Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Oh my!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:57 am 
Top 10 (2 Million)
Top 10 (2 Million)

Red all over my threat list! Chitty burning me up. Adak and Panamon_Creel smoking me, too. Nice folding, guys! Can't have this, though. Gotta see if the SMP client treats me as well as it has others...

Post subject: Re: Oh my!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:21 am 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

ntmr2us wrote:
Red all over my threat list! Chitty burning me up. Adak and Panamon_Creel smoking me, too. Nice folding, guys! Can't have this, though. Gotta see if the SMP client treats me as well as it has others...

It will treat you even better if you challenge someone to a deul!! :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:35 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

ntmr2us wrote:

It works great! Highly recommended. Just do it step by step - if you think about taking a shortcut, just remember the Donner Party. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

A lot of the top producer's should be beating my production, quite badly. I believe you're one of them, ntmr. You just need to take the Linux leap into SMP with a few rigs.

Adak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:33 pm 
Top 10 (2 Million)
Top 10 (2 Million)

Spider Monkey wrote:
ntmr2us wrote:

Yeah! I have you in my sights, for ppd. Hey, at least I can dream, huh? Got an SMP itch I need to scratch... I should start seeing results today.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:35 pm 

ntmr2us wrote:
Spider Monkey wrote:
ntmr2us wrote:

Yeah! I have you in my sights, for ppd. Hey, at least I can dream, huh? Got an SMP itch I need to scratch... I should start seeing results today.

Good luck! I think we're up to four of 'em. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:52 pm 
Top 10 (2 Million)
Top 10 (2 Million)

I installed Ubuntu on 9 rigs, yesterday. Bummer is I have to use this one (Opt 165 @2.56) to finish all of the Windows WUs I had :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:08 pm 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

ntmr2us wrote:
I installed Ubuntu on 9 rigs, yesterday. Bummer is I have to use this one (Opt 165 @2.56) to finish all of the Windows WUs I had :?

Holy crap, are all 9 of them SMP boxes???

9 SMP boxes should average around 9,000PPD, that would be enough to earn you a spot in the Top 10. :shock:

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:21 pm 
Top 10 (2 Million)
Top 10 (2 Million)

Yep! All SMP. 10 with the laptop. I might even install it on this one, and use the kids box to finish the Windows units

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:47 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Great addition, Ntmr2us!

We're now out folding OCAU, but losing out about 15,000 ppd to Overclocker's.com. The O/C'ers have adapted well to the new high point clients, and are using them extensively in their farms.

This will help stop the slide. If we can just get a few more teammates to "make the Linux SMP leap", we may start gaining on them again. :P

Wouldn't that be good to see?

So, who's next?

Adak

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:25 am 
Top 10 (2 Million)
Top 10 (2 Million)

Heh. I can't stand it. I'm going to install Ubuntu on this one, after it finishes the 1167 it's working on. 96% done. I hit the "buy" button on another Gigabyte 'DS3 and an E6600 a while ago. It's going to replace this one as my "main" rig. The other 'DS3 and the E6400 (@3.12) is doing 5 mins 33 secs on a 3020. I should be able to get 3.4 or so from the 6600. Drools...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:38 am 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

ntmr2us wrote:
Heh. I can't stand it. I'm going to install Ubuntu on this one, after it finishes the 1167 it's working on. 96% done. I hit the "buy" button on another Gigabyte 'DS3 and an E6600 a while ago. It's going to replace this one as my "main" rig. The other 'DS3 and the E6400 (@3.12) is doing 5 mins 33 secs on a 3020. I should be able to get 3.4 or so from the 6600. Drools...

I certainly hope you keep building like this when you join the monkey federation....... we would love you to stay this enthusiastic when you join us..... :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:37 am 
Top 10 (2 Million)
Top 10 (2 Million)

Hehehe! I thought about it. Can't take the plunge, yet. I think I'm going to join G in his quest to be helpful. SI needs to be in the top 20, I think. I want 2 weeks to see what the ppd does. Then it's time to DONATE! I'll be around when the Monkey Challenge happens again. Just like last year. I'm on Ubuntu at the moment, so this makes 11 doing SMP. This should make an interesting week for points, especially with the new rig coming...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:16 pm 

Adak wrote:
So, who's next?

