Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Safe Mode Installing and Uninstalling
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:37 am 

I have rarely have used Safe Mode, but I wonder if Safe Mode is suitable for installing and uninstalling programs that tend to crash or freeze up the
system (using Win 98, IE 5.5) when installing or uninstalling them?

I'm thinking mainly of AntiVirus and web accelerator programs, several of
which I have had problems with when installing and uninstalling. Right now, I'm trying to get rid of an accelerator, NetSonic Pro 2.0 on my system, and I understand uninstallation can be difficult

Somewhere I read that in Safe Mode, full registry access isn't available,
though I wonder what that means. So I wonder if uninstalls in Safe Mode
might work OK, but installs might not.

Has anyone any experience with Safe Mode for installs/uninstalls?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:16 am 
Willamette
Willamette

You can edit the registry fine in safe mode. Its just that the programs in your startup configuration wont all turn on.

You could manually uninstall these things, but I recommend getting spybot search and destroy from www.download.com or www.safer-networking.org to clean out your system. it's all automated and very sweet.

Post subject: Safe mode = good
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:53 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Safe mode is the prefered mode for when your pc is having stability problems and you need to remove software. It will load the most basic files that are needed to run windows.

I would not reccomend working in Safe Mode for regular usage just for troubleshooting your problem

Post subject: Re: Safe Mode Installing and Uninstalling
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:13 am 

[quote="academician"]...I wonder if Safe Mode is suitable for installing and uninstalling programs that tend to crash or freeze up the
system (using Win 98, IE 5.5) when installing or uninstalling them?

...full registry access isn't available...quote]

You cant use add/remove programs (the best way to uninstall something) in safemode normally.

You do have full registry access (or at least I have always been able to do what I want in safe mode). You can use regedit to remove apps from loading, remove keys from any program in safemode, remove items from the msconfig lists or add/remove programs list.

Safe mode is very useful for manually deleting files that are being loaded, some new spyware is tricky in that it still loads in safe mode though. There is a program called MoveonBoot that you can use to get a file deleted before it loads, even in safe mode though.

Best thing to do in your case is to go into safemode, use msconfig and uncheck the apps giving you problems so they dont boot. Then try to go into normal mode and uninstall them using add/remove programs. You can do the same thing in the registy though if you know where to go. Most apps that are difficult to remove, you can just delete the directories and remove the programs from the registy by searching for file names (use regsupremepro or something).