Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Sound card improve frame rates in games?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 5:46 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Just a quick question. Does having a pci sound card really improve frame rates in games as oppose to using on board sound? Just curious.

Also, I haved a SB Live, but I'm considering getting the latest from Creative. However, I don't want to trade in my Logitech Z340 because I don't have room for a 4.1 setup or higher. Will getting a new sound card improve my gaming experience?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:22 pm 

I know that different sound cards produce different game performance, so I would assume that onboard does also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:32 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

well having a pci sound card you have different processors on the card doing the job that the cpu would for an onboard so it is more likely that you will se an increase in frame rate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 8:49 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

well some articles say that onboard sound and pci soundcard do producce or reduce frame rates in games but i dont really notice. supposedly they say that the soundstorm onboard sound that the nforceIIs came out with reduce bottlenecks in games and produce more framerates but to me i dont really notice nor care.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:20 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Simple answer is 'yes'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:22 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

LOL...One4yu2c has the best answer as usual:D

While posts based on what they hear, read, what their buddy joe told them, or "nor care about" should be thrown right in the garbage.

I'm still highly mifffed at onboard sound and will not use it until they can even dare to compare to add-on cards. Everyone of my systems with onboard sound are tried when they're first built and sound like shit to me. My Gigabyte has Realtek ALC650 AC'97 codec and my Abit as well. I turn them off in the BIOS as soon as I get to that part in the build that I install an SB card. I just don't like the sound. But that's opinion.

Now, while an arguement is drawn out on the Frame Rate drops (which I will have to agree with), I'd like to bring up 4.1 sound in games that is a fact you're going to have to really consider. 4.1 sound helps in every FPS I've played! Even going back to CS/TFC, the footsteps were important. Now in COD, without at least 4.1, you're bound to get ass-raped. If you play and notice that you are following someone and seem to not notice you, it's a huge chance they're playing on 2.1 or below. I bet your death rate will lower a large amount by getting used to the surround sound a 4.1 rig will afford you.

Case in point: For some reason, at one point my Audigy2 would revert to 2.1 in the speaker settings on startup. I wouldn't notice at first, but if I fired up a game I did notice my ass getting handed to me. When I remembered, I'd go back and switch it to 5.1 and I'm back in action!

Frame Rates are arguable to me. Taking COD again: on one machine, it caps it at 30FPS, then I go to my other rig and I get 90FPS. There is very little that my eye can tell that there's a big gap in FPS, but again...my scores are somewhat better on the higher framed session. It MAY have more to do with player prediction (where the enemy are drawn where they actually aren't) than it has to do with visual quality. A millisecond here and there makes a difference on leading a shot.

With driving games or RPG's, it may make more sense to up the visual quality and take the FPS hit than it would be to get as many frames up as you can. I've noticed in games you shoot in (including flying) that I'd rather have a few more frames than all the settings turned up.

I'm rambling, huh? Let's get back...space is a concern. Can I ask what's the space limitation caused by? There's some wicked headphones as well out there that can help!

Oh, and I'd nudge ya to just get the Audigy2 gamer just because. Some have spoken bad about EAX2 in the games, but I still find it pretty good.

Post subject: Re: Sound card improve frame rates in games?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 1:56 pm 

edm203 wrote:
Just a quick question. Does having a pci sound card really improve frame rates in games as oppose to using on board sound? Just curious.

Also, I haved a SB Live, but I'm considering getting the latest from Creative. However, I don't want to trade in my Logitech Z340 because I don't have room for a 4.1 setup or higher. Will getting a new sound card improve my gaming experience?

definitely (note that it is spelled correctly) helps to have a SB Audigy 2 ZS PLT. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:01 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

depends. if the sound card has its own decoder it will. if it makes the CPU decode, no good.

also, if you turn off the sound, you get even better frame rates