done a few times, but if you are one who tends to make small mistakes you probably shouldn't. It involves shrinking the filesystem, deleting and recreating the parition, then expanding the filesystem to fill the new parition. Sounds scary, huh?

The latest version of (K)Ubuntu uses the latest version of ntfsresize, and will resize partitions automagically. Others listed on the ntfsresize website will also do it. So I suggest you guys use one of them to do your resizing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:46 pm 

I am trying to install Linux on a machine with XP Pro. I want to dual-boot. I have Linux Ubuntu and am having some trouble configuring it. I have several questions:

Is there a Linux that recognizes nfts partitions? I'd like to create a partition for Linux, a partition for XP Pro, and a third partition with all my files, shared by Linux and Windows. Is this possible?

I am also connected to the internet with a wireless router (Linksys Wireless G router, D-Link DWL G510 PCI Adapter) but am unable to connect. DHCP server is enabled. In the Linux Setup, it was unable to obtain the DHCP information. I've tried manually configuring the settings and it still doesn't work. What Linux distro would be good for wireless networking?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:05 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus*
Million Club - 5 Plus*

Linux can READ ntfs partitions just fine, but it can't WRITE to them.

Solution: use FAT32 for the file share partition

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:59 am 

I'm running "aLinux" (i'm a M$ ditcher - no dualboot, and I don't play games anyway)... qute a nice system GUIwise, but it's buggy and locks up every now and then (btw: Linux doesn't "like" it when you turn off the computer before running the HALT command)... you'll notice certain things with different distros, not all are the same. Many distros are "based on xxx version of Linux" - the actual version is not hard to find, the "based on" means the original distro was modified (changed) for the better or worse of the OS. It's better to have a version that has less bugs as well... read reviews if you can't get sufficient information on the OS.

If you want to know every (almost anyway) distribution out there, then check out www.linux.org

Repartitioning: Some distros do include a non-invasive (not being a HDD PIG) approach to partitions... ArkLinux can install in a friendly manner as far as dualbooting goes - it installs with your current OS (and probably creates its own filesystem too, I don't know) Though I have tried ArkLinux, I haven't tried the latter (installing ArkLinux and allowing it to have Windows partition). I haven't personally seen an easy way to partition to dual-boot with EXCEPTION to a distro that automatically separates the partition for dual-boot. Better than nothing: The distro should at least have a partitioning tool -all-inclusive-, and the HDD should be partitionable with ease.

Last edited by Nside on Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: What Nix Should you use??
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:30 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

glenn_condrey wrote:
There are two GOOD starter linuxes you can start off with.
Linspire 5.0 is good at holding your hand and installing you packages for you....but you have to PAY for that service.

There is a new distro coming from linspire, called freespire, and as it's name suggests, it is free. From their site:

"is available with 100% free, open source software or with the option to include legally licensed, 3rd party codecs, drivers and software. Legally supports (or has one-click access to support): MP3, DVD, Windows Media, QuickTime, Java, Flash, Real, ATI drivers, nVidia drivers, Adobe Acrobat Reader, proprietary WiFi drivers, fonts, and so on."

May be good for all you iPod owners out there, iTunes for Linux! This distro is not out yet, but hopefully soon, as I want to get my feet wet again with Linux.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 6:21 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I fully recommend kororaa. It's the best distro I've ever tested. You can get it here. http://kororaa.org/static.php?page=static060311-165115

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:19 am 
Klamath
Klamath

I've been toying with the idea of eventually switching to Linux, my issue is I'd like to locate a really good LiveCD to use for a while. I've tried Knoppix but it refuses to use my native 1280x1024 resolution. Ubuntu and Kubuntu will use 1280x1024 but refuses to mount my hard drives where I have all of my documents stored leaving me shit out of luck. And, I enjoy playing a lot of games as well. I've checked out Linux.org and they have quite a list of LiveCD's available, just not sure which one would give me the best overall options available.

http://www.linux.org/dist/list.html
LiveCD, Intel compatable listings.

I'm considering grabbing the GamesKnoppix, hope it will give me a 1280x1024 option though since Knoppix wont. Any other ideas for the best overall LiveCD to use? And. it is possible to play the games I have installed on my PC (UT, Quake, etc.) using one of the LiveCD's?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:24 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I've been a linux admin/architect for just over 4 yrs in a research lab. That being said, my opinion is heavily influenced by that.
WE've migrated all servers and about 80% of our workstations to linux. Even our front desk secretary uses linux.

Some suggestions for those of you that want to learn linux in the hopes of turning your skills into a career:

1) The distro doesnt matter. If you truly want to learn linux. install any distro lose the KVM and ssh into the box and do everything from the Command Line Interface (CLI). 98% of all administration is done via ssh (in a production/corporate environment) When you become dependent on the GUI, as soon as you switch to another distro, you are lost. Wheras from the CLI, it doesnt matter which distro, administration is the same.

2) Distro of choice for a prodcution/corporate environment: RedHat. Alot of people will knock RedHat, but their market footprint in the business world (US) is about 90%. In the DC/VA/MD region, if you have a RHCE and a college degree, you are golden. I have yet to run into a production environment where RedHat was not the defacto standard. Now I have seen quite a few test environment (inlcuding my own) with other distro's.

