Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: My Sis's Intel comp is running at 46-49C...
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:09 am 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

Hey all. My sister started complaining about her computer shutting down on it's own. Naturally, I assumed heat was the problem.

I went to her house the computer was running. I rebooted it to check the BIOS for temp readings and was shocked to see that her Intel CPU was running at 76C!

Quickly I shut off her PC and looked behind the comp for any obvious air blockages. I quicky discovered that her case fan had a 1/4" of dust covering 90% of the holes. I took a damp rag and removed the dust, but then realzised that the fan blades were coated in dust. So, I took off the side panel and took the fan out. I removed all the dust from it with another damp rag and proceeded to check out he HSF. I took the HSF off the CPU with little effort and found that there was a 1/2" of dust between the HSF and the bottom of the HS. I wiped off what I could, then went outside and blew out the rest. I reasembled it all and plugged it back in.

I immediatly went into the BIOS to make sure that evry thing was right, and found that the temp was now 46-49C. I think that's way too hot for an Intel chip without oc'ing. Of course, the ambient temp was about 25-28C, but still.

I then looked at her fan speeds. IIRC, the CPU HSF was at 3,000 RPM and the Case fan was at 2,000 RPM. That kind of surprised me. I mean, my 80mm CPU fan runs a good 2,600 RPM, but her HSF was no 80mm. I'm not sure what size her case fan was, but it couldn't have been larger than 80mm.

So, should I replace any of her fans? I think they may have been working too hard, and are wearing out. I didn't feel much air coming out the back of the computer, except for the PSU. In fact, her case temp was 40C, just 9C cooler than her CPU.

Well, let me know what you think I should do.

The machine is an HP, I forget the model #, but it's a 2.2ghz pavilion.

Dan O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:43 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

To play with airflow, I'd invest in some higher CFM rated fans. You'll have to balance between performance and noise, and you'll also need to know what size (sounds like 60mm if you're sure they're smaller than 80).

I'd also invest in some AS5, as you mentioned there was dust between the heatsink and proc when you cleaned it, but no mention of reapplying any thermal compound. I'd give it a thorough cleaning with alcohol and q-tips, spread a small layer of AS5, replace the fans, and call it a day. I'd also invest in a can of compressed air :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:48 am 
Evil Overclockin' Genius
Evil Overclockin' Genius

Well, that's part of the tradeoff you get when purchasing an OEM computer...they cut corners, especially on cooling...sure, those temps will shorten the life of the processor, but the average life is probably ten years...if you take 2 or 3 off that, the processor still has a longer life than it will probably actually serve... :cry:

Also, most people prefer a quiet computer, and quiet fans that move a lot of CFM are expensive...easier to throw a cheap low CFM fan in there...if your sister would prefer quiet or does not want to invest in more expesnive fans to make it quiet AND cooler, I'd just clean up the airflow as best as possible and leave it that way...it'll be fine, it's just an HP... ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 12:07 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

id leave it alone. unless she does something that stresses the CPU on a regular basis (ie: gaming), i wouldnt worry about it.

sure its a bit hot at 49C, but nothing SUPER high like 75C
might want to invest in a new HSF instead of just a new fan if you were to change something

Post subject: Re: My Sis's Intel comp is running at 46-49C...
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 2:16 pm 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

One4U2c has the best advice. OEM or no, that proc should be running 40C or less at a room temp of 25C at idle. Higher temp in the room you add 1 to 1 (so at 28 it should idle less than 43)

You really need to have thermal paste. Its doesn't have to be Artic Silver - but why not? Its the best and its cheap. If you are not sure how to apply it just ask.

Now, onto dust. Use commpressed air before you use a damp rag. Damp cloths tend to make dust stick inplaces you don't want it too.

Also - your fan speed. HP as well as many OEM's use fan contol to limit noise.

One trick I have used is Motherboard Monitor. It has a tendancy to disable fan control on some boards - thus the fans ramp upto max. This drops my over all temps ~5C.

If you want more info - you can post or go to thier forum.

There are other things that can be done, like using rounded cables.

I am not so worried about 49C as I am about what happens during load. Motherboard Mon can tell you that as well.

Manta

Manta

Post subject: Temps
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 8:12 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

46C is not too bad but could be better. I try to keep mine between 30-40C regular stuff not much gaming.

As far as the air flow coming out the back. Just remember that if you connect the adaptes that says fans only you'll get much less power and basically don't hear anything at all but you also don't feel anything either. Mine does the same. What you might want to invest in is a better case not necessarly the fans.

If the case has bad air flow then there is not much you can do. I experiance the same thing. I had one case cost $25 and temp was around 47-55C and that was with a fan blower that attached to the back of the PS. That lowered the temp by 6 degrees.

Then I bought the Antec 1080 case same parts and everything lowered temp by 10-15 degrees