Adak

Dang it man! If it ain't a link, don't let it be red! You're driving me nuts! lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:53 pm 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

ntmr2us wrote:
Hehehe! I thought about it. Can't take the plunge, yet. I think I'm going to join G in his quest to be helpful. SI needs to be in the top 20, I think. I want 2 weeks to see what the ppd does. Then it's time to DONATE! I'll be around when the Monkey Challenge happens again. Just like last year. I'm on Ubuntu at the moment, so this makes 11 doing SMP. This should make an interesting week for points, especially with the new rig coming...

If you want to squeeze a little more out of those SMP's you will change over to the server version of Ubuntu. You won't have the GUI and other things not needed for folding taking up cpu cycles. Belboz99 has a thread here somewhere about it.
I've got it on cd just waiting to finish what I currently have folding to change mine over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:52 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

dedgar wrote:
ntmr2us wrote:

If you want to squeeze a little more out of those SMP's you will change over to the server version of Ubuntu. You won't have the GUI and other things not needed for folding taking up cpu cycles. Belboz99 has a thread here somewhere about it.
I've got it on cd just waiting to finish what I currently have folding to change mine over.

I'm intrigued, dedgar. I just haven't seen any numbers for this server version running SMP, compared to the desktop version. Any info on THAT?

Because once a folder is working, it's pretty common to need to change the client.cfg file (say to donate a WU to a noobie on the team), or d/l and decompress a new SMP vesion (like we had to earlier this month). Maybe do a bit of browsing on it, (like I am doing right now).

Without the pull down menu's to assist, I would be lost on how to do anything with only the Command Line Interface, staring back at me.

I urge anyone considering any Linux version which only gives you a CLI, to be sure they're ready and have a list of many of the common commands you will want to perform, before trying to gain what may amount to a very small increase indeed. And it would be really good if we could geet some comparison numbers along with this recommendation.

I've read Dan's post, and it seems nice - power savings + faster folding. Unfortunately, and critically, there are NO NUMBERS for comparison.

So what is the basis for the recommendation? Just an opinion and no facts?
I don't want to be hypercritical, but it's hard enough to get people to use 64 bit Linux + SMP, anyway. Now we're making it much harder with this idea - but we have no facts to make it credible?

Spider-Monkey: Phooey! You were nuts LONG before you started reading my posts with red font colors in them. IMO only a few colors look good on a text post: Blue, and Red being foremost. I'll try and use more blue, keep an eye on your cursor, and enjoy any nuts you find. :P

Adak

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:47 am 

LMAO!

The problem is the damn squirrels. They keep hording the nuts and I can't find any!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:20 am 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

Adak, I have no numbers to pass along. I only have what Belboz99 has stated in the thread:
http://www.maximumpc.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=52451

Maybe if you ask him he can pass along some data on PPD difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:06 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
3.6@4.2

the above is always made red when i enter it as an overclocked cpu and is made a link, i dont know why, and the numbers dont matter.

and it links to outlook express, something i have never used.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:08 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)
Monkey Federation (Top 10)

it's because of the "@" sign in it

because of that the boards think that it is an email address and makes it a "mailto" link which will by default try to start up your email client and send an email to "3.6@4.2" (which we all know doesn't exist)

it's an automatically formatted link

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:32 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

dedgar wrote:
Adak, I have no numbers to pass along. I only have what Belboz99 has stated in the thread:
http://www.maximumpc.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=52451

Maybe if you ask him he can pass along some data on PPD difference.

If Dan had actual facts from tests, I'm quite sure he would have included them in his post. He's a thorough guy.

When he says he has a system folding at less than 100 watts, but doesn't have a Kill A Watt meter, I ask myself:

* "Does he have an expensive clamp meter to measure this with? "No, probably not."

*"Does he have an ammeter to measure the current directly with?" "No, probably not".

*"Is he using Ohm's law and factoring in the RMS coeffecient to derive the power being used? "No, probably not." Simply because if he were, he would have mentioned it. He's a thorough guy, and wouldn't leave that out, imo.

*"Is he stating an opinion, or estimate, unsupported by actual measurements?" "Yes, I believe so." Nothing wrong with that, btw. I'm quite sure he HAS decreased the power consumption of that computer, but let's not jump on estimates, and treat them as facts to base recommendations on, without some actual test numbers.

His idea is VERY interesting and could be quite valuable for some folders who share his expertise in Linux. I believe that is who he was "aiming" that particular post at. Not Linux noobs like me.

Adak