Anyone can download a copy of redhat; you just wont get the secuirty updates after 60 days. But its trivial to download the rpm's.

Post subject: Ubuntu Overrate
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:04 am 

I might get stoned for this but I am entitled to my own opinion. I hope.

I really think Ubuntu is over rated. I've been using linux for a long time now (10-15 years) not that, that matters, but Ubuntu just doesn't cut it for me for "ease of use". Granted there's some great stuff about it but for the backing it has it could be much better.

That brings me to a distro that I think needs more credit, that I feel is better then Ubuntu and has no where nere the funding.

http://www.pclinuxos.com

It's a great distro. It doesn't have a PPC version or even a 64 bit version (does have a 64bit kernel) but when it comes to ease of use, it's got that. If something is tuff and doesn't work correctly the nice people on the forums are always there to help. Check it out the worst that could happen is that you decide to stay with Ubuntu. Also it's a livecd based dsitro so you don't have to worry about installing it. There's even more good news it even has a hardware data base that just got started up.

http://www.theloveoflinux.com/hwdb

It's small but I think it's going somewhere (however I might be biased) give PCLinuxOS a try either way you'll be happy you did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:31 am 
Klamath
Klamath

my buddy insisted i learn linux from scratch

Once this summer comes aroudn I'll have a linux box to toy with. He's pretty good at Linux (Linux Server Admin and Securities). He told me to learn from Gentoo. I have the complete Guide in a Doc format if anyone wants it (like 80 some pages), I printed it out, I'm just not quite sure if I can handle it.

Windows is a breeze. I had 1 class dealing with linux in community college and I basicaly... well I played the free games (Damn Minesweeper)

Now I'm getting deeper into my CS degree. I'm going to be learning ADA.. woo. But I really wanna learn linux I'm just afraid, with all the commands, I won't be able to.

I tried Mandrake or "Mandriva" before and coulnd't really get off the ground.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:18 am 
Klamath
Klamath

for beginners linuxmint is the best. If you need an easy dual-boot or just switching over. I tried it out on my computer expecting to redo all of the script to access my "windows" side and low and behold it was done for me, so was getting win32 codecs already installed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:02 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Like this thread is about, which linux distro should I use? First off, it needs ntfs support, so no fedora or red hat. I would use it for listening to music, general web browsing, maybe a little photo editing here and there, and emulating games (like gal civ 2, an star wars galactic battle grounds). Also, I'd like to know if beryl works with all distros, or just a few, becuase I want to use that too. Another also, which one has the most community support?

Also, I'd like to point this. It said to try ubuntu or kubuntu, but I don't know how well those work with games...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:29 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Jawa78 wrote:
I will keep this simple for the simple minded people out there

I resemble that remark! :wink:

Jawa78 wrote:
If you want to learn RedHat, then use Redhat; If you want to learn Linux, then use Slackware.

Enough Said.

Though if you have some absolute objection to slackware, then try Debian and when I say Debian I mean Debian not one of these little knock of Debians like Mepis or Linspire, or Knoppix or Ubuntu or Kubuntu etc.

I want to learn Linux, and possibly use the Linux box I plan to build as a DVR/multimedia server.

Here are some details:

1. I know almost nothing about Linux.
2. I am comfortable working in a command-line environment when necessary.
3. I don't mind if I encounter some problems, that's how I learn the most.
4. It will be a dedicated Linux box (no dual boot)
5. I don't care if it runs games well or not. If I want to use it for a Linux gaming box I can always load another version of Linux.

Here's the basic system I'm thinking about making into my Linux box:

MB: Albatron K8X800 Pro II
CPU: Athlon 64 2800+
RAM: 1 GB DDR 400
Vid card: Radeon X1600 Series

Advice, anyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:33 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I decided to jump in the deep end and start with Slackware. Then I remembered how short an attention span I have when I couldn't get it to boot after installing, so I downloaded and installed Ubuntu. It worked without a hitch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:19 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

i -am running knoppix 5.1.1 currently, and looking to switch to a more permanent solution.some things i am looking for in a distro are:
1- ease of use at first, but full featured once it is learned
2- ability to play windows games easily, without losing too much performance
3- i dunno...i guess that is pretty much it. i must say that i was a windows junkie, i loved it, knew the os pretty well in-and-out, ive just been having so many problems with it lately, that i decided to finally switch (ive been dabbling with live-cd's for a while now, and wanting to switch, just never had too good of a reason.) but i am still so capable with windows, that i would prefer to have something as close to windows as possible, just sans m$ problems...
if you could please help me, it would be much obliged. :D
oh, and also, as i said, i am running knoppix right now, so, if you could please include instructions on how to obtain and install the distro you recco, that too would be appreciated.

Post subject: Linux Distros
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:14 am 

I would read this list carefully and choose from these. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:29 pm 

Use Ubuntu if it will run, otherwise use Geento or DSL!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:54 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

what would be a good distro for setting up a media server

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:59 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus*
Million Club - 5 Plus*

What do you want to do with the media server?

Will it be hooked up to a TV (i.e. HTPC) or just sitting there serving files?